Simple recipes using chickpeas?

Options
Hi,

Does anyone have any simple recipes using chickpeas that the really like? I'm not looking to do anything overly involved, so simplicity would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I make hummus out of them and eat it bell peppers.
    Stef.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Chickpea curry. Fry onions, add minced garlic and curry powder to taste and fry briefly, then add cooked chickpeas and stock or tinned tomatoes. Bubble for a while. If you want, thicken with cornflour/water paste or ground almonds, or give it a few pulses with a hand blender to mush some of the chickpeas, which will also thicken it.

This is mini-Catt's favourite meal. For her birthday she asked for roast chicken and chickpea curry - I thought it was a random request, but actually it was a darn good dinner! We had yellow rice with it as well (boiled rice with turmeric)
  • wonderbolt_in_training
    Options
    ROAST 'EM! For real! They turn crunchy and yummy and you have a high-protein snack.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-spicy-oven-roasted-chickpeas
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use them in place of tuna to make a "tuna salad".... basically cook them and mash them up (but not to the consistency of hummus, leave it a little chunky) and then treat it like you would a tuna (or chicken) salad... I use a little light mayo, seasonings, tomato, pickle, etc. Just something different.

I also really like chickpeas in indian food. I'll cook them with zucchini and carrots and some sort of curry or masala sauce packet.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use them in place of tuna to make a "tuna salad".... basically cook them and mash them up (but not to the consistency of hummus, leave it a little chunky) and then treat it like you would a tuna (or chicken) salad... I use a little light mayo, seasonings, tomato, pickle, etc. Just something different.

This! I actually prefer it to actual tuna salad. Delicious!
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    ROAST 'EM! For real! They turn crunchy and yummy and you have a high-protein snack.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-spicy-oven-roasted-chickpeas

This! One of my favorite snacks.
  • massromanticfool
    massromanticfool Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quinoa-with-Grilled-Zucchini-Garbanzo-Beans-and-Cumin-242997

Made this for dinner this week and it is delicious. If you divide it into 4 servings instead of 6 and reduce the oil to 40 grams instead of 5 tablespoons, you can turn it into a filling main dish for only 350 or so calories a serving. It keeps well too, if you like cooking ahead.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Drain and mash them with a fork, then mix in chopped onion and celery (however much you want), a half cup of mayonnaise, a splash of lemon juice, and LOTS of dill. So, so good. Spread on some bread...mmm. Excellent. I toss in a chopped bell pepper sometimes, too -- also delish.
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love them stir-fried with steamed kale, olive oil and lots of garlic. Delicious and healthy!
  • StreetBystander
    StreetBystander Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had this for lunch yesterday and thought it was tasty:

1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
    1/2 cup cooked pearl barley
    1/2 cup frozen corn (heated for 1 minute in the microwave in 1 cup of water, then drained)
    1/4 cup salsa

Mixed and topped on some fresh baby spinach. Add seasoning as desired.

You could add any other grain or skip the grain portion altogether if you're so inclined. Fiddle with the ratios. Adding corn and salsa to any legume is pretty much a win every time for me and it's so quick to put together if you have cooked beans just hanging out in your fridge.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I usually like to boil them and eat them as a salad. I usually put 120 gr chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, diced parmesan cheese, seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice and pepper. Sometimes I even add some boiled spelt.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    yes ! just a few ingredients and sooooo flippin delicious. Bruschetta roasted chickpeas
    http://ak.pinterest.com/pin/70509550390307607/
  • ladyu
    ladyu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    chickpea, lemon juice, garlic salt, salt & pepper, olive oil. perfect salad!
  • Gshort78
    Gshort78 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that just opens the can, rinses with hot water, and eats the whole can as a snack?
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    http://valsocal.blogspot.com/2013/04/healthy-garbonzo-bean-salad.html
    This may be more involved than you want, but it makes a lot and is really good. I also top lettuce salads with them. I saw a recipe yesterday for chickpea tacos. That would be good and easy also.
  • arios952013
    arios952013 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like to make chickpea flour and use it for pizza crust, pasta and wraps!
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like to make brown rice, throw a can of chickpeas in, some frozen chopped spinach (or fresh if i have it), some garlic, and chicken. LOADED with protein :)
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add a can of chickpeas to my "beans dishes" -- chickpeas, kidney beans, black beans (any kinds of beans), fire roasted diced tomatoes, red onion, green peppers, and frozen corn. Makes a lot to eat as a side dish or main dish throughout the week!