Cardio or weights first ???

Options
2»

Replies

• lozzatao
    lozzatao Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks one and all .. can't do 'leg days' as following my back injury it is very inflexible .. to the point where I can't keep my back straight doing squats ... so the only leg work work I really do is on the bike !!!

Defo felt the difference in the gym today doing weights first and cardio second !! haha
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Weights first, don't waste an ounce of energy on cardio first because you need it to give everything you have to wrecking your muscles.

this. with this being the only exception
    I do my cardio first because 1) right now I am training for a race and 2) if I don't do it first then I won't do it at all.

I used to be a # 2 excuse type person- but I got over it LOL- I still struggle with it I get it in when I need to

- but really the priority of training for a race is important and would be a priority.

as far as leg day and not being able to do it- you probably could work with a therapist to improve the conditions- because never doing anything but biking and doing a lot of upper body is not a good position to be in honestly.

Lunges? Split squats?
    BB bridge lifts
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Stretch - Weights then Cardio

Why? You don't want to wear yourself down from Cardio before lifting.

Since most people around here think that cardio is mindless, wimpy exercise, why would it make any difference.

How could a True Bro EVER become "worn down" by something as menial as cardio?

A manly, muscle-wrecker intimidated by a little treadmill?

Strange days, indeed.........
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Stretch - Weights then Cardio

Why? You don't want to wear yourself down from Cardio before lifting.

Since most people around here think that cardio is mindless, wimpy exercise, why would it make any difference.

How could a True Bro EVER become "worn down" by something as menial as cardio?

A manly, muscle-wrecker intimidated by a little treadmill?

Strange days, indeed.........

Where did people say Cardio was mindless??, must be a different thread i'm reading. I do cardio and also run, but not before I do any heavy lifting. Just like I'm not going to go for a new Squat PR before I go for a run, just not beneficial.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Where did people say Cardio was mindless??

Oh there are plenty of threads containing that sentiment, although I concur not particularly evident here.

Lots of people that fairly thoughtlessly advocate a single mode of training, or indeed a single type of activity, as the ONE TRUE WAY(tm)
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Where did people say Cardio was mindless??

Oh there are plenty of threads containing that sentiment, although I concur not particularly evident here.

Lots of people that fairly thoughtlessly advocate a single mode of training, or indeed a single type of activity, as the ONE TRUE WAY(tm)

I certainly agree about other threads and seeing that kind of behavior. Just didn't feel like this thread was about that. The comment seemed more like a rant, which is fine, but do it on the threads in question.
  • 90anvv
    90anvv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always do a 10-15 min warm up, either use the rotating stair machine or row machine. A few times a week after my workout I will do some HIIT on the treadmill or skipping rope. I find that I get a far better workout by getting all my muscles warmed up and my blood flowing. Mind you I am at the gym at 4:45am every morning and need a good warm up. to wake me up.
  • ditditdee
    ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I usually split up the cardio, use it as a warm up and cool down so to speak. Then I slip the weights in the middle. But really, you have to find what works for you.

This is what I do. 10-15 minute cardio warm-up, stretch, weights, then proper cardio, then a cool-down stretch. Good luck!
  • jcallejabjj
    Options
    Weights first then cardio. I start of with a lap at the highest setting on incline for warm up at a medium pace. Then kill it on the rest of the run at 0.0 level on incline.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I heard once that you should do the workout you want the most out of first. So I switch it back and forth. Sometimes I run first and then do weights. Sometimes I do weights and then run. Maybe it makes no difference. Idk but this is what I do.