Am I doing something wrong with dumbbell shoulder press?

Options
krhn
krhn Posts: 781 Member
Basically every time I hit weights (28kg dumbbells) where I can only manage 4-7 reps, from the ground position to where my arms are parallel to the floor, my body seems to slant in an awkward position trying to push the weight to resting position (my left arm is slightly weaker than my right) and on occasions I can't even complete the set as I can't get the weights on my shoulders in the first place - but usually after the first push, I can rep it out fairly easy and stable, any reason why? And how do I improve on this (get heavier), currently on a caloric deficit if that helps?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    so the question is why are you leaning to the side? beats me

or is the question why is the first rep so hard? no elasticity effect
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had a rotator injury or a tendon tear?
  • krhn
    Options
    so the question is why are you leaning to the side? beats me

or is the question why is the first rep so hard? no elasticity effect

I think both - but not leaning to the side per se - it seems my spine compensates by having a wavy shape (thats what I see in the mirror) instead of having a straight spine
  • krhn
    Options
    Have you ever had a rotator injury or a tendon tear?

I am actually not sure, but I work as a postman on weekends so I do use my left shoulder as the predominant side for carrying the mail bag... if it is an injury, I have probably not recovered for at least 1 - 2 years! :sad:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    stop using weights that you are not yet strong enough to support.
  • Ashes_To_Beast
    Ashes_To_Beast Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Simple, it's too heavy...
    Use lighter weight and focus on your form. Be humble, add weight progressivly... But for now.. It's too damn heavy.
    Cheers

And why are you on a deficit...? If that's you in the profile pic you need to be at a surpluss, you won't gain mass or strength on a deficit, nothing noticible anyway...
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Are you doing them seated or standing? If seated, use your knees to get the dumbbells into positions. At some point, you may need a spotter to hand you one of the dumbbells, as it only gets more awkward to move them into position as you increase the weight. Another option is to clean them into position, if you're comfortable with that movement.

Edit just to add: You aren't necessarily using too heavy of a weight *if* you can rep them once you get them into position. Dumbbells tend to get more awkward as the weight increases.
  • krhn
    Options
    stop using weights that you are not yet strong enough to support.

But i've actually stuck to lighter weights (26kg) in the past and gone for higher reps for 4-6 weeks and each time I get to this weight, everything crumbles! :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    So wait, just to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Your issue is not actually the should press, it is getting the weights up to starting position so you can do the shoulder press?

If I read that correctly then that is not an uncommon problem. I've actually dealt with that before. It can be it's own workout trying to even get dumbells to starting position for some of the lifts.

Not sure what resources you have but what you may want to do is start to add cleans to your workout routine and in the meantime trade your dumbbell shoulder press for a barbell military press in a power rack or smith machine. Your body will actually respond really quickly to cleans like it does with squats and deadlifts so you won't be stuck doing them forever before you return. It is basically the same motion you will be using to get your dumbbells up. In the meantime you can keep advancing your shoulders with the military press.

Interested to hear other suggestions though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    So I'm assuming you're doing them standing? If so, then maybe try seated (with a back support) presses and use your legs to "kick up" weights to your shoulders.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • krhn
    Options
    So wait, just to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Your issue is not actually the should press, it is getting the weights up to starting position so you can do the shoulder press?

If I read that correctly then that is not an uncommon problem. I've actually dealt with that before. It can be it's own workout trying to even get dumbells to starting position for some of the lifts.

Not sure what resources you have but what you may want to do is start to add cleans to your workout routine and in the meantime trade your dumbbell shoulder press for a barbell military press in a power rack or smith machine. Your body will actually respond really quickly to cleans like it does with squats and deadlifts so you won't be stuck doing them forever before you return. It is basically the same motion you will be using to get your dumbbells up. In the meantime you can keep advancing your shoulders with the military press.

Interested to hear other suggestions though.

Yes this!!! :happy: Thanks for suggestion as well!
  • krhn
    Options
    So I'm assuming you're doing them standing? If so, then maybe try seated (with a back support) presses and use your legs to "kick up" weights to your shoulders.

IDEA Fitness member

Nope I do them sitting and do kick up weights - its probably the second after kicking up my left arm I struggle...
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    my body seems to slant in an awkward position trying to push the weight to resting position (my left arm is slightly weaker than my right) and on occasions

AKA You are using your lower back to support the load (hence, the bend in your spine).

The solution is more glutes. Squeeze em as hard as you can. Maybe do some glute activation work like thrust or clams before hand. If you don't fix this, you 'll for sure get hurt once you progress to heavier weights.

EDIT: I now see that your problem is the clean, haha. Yes - learn that.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Nope I do them sitting and do kick up weights - its probably the second after kicking up my left arm I struggle...

Oh dude, that's your problem right there. The knee kick up to position is great in all but if your arms aren't strong enough to continue the motion then you are out of luck. You've been watching more advanced peeps in the gym haven't you?

Stand in front of where you want to sit with the dumbbells on the ground. Do the clean motion to fire them up there to starting position. Your legs will be strong enough to give you enough momentum to where the transfer of weight to your upper body will be minimum. Then sit down and have fun. The first couple times you do this, do them with lower weights so your body can learn the motion and you don't fling the weight on some poor guy standing around you.

If you find your arms drifting from position then you need to drop weight. Why dumbbells are so awesome is because you are not locked into position so it is not JUST your main muscle that has to do the work, you are also forcing your ancillary muscles to do their thing as well and...you are only as strong as your weakest link there.