Weekly Shopping List

Options
Hey all,

I realised that on this journey, I am educating myself a lot about nutrition. I was curious to hear what everyone typically buys on their weekly shop and why, e.g. low fat yoghurts, or brown bread etc.

I know I'm going to have to make some changes in what I put into my body which will mean a change in my shopping so any advice would be much appreciated. Especially in the areas of: snacks and basics for the store cupboard.

Thanks!

Christabel

Replies

• aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of yogurt, cereal bars, whole grain cereal, fat free milk, spinach, broccoli, red and yellow bell peppers, and all kinds of meat.

For snacks I would keep cereal bars, trail mix, and fruit around the house.

I love coke and sweets, but if I don't have them around I can't eat them!
  • roniredd
    roniredd Posts: 48
    Options
    Tons of fruits and vegetables. They always top my list.
    Skim milk, lowfat yogurt/cheese, 45 calorie slice wheat bread, eggs
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, high fiber/protein cereal, soy milk that is near equal protein/carb intake, veggies, some snacks (salty snacks), sandwich wraps, onsale deli lunch meat, then usually whatever raw meat is on sale that week
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Here's my list of staples:

Walnuts
    Sunflower seeds
    Tomato
    Spinach (raw and frozen)
    Broccoli
    Onion
    Celery
    Carrot
    Sweet potato
    Oranges
    Apples
    Frozen blueberries
    Lentil
    Dry beans
    Canned beans
    Oats
    Ezekiel 4:9 bread
    Wasa crisp bread
    Greek yogurt
    Soy milk
    Cottage cheese
    Whey protein
    Mozzarella
    Egg
    Canned salmon
    Canned tuna
    Frozen chicken breasts
    Extra lean turkey ham
    Dark chocolate
    Beer
    Red wine
    Olive oil
    Lite whipped dressing
    Greek whipped cream cheese
    Neufchatel
    Stevia and sugar blend
    Apple cider vinegar
    Lemon juice
    Coffee
    Protein bars
  • raholden88
    Options
    I tend to buy mostly fruit I know I'll eat and won't tired of, Apples (switch between Pink Lady my fiance loves and whatever standard), Bananas, and Plums and Grapes in season. Strawberries more so now that the prices are coming down. Lots of mixed veggies, onions, potatoes (baby reds and sweet potatoes), carrots, baby brussels, baby spinach and mushrooms. Tend to make a lot of sauted or roasted vegetables as sides to skinless chicken breasts or salmon (both individually packaged filets from costco). Other than that, high fiber cereal and oatmeal breads, occasional salty snacks, mostly sweet potato chips and 100 calorie popcorn, and my newest fixation, Sobe Zero Lifewaters. Drink these in the morning now instead of my iced coffees for my sweet fix. They have Stevia and sugar alcohol and a few have "natural flavoring" but they're otherwise pretty good, with added vitamins, and come 5 for $5, which is much more of a value than the Starbucks iced coffees I was drinking.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I don't have a particular list because I eat anything I want but stay within my calorie range. I load up on fruits and veggies. My snacks include peanut butter, low-sodium trail mix, goldfish crackers, string and block cheese, and all kinds of 50-150-calorie snacks.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i make a meal plan and shop for that. depends on what i'm eating week to week. find 7 or 8 snacks you really like, and keep those things on hand.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack is apple slices and peanut butter. I could live off that stuff.

When shopping, try to stay in the outer perimeter of the store. That's where all the fruits, veggies, low fat dairy, meats are. Get very few boxed foods because they are usually full of crap. :happy:
  • christabellion
    christabellion Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies guys. Great ideas to help me get started x