Emotional Eating.

Options
If I am organised and if I am happy I have control of my eating habits. If I am sad, stressed or angry my eating goes out of control. how do I maintain being on a diet when I have to deal with really stressful life situations????????!!!!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't have a complete answer for this because I still struggle with it myself, but I'm a big fan of working on new habits to handle stress and channel it before I get to the eating stage.

I see a therapist to help with my anxiety and depression, I also keep a journal and try to find hobbies that keep me busy. I have things that I reach for before a snack. I make a cup of tea. I have two or three baby carrots. I get up and distract myself or leave the house when I feel like snacking. I use delaying tactics (check the clock and tell myself I can have a snack in another hour - usually by then I've forgotten about it).

Sometimes I take things one day, one hour, even one minute at a time if I need to. I'm not going to go over my calories today/this hour/right now. I might later, but right now I'm going to stick to my routine.

It doesn't always work and there are still plenty of days where I come home and eat too much after a stressful day at work, but it gets better little by little.
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options
    Thank you, I am in therapy also - however we have discussed my eating yet !!!! what do you reach for before a snack ? I do need something to do instead of eating to distract me.

Thanks for your help : )
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Stress management is the key - when you feel stressed or anxious, try diaphragmatic breathing or a different form of meditation.

If you do not address the underlying factors that are contributing to stress, it will make things that much more difficult.

Good luck.
  • childhoodshour00
    childhoodshour00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from emotional eating. I am an addictions counselor as a profession and try to look at my relationship with food as I treat patients' addiction--by identifying my triggers for eating and stopping the thoughts before they turn into cravings. It is really a challenge, as we all still need to eat to survive. I remind myself constantly that we "eat to live, not live to eat". Feel free to add me if you'd like. My go to snack for when I want something crunchy and kinda salty is a serving of dry original cheerios. It satiates my need for something like that. I have also found that since I gave up most overly-processed foods that contain stuff like MSG and gave up most soy products, I have less cravings for junk. Good luck . it's a hard battle. -Jill
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you both. I do meditate for other things so I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me to use breathing techniques to control my eating. I suppose because I am just so irrational when the comfort/ binge eater takes over.

I do consider myself to be addicted, your advice is very helpful thank you : )

The thing is I know what I am doing when I do it, I know that I am just eating because I am really stressed. I just need to find other ways to cope with my stress...

I will close my eyes have deep breaths and say to myself... you don't want food you want calm. be calm clear and strong.

Thank you again for helping me overcome this.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I suffer from this too. Bizarrely, what's helped me the most is getting on myfitnesspal, not because it limits what I can eat, but because it *doesn't*. I take the attitude that I can eat whatever I want so long as I log it.

What that's done is take away the mystique of a lot of 'naughty' foods, and it turns out that my emotional eating is partly based on a belief that if only I could eat that one thing, enough of that thing, I would feel SO much better and it would solve all my problems. Well, now I can, and most days, I can eat whatever that thing is and not even go over on calories. So there's no guilt or frustration to confuse the issue.

And the result is... I've lost my faith in food. I can eat the thing, so I do eat the thing, and it's tasty... but I still feel sad or stressed. It didn't live up to the hype. And over time, that negative feedback is slowly extinguishing the original behaviour.

I'm still a bit greedy, and inclined to overeat even when there's no emotional aspect (which is where the calorie goals come in!), but it's amazing how effective this freedom to eat anything is against the emotional eating. It can be hard at times, as I find myself feeling a bit lost - I always believed that magic food was the solution to my feelings, and now I find it isn't, I have to go and find some other solution, or even (horror of horrors) just put up with feeling bad until it goes away on its own. This is a big change for me.

If 'food-will-solve-my-problems' magic thinking is any part of your emotional eating, maybe this will help you too.
  • narfnarfnarf
    Options
    Ooh, good tactics!
  • kri1977
    kri1977 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Nice thread, I struggle with this too :(
  • hannahlibertypink
    Options
    I suffer from this too. Bizarrely, what's helped me the most is getting on myfitnesspal, not because it limits what I can eat, but because it *doesn't*. I take the attitude that I can eat whatever I want so long as I log it.

What that's done is take away the mystique of a lot of 'naughty' foods, and it turns out that my emotional eating is partly based on a belief that if only I could eat that one thing, enough of that thing, I would feel SO much better and it would solve all my problems. Well, now I can, and most days, I can eat whatever that thing is and not even go over on calories. So there's no guilt or frustration to confuse the issue.

And the result is... I've lost my faith in food. I can eat the thing, so I do eat the thing, and it's tasty... but I still feel sad or stressed. It didn't live up to the hype. And over time, that negative feedback is slowly extinguishing the original behaviour.

I'm still a bit greedy, and inclined to overeat even when there's no emotional aspect (which is where the calorie goals come in!), but it's amazing how effective this freedom to eat anything is against the emotional eating. It can be hard at times, as I find myself feeling a bit lost - I always believed that magic food was the solution to my feelings, and now I find it isn't, I have to go and find some other solution, or even (horror of horrors) just put up with feeling bad until it goes away on its own. This is a big change for me.

If 'food-will-solve-my-problems' magic thinking is any part of your emotional eating, maybe this will help you too.

Thanks for sharing and for your advice : ).

I don't really have one particular food in mind I just have an overwhelming need to binge, on anything really.

as long as I am eating, but continuously.... meal after meal until I physically can not eat any more.

I used to try to control it by only binging on healthy stuff.. I could rationalise this by saying well its all healthy. But that is not taking control of it, that was just trying to alter it.

I am in a good state of mind at the moment, I am not depressed or low, I have therapy - But on the days that something goes wrong- for example I have an argument or I hear some bad news or I have to deal with really stressful situations - it all kicks in.

I had an awful - really awful day on Monday and I managed to control it a bit - I didn't feel totally in control but it didn't control me, so it is a massive start- and the next time something bad happens I suppose it will get easier and easier to control !

I have spent to long feeling guilty that I didn't have total control over it, instead I should feel proud that I at least had SOME control over it - which I didn't a month ago .

Thanks peeps : )
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If I am organised and if I am happy I have control of my eating habits. If I am sad, stressed or angry my eating goes out of control. how do I maintain being on a diet when I have to deal with really stressful life situations????????!!!!

1) Fix your sleep
    2) Vitamin D!!!!!
    3) Lift weights 2-4x a week
    4) Don't cut anything out of your diet if you love it!
    5) Have sex! And lots of it!
    6) Take Gaia Rhodiola Rosea
    7) Unplug from devices an hour before trying to sleep
    8) Don't check email first thing in the AM
    9) Did I mention the importance of sex?
    10) Reward yourself weekly
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. when I am just sad, I try working out, keeps up my mood sand keeps me out of food. However, if it is stress and tired from work, it gets really hard. So I try very hard to have the right foods around and keep junk out of the house. It helps but not perfect (especially since husband doesn't have same issue, so he buys junk and candy for himself)

I don't think there is ONE solution, each person has to find what works best for them, but a therapist can definitely help.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about food....
  • amylg05
    amylg05 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Exercise and drink water. I was depressed and had anxiety (still sort of do but not as bad) and was seeing a therapist before I started eating better and exercising. And now, im pretty happy most of the time - exercise really does make a difference. If you have free time and start getting bored then go for a walk instead of reaching for food or if youre feeling stressed out and down, go for a walk! If youre feeling hungry, drink some water...youre probably not hungry. But, this said I know how hard it is and sometimes I think its ok to give in a little but you always have to keep focus. I guess if you want results bad enough you will find the will power to not over eat.
  • everforever8
    everforever8 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One thing I did, that did WONDERS for me weight loss wise, was to see a counselor. Talking about my anxieties really helped me get to the root of my problems instead of avoiding them and eating the stress. I know there are a lot of people who don't necessarily think about how seeing a counselor would help with weight loss, but it really helps. If you're an emotional eater like I am, or if you find yourself eating almost to the point of an addiction, get help from a counselor. It's amazing how helpful that can be. Exercise also helps to relieve stress and anxiety.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with boredom. Boredom=fridge and I hate that.

So what I have been trying to do/adapt to is keeping myself busy as much as possible so that the craving/want will disappear.

If Im depressed, stressed or sad/mad I really lose my appetite. But who wants to feel those emotions to lose weight, lol
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Keep practicing. Keep trying. You will find what works for you. Have plans in place for stressful situations. I turn to food and alcohol when I am stressed. To avoid pouring myself a drink in the evening when I get home, I now pour myself a seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice. I do that very first thing... then I am sipping on that and I stop thinking about getting a drink.

- Sip Tea
    - Exercise
    - Take a 10 minute walk outside and listen to the birds twitter
    - write your thoughts down
    - take up a hobby like knitting, crossstitch, etc.
    - text or call a friend
    - read a motivational article
    - listen to soothing music
    - clean out a drawer or closet

What things do YOU find relaxing and therapeutic? Make a list and always have a couple options on hand for an emergancy stressful situation.