1200 calories - Exercise calories = how much to eat?

Options
Ok - this is really dumb question as I have been using this app/diet at 1200 calories/day for almost 3 weeks now (day 19). I have lost a whopping 1 pound in that time (actually gained 4 then lost 5 over the course).Here is my question and would certainly appreciate insight into what to do.

The app says cut your calories to 1200/day. Done. I exercise at somewhere between 400 and 800 calories (minus calories) per day too (cardio x 3days + 3mile 4mph walk and weights x 3days + same walk). So on the days I am near or above 800 negative calories, do I eat 1200 calories or do I eat 2000 calories or what? I have been trying to eat 1200/day no matter how many negative calories I acquire through exercise but this doesn't seem to move the scale. Thoughts?

Replies

• aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    Options
    I'd like to know the same!!!!!!!!!!!
    Do we eat back our exercise calories, and if so how much?
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    From my understanding you should net 1200 after exercise at minimum. That's usually way to low for most people though, so be cautious. If you're netting negative numbers you are not eating enough at all.

Ex. cal goal is 1500
    exercise burn: 500 calories
    leaves you net 1000 right? You should eat some more!

If you aren't using a HRM and just going by what MFP estimates you at, then most will say eat only about half right since it over estimates how many calories you burn.

Even when I use a HRM I try to eat only half back :) My goals are much higher, say around 2000 daily, so I try to hit around 1500 net on days I exercise, sometimes more sometimes less.
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above posters. If your goal is 1200 calories and you burn 800 exercising, you need to be taking in 2000 calories from food.

And like fpelletier said, 1200 is probably too low anyway. You need to find your BMR and that number is the minimum your body needs just to survive.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    A great read to get started - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920

Are you weighing solids and measuring liquids? - This is an ABSOLUTE must if you want to lose weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You eat your base PLUS exercise.

So if you burn 400, it looks like this:
    1200(goal)+400(exercise)=1600(calories to consume)

Also recommend weighing all your food on a food scale to get a more accurate calorie count.

And read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • surfinmoe
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied - this helps a ton and as an ex-lard-a55 and soon (whatever that is) to be in better form, I have always struggled with food. Knowing what I need to eat then will help dramatically. I've only been eating 1200 regardless of how much exercise and its been tough. Good to know that I can ramp up a little based on my workout (which is by HRM). Thanks everyone and maybe as a newbie some of you vets will befriend me?! :)