That's it i've ditched the gym!

Options
So Ive been thinking about the money and the fact with work commitments I only actually go once a week and then once there kind of float about as I became lost in changing my routine plus I find not actually changing scenery incredibly boring!
I jog twice a week, as well as try and do JM 30 day shred twice a week as well as the gym so will be replacing that hour with something else. Most probably something from fitness blender and free weights. Am I being a bit naive in thinking this is better for me than the gym?
Also come summer what do you guys that dont go to a gym? Im not really looking forward to running in the summer or doing anything inside the flat.

Replies

• ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    You don't have to go to the gym to get in shape or lose weight, especially if when you go it isn't productive. Looks like you're far more productive outside the gym. I go to the gym as well as workout at home and run on the street (I HATE the treadmill). In the summer when it's hot I run either early in the day or later at night when it's cooler outside. I've been known to hit the road for a run at 9 or 10pm before.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The way to success is doing what you like to do ... if the gym isn't for you then you won't stick with it.

Changing up your fitness plan to do something that you will actually stick with and enjoy is a very good idea.

I'm a gym rat so it hurts me to see you go :) lol
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you and you will actually do.

For me that happens to be the gym, but for you it might be something else..
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I hate HEAT, so in summer I prefer indoor workouts. I don't mind outdoor workouts in fall or spring, but when it gets over 70 degrees, no thank you. I also don't like running, so that doesn't help. I prefer to dance. I go to gym for classes and lifting. I do Zumba, Kickbox and weight training. I do some at home too, but I will workout indoors over outdoors any time.

In the summer I swim, weather permitting, so that is my only outdoor workout.

I think it is all about what you like, what motivates you to continue and whether you will do it or not. I usually hit the gym about 4 hours a week. I workout at home about 2 hours in addition to the gym. This will continue in summer, but swimming will replace in house workout time as well.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I actually find it easier to work out when I'm not at the gym. I got rid of my membership last year early fall... I run/walk outside or do some cardio DVDs, wii fit, wii dance inside if it's too hot.... and we also have free weights and a cable machine in our "workout room" that I use. You can always come up with an excuse not to go to the gym but if you work out at home... you have no excuse and you don't have the drive time to/from the gym.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I set up my own home gym and it has already paid for itself :) also, there are no boys there haha. I don't like the treadmill either, I'd much rather run outside. It's better to find something you enjoy, that way you'll stick to it.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I only go to the gym to do heavy lifting, swimming and participate in sports. 30DS will get boring after two rounds and the weather is going to get nicer shortly for your jogging. I would look for a cheaper gym, one where a variety of activities is available and start lifting weights... I pay $22 a month for the YMCA and it's perfect for me. 24 hrs, 365 days a year. Its ultimately up to you but I've tried being all like no gym and I just got bored and gave up working out. That and I would just run all the time which is not all that great.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    The way to success is doing what you like to do ... if the gym isn't for you then you won't stick with it.

Changing up your fitness plan to do something that you will actually stick with and enjoy is a very good idea.

I'm a gym rat so it hurts me to see you go :) lol

This
  • limico91
    limico91 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replys I was kind of worried I had made the wrong decision, but its so much easier to fit in home workouts than gym workouts for me in my job and I cant see it changing anytime soon. I guess its best to have a variety of workouts and mix it up at home to not get bored! I think I will be just fine and if not I can join a gym thats closer and cheaper (if one exists!!) :)
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The first time I did this I lost a little over 20 lbs and never went to the gym. I simply can't afford it.

I've done JM Shred and most of Ripped in 30 (it got to hard for me!) (Currently doing her ab routine one)
    I've also done Leslie Samone (sp?) in door walks, plus walking outside in nice weather
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    You can always buy dumbbells, kettlebells for now if that makes things easier
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to a gym in almost 8 years
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love the YMCA! Membership is almost $100 a month here (Berkeley). :(
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Well I guess You can take classes at the gym and also it's kind of fun to go there but You can also exercise at home as well so it's totally up to You
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Lost all of my weight with home workouts. Started with just dvds, moved up to dumbbells and treated myself to a barbell set for Christmas. Now all I need is a squat rack and I'll be set.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been working out in a friend's garage instead of a gym for two years now. The gym is not the magic trick to exercise - finding a workout that you'll do consistently is.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Weights in the garage, cardio outside. No gym needed for me.
  • jean1988jean
    jean1988jean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I finally quit the gym after paying for it for 2+ years and saying I'm going back "this" week for real ... ummmmm, yeah, that never happened.

There were a couple of classes that I really enjoyed (Les Mills Combat and Pump). So, I made the investment in a couple of the Les Mills products for home use. I love the Combat (kick boxing/martial arts mix) program and just ordered Pump, which comes with some weights. I'm about two weeks in with Pump and just love, always felt like it was a good workout at the gym, but classes were difficult to get to with my schedule. So, now there's no excuse, plus I made the investment in the progam DVDs, etc. It was hard getting back into it, and I have a long way to go, but it's a start.
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only go to the gym during the winter (Michigan = lots of snow) and/or when it is very very hot to run and when it is raining. Outside activities I do include biking, jogging, walking, kayaking, swimming/pool fitness, yard work LOL, cross country skiing, this year I want to do snow shoeing as well. There are tons of other things you can do get some weights if thats your thing or go help a friend split and stack wood :-) Be imaginative. A gym for me is a necessity because I've made it that and can afford it and see the benefits it gives me personally because I know me and know I'm not doing anything outside in certain weather. But everyone is different. You can make it work for you.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The world can be your gym.
    All you need is motivation.

zombie-chase.jpg