Weighing In Blues

Options
:noway:
Hello to anyone out there that is having trouble getting on the scale:

I have been using this program and being pretty faithful in writing down everything that goes in my mouth and even feel guilty when I I pass my calories for the day and I walk about 15 miles a week. I know how much I weigh only because the nurse at the doctors office insisited that I get on the dumb scale.
My problem is that I fear the scale. I have not got back on, it has been 1 month. If the scale does not reflect a weight loss, then I feel like everything that I have been doing is for nothing and I go on a binge for several weeks.
Does anyone else have that problem and how can I overcome this?

Replies

• mandapopanda
    Options
    Hey Deb! I wish I could give you a quick and painless solution but it IS extremely difficult. In high school I was anorexic and I was so scared of scales that I wouldn't even go to the doctor because I knew I would have to be weighed.

The important thing to remember is that you have been diligently working towards a better fitness goal and that is way more important than what your scale says. Since you are worried about it, try focusing on things other than weight. How do your clothes fit? Another thing you could do is work on increasing the duration and/or intensity of your workouts and focus on that.

When you do work up to weighing yourself, be sure to weigh first thing in the morning to get the most accurate weight. Congratulations on your first month of working hard for a better you! Best of luck (:
  • Pusheenthecat
    Pusheenthecat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The scale is always always always behind. How often are you weighing yourself? I only weigh myself once a month. If I weighed myself weekly I would be disappointed. I lose about 5-8 pounds a month. If I checked weekly I would be looking at a pound down or less even depending on the day.
  • vanginmi
    vanginmi Posts: 41
    Options
    I know it is hard not to get discouraged. I have been using MFP for 4 days and the scale is still in the same place it was when I started. Im just staying the course - and ignoring all the junk the rest of my family is eating after 8pm - it is sooo hard.

You can do this. And I think it is perfectly alright not to weigh yourself. You will be able to tell by the way your clothes fit!
  • midohiowoodsman
    Options
    You could use the good ol' tape measure instead of the scale to monitor your progress. At least until you are more accepting of that evil tool we all love and hate. Keep in mind that even if the scale doesn't change, think of how good you are doing by eating healthier and walking! You're still ahead of the millions who have yet to get off the couch!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    weighing and using scales can be really positive for some people, though we all have ups and downs and times when at that time of the month, we're up a bit or bloated

but it's not the only way, you can also use measurements, if you were to use a tape measure once a week on you waist(narrowest) and hips(widest) you would also see improvement as you lose weight

how you track your progress isn't I think so important as tracking it itself, if you don't track at all, there's a chance that you won't pick up the effects of new habits and changes in your activity levels quite so quickly

you can do it!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing in weekly on a scale, for a long, long time. Years in fact. I've found a few things to be true.

1. Weighting in daily doesn't really show you a true loss/gain. Your body weight will fluctuate a few pounds during the day. I typically weigh in on Friday mornings, right after my shower. That's typically the time that I'm lowest.

2. Weight isn't the end all, be all indicator of fitness. I've been fairly steady in my weight for the last two months, however I've dropped 2% body fat. This mean that I'm simply displacing the fat with muscle. So, many of the numbers we use to justify how "healthy" we are, aren't always the best way to tell. BMI and weight don't give you the full picture. Maybe start tracking measurements instead of weight?

3. If you don't feel yourself progressing, maybe make a change to your diet, MFP goals, or even how you track. I'll ask you, do you weight your food or just measure it? Measuring is typically very inaccurate and can actually cause you eat a few hundred calories extra that you didn't think you were getting. I suggest getting yourself a good quality food scale if you don't have one already. You might also take a look at the goals that MFP has you on. You may want to adjust them using the IIFYM method instead of just letting MFP decide for you. I've actually had better luck manually setting mine, and I'm eating 200 calories a day more than what MFP was giving me. Check http://iifym.com/ to find out more about it.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I too used to dread going to the dr. & getting on the scale. Now since I am relearning to eat/exercise better (No More Dieting - better eating, Portion control & moving more!!!) I have learned to make the scale my friend. I bought a digital. I tried every scale at Bed Bath & Beyond & found the ones that were the most accurate together, then made my choice - All scales are not alike! Now I use the scale to keep track of my accomplishments even if it is only tenths of a pound. Its up to you & your comfort level how often to weigh, monthly, weekly or daily - what you are comfortable doing. I weigh daily because I need that kind of discipline, but I average it over the week to judge how I am doing. If you never weigh in its way too easy to not realize when the pounds are coming back on. Also you will know if you are eating right, exercising (walking) that if you are not losing, it could be a medical reason & need to be checked out. My thyroid was off (hypothyroid) & since I started synthroid the pounds are finally coming off. Good luck & friend me if you like. Rosemarie
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I too HATE stepping on the scale and see if headed in the wrong direction, However, this time I'm turning that negative into a positive.....a positive that encourages me to work out when I don't want to, to avoid that pasta when I really want it, to make more smart and healihier choices...its sits on my shoulder and is there with me all day long as a reminder to strive for better every day!
  • deb3683
    deb3683 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank You for your great advice....I will continue to work at it and as long as I feel good then I know that I am doing the right thing for my health and well being.
  • acerealtor
    Options
    Drink more water.
  • deb3683
    deb3683 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I talk about the miles that I am able to walk with my co workers and it is definitely more than what they are doing. The best thing is, that I get to spend time with my sister during our walks. Thank you for the encouragement
  • Zbugsmom
    Zbugsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hate weighing in at the doctors! Mostly because it is in front of other people. I am addicted to the scale by myself...even the pony tail holder get removed:P. It is a love/ hate relationship...stupid scale :D
  • cassandracarrington1
    Options
    I agree... And why are the scales in the gym so darn BIG?? Oh yea! For me..lol
  • AceCC86
    AceCC86 Posts: 71
    Options
    If you are active and eating at/under your calorie goal, the weight WILL come off. I have the same issue with feeling discouraged and binge eating, but I'm happy to say that I've been staying the course for over a month. The food only lasts as long as you're eating it -- the bad feelings that follow the binge eating stay with you a lot longer than the delicious taste does. My advice is to focus on how your clothes feel and how your body & mind feel.