Breakfast?

Options
I don't want to skip breakfast and don't plan to, but I'm wondering what you all generally eat for breakfast while having a calorie limit? Mine is about 1900 at the moment, so not too restrictive, but I'm looking for ideas that'll "count" as breakfast but still leave me a decent amount of calories for lunch and dinner?

If I tell someone my breakfast was a coffee and biscotti (what I had this morning), they'll say I'm skipping breakfast. I don't want to give that impression even though I'm not a big breakfast person.

Replies

• elpasado
    elpasado Posts: 5
    Options
    Well the most important meal of tha day i gotta say is breakfast it gives u the energine to make it to ur lunch so a good breakfast is alwaus good it keeps u from getting hungry to early to soon.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Coffee and biscotti is fine if it fits into your daily goals and satisfies you. I usually have a protein shake and coffee first thing in the morning before leaving the house (around 7), then between 9-10:30, depending on how hungry I am, I'll have roasted sweet potatoes, chicken sausages and two fried eggs. (I make it in the morning, then heat it up at work.) I also like egg whites scrambled with veggies and/or cheese. You can make a homemade Egg McMuffin with a lower cal English muffin, egg or egg white patty, and a slice of cheese, always great. Oatmeal with mix in-s like egg whites or Greek yogurt and berries is good, too.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    The possibilities of breakfast are limitless!!

I love breakfast.

Eggs, bacon, oatmeal, greek yogurt, fruit, cereal
  • Kiwi94544
    Kiwi94544 Posts: 23
    Options
    I have a green smoothie for breakfast - spinach, an assortment of frozen fruits (blueberries, strawberries, mango, etc), a half-scoop of vanilla protein powder and a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Comes out to just under 200 calories, and keeps me satisfied until lunchtime.
  • tafkam08
    tafkam08 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a Nutri-Blast smoothie with my Nutri-Bullet for breakfast. I use spinach, plain greek yogurt, pineapple, banana and maybe blueberries or blackberries. Just depends on my day. My caloric intake for breakfast is no more than 325 give or take and I'm on a 1500 calorie daily intake plan. Hope this helps!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think coffee and a biscotti is "skipping breakfast" at all, honestly. I do try to pack a bit more nutrition into my own breakfasts, but there are times (about once every 2-3 weeks) when my breakfast is coffee and a fresh donut (occasionally two)!

For me, small breakfasts are a good way to keep my daily calorie count down. I have a huge variety of breakfasts - egg taco with chipotle sauce, egg & toast, steel cut oats, veggie omelet, coffee cup muffin with nuts, refrigerator oats with fruit, veggie sausage on a Sandwich Skinny, etc...all of these meals are under or just barely over 200 cal.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people report increased concentration and mood when they eat breakfast. Others don't. Some people find that breakfast keeps them fuller throughout the day. Others have the opposite reaction and are hungrier after breakfast. It's okay to skip breakfast, just have coffee, have a light breakfast, or have a heavy breakfast if that is what works for you.

Right now I'm on a protein shake kick for my breakfasts. Greek yogurt, fruit, and protein powder blended into a smoothie.

Some of my other go-tos in the past have been Greek yogurt w/ fruits, nuts, or granola; overnight oatmeal; mini-fritattas made in cupcake tins; hard boiled eggs; and oatmeal (again with fruit and nuts).
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options
    I usually go with eggs for breakfast and just switch around what I have with them. Today I had 'em with a slice of bacon and a low protein smoothie. Because of the ingredients in the smoothie, the entire meal came out to almost 700 cals (I have a pretty big allotment for the day, so no worries there).

Honestly, if you're doing fine on some coffee and a biscotti then you don't have to change anything as long as you're getting your calories in somewhere during the day. Some people don't eat breakfast at all and lose weight fine. There are a few I've seen here who even lump all of their intake into one meal and do well with that. Breakfast is a nice meal, but it's definitely not required (despite what most people will tell you).
  • petefromguelph
    petefromguelph Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    mmmm breakfast. This morning was half cup greek yogurt, various berries (strawberry/blueberry/raspberry/blackberry). Add ground flaxseed and eat. Yum so good.
  • RyanneRose
    RyanneRose Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good ideas in here! I'd like to keep breakfast under 300 in general since I prefer that my "main" meal be dinner. The only time I get a substantial breakfast by choice is if there's an occasion. My usual go-to's if I want more than coffee/biscotti etc are a bowl of cereal or oatmeal/cream of wheat... maaaaybe scrambled egg if I feel up to it. I'm not a smoothie-for-a-meal kind of person, but I like a lot of the suggestions so far!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Good ideas in here! I'd like to keep breakfast under 300 in general since I prefer that my "main" meal be dinner. The only time I get a substantial breakfast by choice is if there's an occasion. My usual go-to's if I want more than coffee/biscotti etc are a bowl of cereal or oatmeal/cream of wheat... maaaaybe scrambled egg if I feel up to it. I'm not a smoothie-for-a-meal kind of person, but I like a lot of the suggestions so far!

What's wrong with what you're doing? Seriously, you don't have to eat breakfast if you don't want to. If you're losing weight and feeling good and not starving by lunch, you might as well keep going with what works for you. Breakfast isn't magic. It's totally okay to eat when you're hungry if you're ending up with the appropriate amount of calories eaten at the end of the day.
  • reyzus
    reyzus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1.5 scoop of protein powder + 1/2 cup of raw oats. Then I usually eat 2 boiled eggs about 2 hours later. If I don't have the eggs,then I will have 1/4 cup of fat free greek yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of honey + about 10 almonds.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I eat a big breakfast - big enough that I don't need to eat anything for 5-6 hours.

Usually 2-3 eggs does the trick. Fat and protein will help to keep you full. :smile:
  • motivatemychange
    motivatemychange Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I aim for 200-300 calories for breakfast and that gets me through my morning, my 1 hour morning work out all the way up to lunch :)

Protein like eggs are great and make you feel full for longer!
    Oats is also great!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    this week it is cream of wheat. who know what it will be next week. I like to mix it up each week so I don't get bored with the same thing
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I start with 1 slice raisin toast/coffee. After workout greek plain yogurt/fruit with a handful of Special K on top for the crunch effect.
    Egg on a slice WW toast, canadian bacon--yum yum. Just some ideas.
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, you don't have to change your routine if it's working for you :)

My breakfasts seem a bit lame, but I am usually in a rush in the morning so I like to have something I can mostly prepare the night before. I either have:

A large boiled egg (which I boil the night before and leave in the fridge) sliced and put in a warbuton sandwich thin (100 cal bread thing, dunno if you have them in america)
    That gives me 177 cals

or
    40g oatbran, which I soak the oats the night before so in the morning I just add a splash of water and heat it up, and throw in some raisins when its done.
    That's 192 cals.

I don't use milk cause I'm dairy intolerant and I'm not bothered to be honest. I know I could use alternatives but I don't feel the need to :)

Edit to add: I also take fruit out with me if I'm up particularly early, which I refer to as second breakfast :D