Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, w -- gets me 626cals
Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog -- gets me 261cals

Walking, 1.5 mph, leisurely pa -- gets me 476cals
Seems there is no working version of 1.5 mph

Walking, 4.0 mph, -- 858cals
Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace -- 395cals

Walking, 5.0 mph -- 623cals
Walking, 5.0 mph, fast pace, w -- 260cals

There is no rhyme or reason to this. But it needs to be fixed.

Replies

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    And now there seems to be a lot fewer entries under walking, and they seem to be fixed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you start walking at a "gingerly pace." It gets nuts!
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've quit using MFP's counts for exercise entirely. I'd buy a HRM if I could but for now I just do fitness blender on you tube. They usually tell you how many calories is burns for 140 lbs, so I just calculate for my weight.
  • patrickjcleere
    Options
    I use the calorie counter on the Endomondo App which can be downloaded free...it also gives distance walked, time spent walking, a map of the route walked all for free:laugh:
  • Morgaath
    Options

I had posted similar things over there multiple times over the last couple of months. Never got any responses.
    Decided to see if maybe I could get some action by bring it up in the main area, as they actually seem to have a Mod over here who might see it and say something.

Now originally I was expecting to see lots of comments from folks telling me they have always been messed up, as lots of folks say it when telling people they should not be eating back exercise calories, but nope...first comment on it was me a day later saying it is now fixed, and then you telling me I should have posted it somewhere else.

Personally, I think it would be nice if MFP would tell us things like "We noticed that some of the running/walking calorie counts were off, so we fixed that". But the broken stuff sure helps explain the folks who say "I run 45 minutes a night, never go over my calorie count, but can't lose weight"...
  • Morgaath
    Options
    Yeah, I've quit using MFP's counts for exercise entirely. I'd buy a HRM if I could but for now I just do fitness blender on you tube. They usually tell you how many calories is burns for 140 lbs, so I just calculate for my weight.

Look into BodyMedia. It does a great job of tracking your activity all day long, and is not just a fancy pedometer. Not that a HRM is a pedometer.
    The chart in my weight loss tracker is what a normal day for me looks like in calories burned per minute. Flat is either me sleeping, or my other main occupation, sitting. Standing in line is a very slight increase, the real tall lines are me jogging or walking fast. the cluster at the end is me at the gym, starting off with 5 minutes on the tread mill.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I had posted similar things over there multiple times over the last couple of months. Never got any responses.
    Decided to see if maybe I could get some action by bring it up in the main area, as they actually seem to have a Mod over here who might see it and say something.

Now originally I was expecting to see lots of comments from folks telling me they have always been messed up, as lots of folks say it when telling people they should not be eating back exercise calories, but nope...first comment on it was me a day later saying it is now fixed, and then you telling me I should have posted it somewhere else.

Personally, I think it would be nice if MFP would tell us things like "We noticed that some of the running/walking calorie counts were off, so we fixed that". But the broken stuff sure helps explain the folks who say "I run 45 minutes a night, never go over my calorie count, but can't lose weight"...

How did you let them know?
    I noticed the same thing and emailed them the end of March. I did get a reply that they would address it. They didn't let me know it was fixed but nice to see it is.
  • Morgaath
    Options
    Posted a couple of times over in the feed back area. If there is a place to email them about this type of stuff I have yet to find it, as all I found was info on how to contact them for press and business stuff.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all of MFP is broken these days. The simplest issues go unaddressed.......forever. But don't complain because programmers are people too and should not be held accountable for their incompetence. Steven said so.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Posted a couple of times over in the feed back area. If there is a place to email them about this type of stuff I have yet to find it, as all I found was info on how to contact them for press and business stuff.

It wasn't easy (wonder why?)

If you go to contact us, click on Frequently asked questions, there is a big box on the side that says something like Ask a Question and in much smaller print there is an "email us" link".
  • Morgaath
    Options
    Thanks.