Low Carb struggling for calories

Options
I'm eating low carb to reverse type 2 diabetes (its working my bloods have been normal for 3 weeks since starting the low carb eating 5 weeks ago) but i am really struggling to eat more than 1000-1200 calories a day and i exercise on top of this, i need to figure out how to get more nutritious calories in me without upping my carbs (max 130g a day) i tend to stick to 70-90g.

I am 16st 11lbs (down from 22st since March 2012) 5''7 and i have PCOS.

I have started using Kettlebells, walk a lot and do usually an hour of exercise bike at 30kph an evening, i AM losing weight how i am eating at the moment but i need to lose weight without getting ill as thats the whole reason i am doing this, to get better.

I have done my macro workout which says i should have 25% carbs, 35% fat and 40% protein but my fats (from meat mainly) have been higher than protein or carbs, i am just not hungry, i am thinking of maybe 4 smaller meals a day but if anyone can help with nutritious low carb foods that i can help pack my calories in with that would be great i am especially struggling with low carbs breakfasts i have to get up at 7am to individually walk my 3 dogs before my husband goes to work so i don't have time to cook but can meal prep in advance.

I have been trying to balance my nutrients with veg and meats and i feel great in myself but i need to get my calories sorted out, i have lost 14lbs eating this way for 5 weeks and losing the inches too but i need to do it properly, i do need to lose at least another couple of stone quickly and then can slow it down but any help would be appreciated i would rather do it right than end up ill for my efforts :(

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Low carb breakfast ingredients: Eggs, bacon, sausage, ham steak, cheese, beef, oil, butter, etc. You can make omelettes, scrambles, eggs with meat on the side. All of these things are healthy for you if you play the rest of your day right. If you ever need to eat more calories and don't want carbs, I suggest cheese, it's pure protein and fat and you can slice it and eat it by itself if you want.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat. You don't need to be afraid of it.

Add bacon to your salads and use cream based dressings. Do you count all the oils and butter you could with? You don't necessarily have to eat a lot more quantity to get more calories when eating more fat.

For breakfast I eat Atkins Meal bars or eggs. I'm not sure how the sugar alcohols would be with your diabetes, though. Sometimes I make enough eggs to make 2 or 3 breakfasts worth. I make a scramble out of eggs, spinach, onions and cheese. To get in more fat you can add extra cheese, scramble your eggs with some sour cream or cream cheese, and add in bacon and/or sausage.
  • staceyloukelly
    Options
    Thank you both, i'm not eating anything other than fruit that is sugary so my carbs come from fruits and veg.

I do count oils when i use them but generally try and cook without oil i will add coconut oil or butter and definitely eat more cheese! :)
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Look at cottage cheese too. It will add in protein and calcium to your diet.
  • FatNFightingIt
    FatNFightingIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do carb cycling and so on low carb days I eat a lot of unsalted peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds. Hardboiled eggs. I try to stay away from as much processed as I can but also Cottage cheese and Lower sodium cheeses (swiss,etc.) That has helped me get my calories up without all the carbs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Make some omelette muffins such as this recipe (you can mix up the veggies, add more, etc according to your own taste). They are portable and heat up easy and well also.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/paleo-omelet-muffins/

Others have given some very good suggestions also.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Avocados, nuts and nut butters are very calorie dense. Packed with nutrition too.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    EVOO
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Full fat mayo
    BACON
    Full fat salad dressing
    Trail Mix

I try and keep my carbs between 100-150g, so I have toast and eggs after a heavy workout, but I upped my fats and protein so i can get my calories in.
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My diary is open (I think?!?), I tend to eat a low carb/high protein diet. I have a protein shake & protein bar daily to help meet caloric req. .
  • staceyloukelly
    Options
    I love avocado i eat at least one a day i've even added bread back in every now and then to try and up my calories but then its 25-30 of my carbs gone in two slices of toast :/ i've made things like Cauliflower Pizza which was yummy and put spinach on it as well as the cheese and tomatoes. I tried egg muffins but didn't like the texture i may have cooked it a little too long so will have to try again, i've even tried low carb mug cakes to up my calories but it was yucky and i am not a fussy eater.
  • mwcorgilover
    mwcorgilover Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that dark meat chicken topped with avocado chunks and a sprinkle of chopped almonds, English walnuts, or macadamia nuts tastes really good, covers some textural desires (like chewy, creamy & crunchy), and satiates pretty well (although you've already said satiety is not an issue for you). Coconut oil, used for cooking or mixed in things like salad dressing or smoothies, can help raise calories but has great health advantages.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    My diary is open to the public, take a look at my few days... I tend to carb cycle but most of my days, my carbs are between 60-100 g. I stick to vegetables for carbs, peanut butter, meats/fish like chicken, smoked salmon, sausages, beef jerky and steaks. I incorporate greek yogurt and cheese into my diet (greek yogurt is a tad high in carbs) and protein powder. My calories are 1413 and I've been able to stay around 1200 without exercise.
  • flyygirl802
    flyygirl802 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My diary is open as well, although I am pretty new myself and it has taken a bit of playing around with calories/macros to get what I think is the right combo for me.

I tend to eat mostly gluten free and high protein. I don't watch my fat too much. A great snack for me was to get a Rotisserie chicken at the market deli and break it completely down and fill ziplock bags with about 3oz each. Then for a small snack throughout the day I would have a chicken snack pack. They come in at around 230 calories (give or take) and have zero carbs.
    Another thing I will do is have a low carb protein shake to help.

If you do look at my diary don't pay attention to Mon and Thurs because I loosely follow the 5:2 plan and those days will have very low calories.

There are a lot of great people on here and lots of great info and I have found that most people are happy to help if you ask.

Best of luck to you!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Add bacon to your salads and use cream based dressings. Do you count all the oils and butter you could with? You don't necessarily have to eat a lot more quantity to get more calories when eating more fat.

This.

Also, amounts of protein beyond what you need for repair can cause your efforts to backfire, as protein gets converted to glucose when required for fuel in a low carb situation. You don't want that. Fat is fuel, and is a very good way to get calories without a high volume of food.

You might want to tweak your macros a little bit:

1g/lb (.5g/kg) lean body mass for protein.
    Your goal amount for carbs.
    Fill in the rest with fat (yes, that might mean as high as 60%+ fat; that's okay! You need fuel from somewhere)

I also have PCOS and eat low carb, so feel free to add me if you want.
  • Glens_Life
    Glens_Life Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    To get more calories in you can try like mentioned above and whey protein to up your intake plus get more calories in. Some protein powders barely have any carbs in them. Just read your labels
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I also eat low carb to control Type II diabetes, and have absolutely normal (non-diabetic) HbA1c results now for 2 1/2 years straight.

My diary is open.

As has been suggested, eat healthy fats. Avoid refined/processed oils - eat natural, pressed oils such as EVOO, nut oils, etc. Have butter, heavy cream and cheese in sauces. Avocado is excellent, as has been mentioned.

The 'conventional wisdom' to avoid these healthy fats has been shown now to have never had any scientific basis for the recommendation.

For the vast-majority of people, the only fats you need avoid are trans-fats ("hydrogenated" or "partially-hydrogenated" fats/oils) and refined oils like canola oils (although there IS cold-pressed canola oil, most is refined) and corn oil, soybean oil - basically ANY vegetable oil.
  • staceyloukelly
    Options

This.

Also, amounts of protein beyond what you need for repair can cause your efforts to backfire, as protein gets converted to glucose when required for fuel in a low carb situation. You don't want that. Fat is fuel, and is a very good way to get calories without a high volume of food.

You might want to tweak your macros a little bit:

1g/lb (.5g/kg) lean body mass for protein.
    Your goal amount for carbs.
    Fill in the rest with fat (yes, that might mean as high as 60%+ fat; that's okay! You need fuel from somewhere)

I also have PCOS and eat low carb, so feel free to add me if you want.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not actually using these macros they are just what i worked out on a macro planner as what my body needs, i've had 52% fat today 18% carbs and 30% protein although i have just done some kettlebell and Exercise bike so will eat something small and then i am done for the day, mfp says my net is 542 calories today but i know how crazily out the calories burnt is so more like 800 net.

Luckily a lot of protein hasn't seemed to up my blood sugar which is a good thing because i love chicken and eggs.

I have halved my exercise time as i was doing a lot and realise my body cannot handle that on so few calories and i have no option but to keep walking everyday so my other workouts are made smaller, i don't do rest days (i own huskies they don't understand rest) so the calories have to go up whilst the carbs stay around where i have them now so i get better and fitter i am not concerned about natural fats my main concern is sugar PCOS causes insulin resistance and my own ignorance over the years on how to control that lead me to this point so now i am trying to turn it all around and appreciate everyone's input :)

I'm off to read a few of your diaries to get some ideas!