Salt

Options
Hi, I was just hoping someone could help explain my daily sodium. I keep going over my limit, but I drink so much water! And my calories are right on par, so is everything else. I go for low sodium whenever possible but it seems even veggies have salt!!!
Please help :s

Replies

• Fridaklo77
    Fridaklo77 Posts: 124
    Options
    All i know is that I am super bloated because sodium is in everything!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What is your primary source of sodium? If you eat a good variety and amount of vegetables, then this is likely not a problem. The ratio of potassium to sodium is most important, and many vegetables contain potassium.

Here is an informative article on sodium/salt.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/salt-and-sodium/

There is also a link on that page with suggestions on how to cut sodium, should you need it.
  • jl_simmons
    jl_simmons Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Ill be reading that for sure! I just went to my diary and realized that fat free milk has salt in it!!!!!!!!! ughhh I guess being more careful will be the only way to meet the goal each day.
  • midohiowoodsman
    Options
    Read the labels. Some things have almost 600mg of sodium per serving. Don't buy "low sodium" buy NO salt added. Do not buy canned veggies either, frozen is better, but fresh is best. There really isn't enough sodium in veggies alone to put you over 2300mg.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If the bulk of the foods you eat aren't from a package (meat, vegetables, fruit, grains), you generally don't have to give your sodium levels a second thought. Don't worry about naturally occurring sodium in things like milk. Worry about the frozen dinners, canned soups, flavored rice, jarred tomato sauce etc. made by food manufacturers. They are all usually loaded in sodium and added sugar.
  • allikat399
    allikat399 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I try sticking to fresh veggies over canned veggies. There tends to be a lot of sodium in canned veggies. I also read the nutrition facts on the veggie steam bags. You will be surprised to see they can pack a lot of sodium! I look for brands where the sodium is low. That helped me save a lot when I was having the same troubles.
  • jl_simmons
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I refuse to eat almost anything canned haha coconut milk being one of the few exceptions. And I rarely buy frozen veggies because we eat the fresh so fast we dont usually waste :) I did however go back and look and the day I went over my sodium the most was because of turkey sausage...so although only 90 cals ea...they pack over 500mg each!!!!! WOW!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I refuse to eat almost anything canned haha coconut milk being one of the few exceptions. And I rarely buy frozen veggies because we eat the fresh so fast we dont usually waste :) I did however go back and look and the day I went over my sodium the most was because of turkey sausage...so although only 90 cals ea...they pack over 500mg each!!!!! WOW!

Oh yeah, sausage is usually very high in sodium because salt is used in the curing process.
  • jl_simmons
    Options
    I know someone who swears that she has to eat salty foods often because she drinks soo much water. Is there any truth to that?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I know someone who swears that she has to eat salty foods often because she drinks soo much water. Is there any truth to that?

Possibly, especially if she is on a diuretic for high BP. One of reasons, besides basic hydration, to drink a lot of water is to flush excess sodium from your system. But if this person is not a medication that depletes sodium and is drinking so much water she needs to eat excess sodium, then she's likely drinking too much water. If she is depleting her sodium with water she may also be depleting other vital nutrients as well.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Possibly, especially if she is on a diuretic for high BP. One of reasons, besides basic hydration, to drink a lot of water is to flush excess sodium from your system. But if this person is not a medication that depletes sodium and is drinking so much water she needs to eat excess sodium, then she's likely drinking too much water. If she is depleting her sodium with water she may also be depleting other vital nutrients as well.

How does that make medical sense? "I'm deliberately putting more sodium into my system so that I have to drink more water to flush it out." The more efficient solution would just be to drink less water.