Importance of sunscreen - from a cancer survivor

Options
When I was 19 years old I found out I had melanoma, the deadliest of skin cancer. I had a large forearm excision, lymph nodes removed and every six months I go in for my scans and body checks to make sure it doesn't come back. I have many scars from where they have cut out possible culprits.

I was 14 when I started indoor tanning. At 18 I bought a salon and was tanning almost everyday. When outside I wasn't using sunscreen. No one knows exactly why I got melanoma; if it was sun exposure, tanning or just sensitive skin. But I want to help protect my friends with my own experience.

Don't use indoor tanning beds. Use sunscreen when outside, even if it's cloudy. It can save your life!

Replies

• asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thank you!

I have never stepped into a tanning bed and always used sun block when outside for extended periods of time, but I still had melanoma at 35 on my calf. Most likely from wearing skirts and shorts and incidental sun exposure from walking to my car and stuff.

Please use sunblock every day, even if you are just outside for a few minutes at a time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Don't use indoor tanning beds. Use sunscreen when outside, even if it's cloudy. It can save your life!

Thank you, a timely message with spring just around the corner.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, Tatyana. PREACH IT!!!
  • TatyanaS63
    Options
    Of course, you're welcome!

Something a lot of people don't think about.