ATTN: Awesome People with SAD!

Options
How do you deal with it?

Story: I'm a RMT so I work in a dark room for 5-6 hours a day aaaaaannnnnddd I live in Canada, more specifically the prairies.... :( Horrifying, I know. With this eternal winter I've fallen and I can't get up.

So all you awesome people out there....How do you deal?! What do you do? I know for me hard, intense exercise (or mild, doesn't reaaaalllly matter) especially with the blinds open (even though the "sunlight" is this weak grey crap) helps a little. But what do YOU do? What keeps your mood up?

Replies

• SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hear tanning works for some people. I don't tan but I try to get as much exercise as possible since since it releases endorphins. I try to keep the curtains open as much as possible also.
  • autovatic
    autovatic Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Hailing from northern New England, here, so I feel ya! And, what IS up with this winter??

Maybe this is the obvious answer, since we're on a fitness site...but, I exercise. Usually in the a.m., I run, lift, do intervals, crazy 10 minute YouTube fitness videos, whatever it takes to motivate me to move. I have found that to be more effective than anything else - even bright light therapy, which I have dabbled with a little.

I also find that a close eye on my diet, some communing with nature, and a little meditation helps out too.

It helps to remind myself that this season too, shall pass. :)
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Northern Michigan here...just finally saw the sun after a 6 long months! Exercise, going outside, and yoga have helped me the most. I know several people who've had success with a desktop light therapy lamp.
  • driii123
    driii123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As bad as it is, I found tanning really helpful. Just went for 1 month and noticed a major difference (also a fellow Canadian who is so very sick of this miserable cold weather)
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have found taking a vitamin D supplement seems to help alot! I also have a lamp that mimics sunlight on my desk that i use in the mornings.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta, it's winter here FOREVER!!! I actually did a paper in my psych class on SAD. The biggest thing I can recommend is go outside as much as possible. Take Vitamin D with Magnesium and calcium supplements (women's one a day have all three), and get "happy lights". They're florescent lights that you sit in front of for half an hour the minute you wake up in the morning. I also have gone tanning, and made sure that the lights were low so I didn't tan, but I could feel the heat and absorb the awesomeness.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I had it during our Oklahoma Winter (maybe December thru Jan?)

Honestly it didn't shake till spring.

Sorry for the no help.

Good luck.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I run
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    light therapy really helps! you can get them on Amazon :happy:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I work out, try to do as much cardio outside as I can, take Vitamin D, and see a therapist.

Still haven't overcome it completely during winters. Planning on moving to really "treat" it :wink:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I must say that I am much better since I've been working out regularly, I used to suffer really badly but it's not too bad the last couple of winters.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I must say that I am much better since I've been working out regularly, I used to suffer really badly but it's not too bad the last couple of winters.

This is what I do too...I'm more active in the gym during the winter than in the summer.
  • sandikegz
    sandikegz Posts: 66
    Options
    I combat it with tanning, yoga, running, and anti-depressants, lol!!!!!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I lived many years in Northwest Washington and take St Johns Wort or the equivalent as in 5-HTTP seasonally. The boost in my serotonin levels helps a lot. I also use exercise to feel better.
  • Living_Barefoot
    Living_Barefoot Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I should give those happy lights a try. They had them when I was in college and they were awesome.
    Thanks for all the help!! :)