Juicing- to do or not to do... that is the question????

Options
13»

Replies

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    {clip} Juice fasting is great way to make a sudden break from bad habits that are hard to break.
    Wrong a good way to break bad habits is to have some self control and not look for or make excuses. You should try that instead of juicing.
    Just toughing it out does not work for some. If it works for you, great!

People are built differently, both physically and mentally. If juice or just greens or other odd diet for a brief while (say, a week) helps break a cycle and gets a person started on self control, then it is good.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I got a juicer for my birthday, used it once, and now it's collecting dust in a closet. It was a pain to clean, and that ended up being the most expensive damn juice I've ever drank. You need an insane amount of fruit.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to "kick start" or "cleanse", and you're thinking about doing an all-juice diet, that's a bad idea.
    Disagree entirely. Juice fasting is great way to make a sudden break from bad habits that are hard to break.

Only if you plan on juicing the rest of your life.

Once you start eating solids again ... wouldnt you just go back to your old habits? I would.

The act of eating and drinking are completely different things.
    The thing is, after a juice fast, high fat foods are very unappealing. Your taste buds adapt. I used to hate things like celery and kale, and i thought some fruits were bland. I was so used to the strong salt, sweet, greasy and spice tastes in my SAD that fruit and vegetables were just not appealing to me. After the fast, they were.

I only did it for 4 days, i don't actively recommend juice fasting to people, and i don't think it is necessary. But, from someone who has done it before, it does help accelerate the process of switching your taste buds to where natural unsalted food tastes great.

So, in the rare case where someone is interested in eating more fruits and veggies, AND they just can't seem to start, or they dislike the taste, than i do recommend a very short fast. A water only fast can serve the same purpose.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Juicing and pressing veggies in a shredding machine that extracts the juice. Tastes horrible but so healthy.:smile:
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I saw no, and here's why:
    I watched a Dr. Oz. episode once over juicing and there was this woman on there who lost over a 100 pounds by strictly juicing. Nevertheless, gained back MORE weight than she lost after a year. She was talking about how she thought she was doing the right thing by juicing but now she can't stop eating and gaining.

By no means though am I saying this would happen to you! But watch the video on Dr.Oz's website and you may have a different view like I did.

Also, it extracts most of the nutrients in the fruits and veggies rather than just eating them.
  • Grumpellina
    Options
    If you like. Just don't expect it to be some "miracle cure", as juicing still has calories and if you overdo it with some items, you can still go over your caloric intake.

You will also be hungrier. You need solid food.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input :smile

Here is why I even looked into juicing, I have a very senative gut. Seems when I eat too much fiber, fresh fruits and veggies it actually makes my stomach "bowels" painful. I have been drinking smoothies for several months, along with eating regular food, but I noticed that upset my stomach as well. I tried adding beno type enzymes and didn't notice much change. I love my green smoothing as a morning snack. I was doing some research and was curious as to the benefits of the actually taking the fiber out, maybe it would be easier on my digestive trach while getting all the nutrients still. What I am considering would be to add the fresh juices rather than smoothies to my current plan.

Plus was curious as to what MFP though of all this :)

If you are having intestinal issues after eating a lot of fiber, you need to see a doctor, not start juicing. It could be sensitivity, or you could have polyps that are being irritated as the insoluble fiber passes through your intestines. Go get checked out, you don't want to mess around with that.
  • dramallamaduck
    dramallamaduck Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I supplement, but I don't use it as an entire meal... I like to chew my fiber :)
  • carpe_vinum
    carpe_vinum Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I often juice for lunches and add chia seeds. My favorite: 3 beets, 2 carrots, 2 oranges, 1/2 lemon - this will last me for three days' worth of lunches.

I like it for the nutrients and it helps me get my veggies in. I have a masticating juicer and would highly recommend it over a blender, smoothie maker, or regular juicer.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have tried what I guess is a "green smoothie" or "green juice" at one of those Costco demonstrations. I could not get it past my tonsils. It hit the back of my throat and GUCK. I couldn't swallow it. I had to spit it back into the cup. Not sure whether it was the taste or the foamy, somewhat slimy texture, but ... no. No, no, no.

That might have been a bad example, a terrible demonstrator, or just not the ingredients for me, but it was so embarrassing nearly throwing up in Costco that I will not experiment ever again. Go whole or go home, that's my motto now.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If nature intended us to eat 3-5 pounds of fruits and vegetables in one sitting, we would be able to consume 3-5 pounds of fruits and vegetables in one sitting (without serious side effects! ha).

I'm no-go on juicing, though I will have a smoothie occasionally.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Oh! And fiber... It is my understanding that juicing removes the INSOLUBLE fiber. You juice will still have SOLUBLE fiber in it. (You do need both, but I am just saying the juice will not be totally without fiber.)

yup, there's a fair bit of insoluble fibre too as the juices are far from crystal clear.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's unhealthy. It's better to eat the whole fruit or vegetable, but if you can't eat enough for whatever reason, I think you're fine juicing.

I made a juice this morning (first time in months). I had a bunch of veggies and herbs that were starting to go bad so I figure I'd juice it up with some apples that were starting to go bad. It was a great shot of nutrients this morning and relatively low calorie.
  • yolohunter
    yolohunter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a juice fast or replacing whole meals with juice, but I love my green veggie juice every morning! Since I started having a veggie juice almost every day, I have noticed considerable improvements in my energy level and my skin, and have reduced the amount of coffee I drink by 75%. I usually make a batch and drink it over 3-4 days, but when you drink it fresh it is literally like shooting amazing nutrients right into your veins...you can feel the power!

I usually make mine with: collard greens, kale, celery, spinach, tons of ginger root, cucumber, and a couple carrots and an apple for sweetness.
  • Lisacare
    Lisacare Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input :smile

Here is why I even looked into juicing, I have a very senative gut. Seems when I eat too much fiber, fresh fruits and veggies it actually makes my stomach "bowels" painful. I have been drinking smoothies for several months, along with eating regular food, but I noticed that upset my stomach as well. I tried adding beno type enzymes and didn't notice much change. I love my green smoothing as a morning snack. I was doing some research and was curious as to the benefits of the actually taking the fiber out, maybe it would be easier on my digestive trach while getting all the nutrients still. What I am considering would be to add the fresh juices rather than smoothies to my current plan.

Plus was curious as to what MFP though of all this :)

If you are having intestinal issues after eating a lot of fiber, you need to see a doctor, not start juicing. It could be sensitivity, or you could have polyps that are being irritated as the insoluble fiber passes through your intestines. Go get checked out, you don't want to mess around with that.

Thank you so much for the concern. I have seen a doctor and the issue is abdominal adehesions, caused by radation therapy as a small child and multiple abdominal surgeries. The reccomendation is to eat a low fiber diet. Any idea what that does to your diet? The actually said eat mainly canned or very well cooked veggies and No whole gains. This goes against everything I believe to be true and also it will kill me in other ways. So I am just searching for a way to get as many neutrients in, in the least invase way :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Have you got a specific figure for fibre that's been given to you?

After reading up on what fibre does, I decided that in reality I wasn't that bothered about it and often don't get that much.