I'm not losing

Options
Hello everyone,
I've been doing fitnesspal for awhile now, and I'm really struggling to see real results. I'm pretty convinced that I'm not eating enough as I'm not eating back my calories from exercise. Does this really make a difference though? Also, I seem to get the majority of my calories from carbs-could this be an issue?
I'm getting really down about my weight and have a long history with dieting-unsuccessfully.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Can you give more information?

How tall are you? current weight? Exercise? Do you weigh and log everything you eat? can you open your diary?

Could someone insert the sexy pants thread here - OP you should read it :)
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Could you give us a little more information?

Do you weigh your food?
    Are you logging consistently every day?
    What are your stats?
    What are you goals?

If you aren't losing, and there are no underlying medical issues, you are not in a deficit. As you said you don't eat back your exercise calories I would guess you are not logging accurately, or have the wrong calorie goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Lavery8880
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and 177lbs. I log everything I eat and am exercising about 3x per week for 1/2 hr a time. Cardio and body weight training. I'm on 1200 calories a day, but sometimes am under due to exercise. Should I be eating more? Also I do have a cheat day once per week, but don't go mad
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat more.

FitnessFrog.Com

Find our your TDEE and -15% from that ... eat that amount. That will include exercise, so dont eat calories back.

I cheat everyday.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and 177lbs. I log everything I eat and am exercising about 3x per week for 1/2 hr a time. Cardio and body weight training. I'm on 1200 calories a day, but sometimes am under due to exercise. Should I be eating more? Also I do have a cheat day once per week, but don't go mad

Do you measure or weigh your food?

Do you log your cheat day at all?

I ask these two questions particularly because people who aren't weighing their food tend to underestimate their calories. Sometimes they're actually eating close to maintenance without realizing it. It's entirely possible to lose weight without one, but when you aren't losing it's a good place to start. And a cheat day can likewise wipe out your weekly deficit if it's big enough.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Also, how long has it been since you've seen a drop on the scale?

A week or three isn't an unusual stall and if it's only been a week or two you might be doing everything right and still see water weight fluctuations that look like a stall.

Weight loss isn't linear and we have to get used to the fluctuations while we're dieting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1241843-really-reaally-good-article
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Logging what you eat is not the same thing as weighing and measuring your food then logging it. You have to weigh and measure to know that you are actually staying at 1200 calories. There is no other way to know.
  • motivatemychange
    motivatemychange Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to exercise 1/2 at a time, you need to do this 5 times a week as that is the minimum requirement of activity recommended for an adult (I do a sports degree) If not, just increase your current exercise to 1 hour :) Combination of strength and cardio is a great choice! Try doing interval training on the cardio (eg. on a treadmill, walk for 2 minutes, run for 2 minutes) The walk set the speed for slightly slower as if you were to walk for 30 minutes (I set mine at 5.5kmph) and running set the speed for slightly higher than you would if you were to go for a jog (I set mine for 9kmph)

Are you eating whole foods when it comes to carbs? Like brown bread instead of white?

Carbs can be a big contributer to weight but you don't want to cut it out as it's a great source of energy! Try eating more protein (white meats like chicken is best) and more whole foods. Don't cut it out completely, just reduce the intake a little :)

Hope this helps!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Do you measure or weigh your food?

Do you log your cheat day at all?

I ask these two questions particularly because people who aren't weighing their food tend to underestimate their calories. Sometimes they're actually eating close to maintenance without realizing it. It's entirely possible to lose weight without one, but when you aren't losing it's a good place to start. And a cheat day can likewise wipe out your weekly deficit if it's big enough.

This. If you are not weighing your food, you're probably eating more calories than you think.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    i bet you this months wage packet you're eating a lot more than you think you are because you're not weighing
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing you're eating too much, there's no such thing as eating too little and not losing weight. You aren't a special snowflake defying laws of physics.