bunion foot pain....help!!!

Options
I have always had bunions on both of my feet but they never bothered me until now. I just started taking several aerobics classes during the week and developed pain in my right foot where the bunion joint is. I'm so discouraged and disappointed! I haven't taken an aerobics class since Thursday but I worked out on the elliptical for 30 min yesterday and still had pain last night. It's not unbearable just nagging and I'm scared it will get worse. Plus I can't do the intense cardio I was doing. I am so sad about this

Replies

• MarisaShickel
    MarisaShickel Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to your pain. I had a nasty bunion on my left foot for longer than I can remember. It started way before I was 16. People were always shocked to see how bad it was and how young I was.

It never really bothered me and then all of a sudden one day it did. It bothered me a ton when I was running. I was miserable because it would hurt the whole rest of the day after a run.

I couldn't take it anymore. Not to mention my wedding was coming up and my bunion always prevented me from wearing the shoes I wanted but I wasn't about to let that happen on my wedding day! I elected to have surgery. It was very involved because it was so bad plus I had a bunion on my little toe joint which was hurting me even worse. On top of that, my bunion was so bad because I'd had it so long that when the doctor fixed it my second toe would have been way longer than my big toe which can cause problems. So I elected to have that shortened at the same time. It was hell. But I'm very happy now! It only aches randomly and I can wear whatever shoes I want! Now I'm starting to get a bunion on my right foot. Yay for poor genetics! :)

If you don't want to go that drastic with surgery you could try bunion pads. They sell them in drug stores. They provide a cushion between your bunion and shoe. I never tried them. I've also heard you can literally cut your sneaker along your bunion to provide extra room for it and therefore less pain. Never tried that either because I didn't want to look silly.

If you don't like those options and I can't blame you for the shoe one, I would suggest going to a podiatrist to see if there's anything they can do to help.

I probably wasn't much help but know that you aren't alone! Best of luck to you!!
  • mommafit30
    mommafit30 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes you have been helpful. I'm hoping to stay away from surgery if I can. I have two babies under two years old and I can't afford the recovery time! It Would Be Nice To Wear Shoes I like. Right now I'm having to wear men's shoes because of the width. I guess I could do other forms of cardio like swimming or biking. I just love my zumba and aerobics classes so much but they make you pivot right on that toe joint. I'm trying some Over the counter remedies also. This sux but I guess things could be worse.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am nervous to get the surgery. I keep putting it off.

My problem with pain seemes to be either blisters or shoes that are too tight.

I look for sneakers with a wider toe box, or wide width if I can find them. I also have noticed that some shoes, like Saucony, have a mesh spot where mine is so its a bit more stretchier. Asics seem to have a piece of the leather/plastic part that goes over mine so it is uncomfortable. And I make sure that it is loosely tied in the front.

(this is in reference to my experience with running/running shoes and pain. Not sure if it will factor into what you are doing but thought I'd add it in case it may help :flowerforyou: )
  • mommafit30
    Options
    So you are able to run with the bunion?? How do you manage the flair ups? My husband thinks I should rest it and it will heal on its own but I'm not so sure. It just started hurting this week. I started wearing a splint I bought at Walmart at night that is supposed to help realign the toe back to its original position
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    So you are able to run with the bunion?? How do you manage the flair ups? My husband thinks I should rest it and it will heal on its own but I'm not so sure. It just started hurting this week. I started wearing a splint I bought at Walmart at night that is supposed to help realign the toe back to its original position

I've run half marathons. Most of the time it doesn't bother me. I haven't really managed it, my pain usually only lasts a day or two so I'm not sure.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have bunions on both feet as well and last year experienced extreme pain in my left foot right before a cycling tour. Go figure. I visited the podiatrist and he gave me a steroid or cortizone shot which helped tremendously. I was able to cycle with no problems. I did find that I could no longer wear my beloved Keen sandals (too heavy?) and as others have said lean towards shoes with a wide toe box. Zumba is a no go for me :(

Contact a podiatrist, they can help.
  • kerrid72
    kerrid72 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've had severe bunions on both feet for as long as I can remember. I had surgery on both feet when I was in 4th grade but it didn't help (recently a podiatrist said he didn't understand what that doctor was trying to do). Anyway, I have had severe pain in both feet off and on but still continue with my exercises. I have found that the right shoe is key. The best I've found recently are the Asics Gel Nimbus. Also, a good arch support helps me. I would suggest going to a running shoe store that allows you to "try out" the shoes on a treadmill or around the store. The pain can get unbearable sometimes but keep searching for the right shoe and you'll be able to do the exercises you like with little to no pain.

I've seen too many bunion removal surgeries that have gone wrong so I refuse to have my removed.

BTW... I'm so glad to see this post because I used to feel like I was the only person with bunions that wasn't a senior citizen. :wink:
  • mommafit30
    Options
    Thank u all for the encouraging words. Im going to make an appointment with a podiatrist in a couple weeks if my home remedies don't help. Across the board I believe the shoe makes the difference.
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I also tried buying men's running shoes. I also tried taking an old pair of running shoes & cutting a hole on the side where my bunions are. The best solution I found was buying Women's Saucony shoes double E width ( EE ). I ordered them online at Shoebuy and they have changed my life. I can now walk and run with no pain because my bunions don't rub against the side of the shoe . Bunion surgery is a last resort...and they can grow back my podiatrist said.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I also tried buying men's running shoes. I also tried taking an old pair of running shoes & cutting a hole on the side where my bunions are. The best solution I found was buying Saucony shoes double E width ( EE ). I ordered them online at Shoebuy and they have changed my life. I can now walk and run with no pain because my bunions don't rub against the side of the shoe . Bunion surgery is a last resort...and they can grow back my podiatrist said.

I did not know they could grow back. My doctor recommended I get the surgery as I will likely get arthritis in the joint but I'm still not too keen on the idea. It doesn't help that I am extremely sensitive about my feet and the idea of surgery on them makes me weak.
  • kerrid72
    kerrid72 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to try those Saucony shoes too. I get tired of the same style and limited colors. Also, I didn't think about arthritis in those joints.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I'm going to have to try those Saucony shoes too. I get tired of the same style and limited colors. Also, I didn't think about arthritis in those joints.

It might just be a personal fit thing, but I find that they have a mesh spot where my bunion fits. The mesh has a little more give so not as tight.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have tailor's bunions, so just on the little toe side, but I completely agree that shoes are key here. Not just your exercise shoes, but every single pair of shoes you own should be roomy in the toe box. This means I can never ever wear pointy-toed shoes or boots. I also need good arch support. Mine aren't bad enough for surgery yet, but I definitely get pain from wearing the wrong shoes.

For running shoes, I like Saucony and Brooks. For your Zumba classes, have you tried Ryka? You might also try some wider widths to accommodate your bunions. Good luck!
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have a big bunion on the left side of my foot by the big toe and yes, it is very painful. I've asked about surgery and was discouraged as the Dr. said it would probably come back and the surgery can be very painful as well. I've been wearing the bunion pads on it that I get from the drug store or Wal-Mart and it helps tremendously. A lot cheaper than surgery since I don't have insurance that would cover it. Those bunion pads have been a lifesaver for me. Good Luck.:flowerforyou:
  • Mountainsong129
    Options
    I don't have bunions, but I do have physical issues that discourage me from aerobic exercise. And yes, it is discouraging! For me, it is hard enough to get myself to the gym, or even out of the house these days, for walking (I also deal with severe depression and anxiety, which make motivation a huge challenge.) I am trying to vary my workout (aerobics and light lifting at the gym) one element at a time, to see what is causing huge flare-ups of pain. For you, it seems that is pretty clear exactly what is causing the pain! I am trying the treadmill (walking at incline), vs. elliptical, vs. hill-walking (I am surrounded by roads on small hills). I am wondering if you might try a recumbent exercise bike? It's not weight-bearing, which has some cons (bone strength), but a major pro of taking weight off your feet. I don't know enough about spinning to recommend it, b/c I think instructors do have people stand on the pedals, etc. Perhaps you could find an instructor supportive of your modifying the class (i.e., no standing.) Just some thoughts. Maybe you've had them all already.

I don't know if your insurance would cover it, but I just got a script to start PT. I am going to take notes, ask questions, and really pick their brains, so I can try to learn how I can get more fit without so much pain.

One reason I responded is b/c even though I don't have bunions, my husband does, and I see how much pain he goes through. Also, a friend has had bunion surgeries. So, I sympathize, as well as just dealing with obstacles to our goals. I'll send a friend request. Friend me if you like!
  • mommafit30
    Options
    Wow thank you all for the suggestions!!! I bought a bunion pad from wal mart and it is helping a little. Im going to have to look into Ryka and those other shoes mentioned and get them extra wide. They dont usually carry the wide widths in the stores around here so ordering online may just be what is needed.
  • Kidominos
    Kidominos Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have a tailor's bunion and was having constant pain while walking or working out. Like others have said, the correct shoes help a lot. One with a wide toe box or extra wide. I love my Asics Gel Nimbus. I also just bought an All- Gel bunion guard. It slips over your little toe, made of all clear gel and works great. No pressure on my bunion anymore and cheaper than buying bunion pads all the time. (under $9 including shipping on Amazon). After a few minutes, you don't even realize/feel you are wearing it. It's very soft gel and washable. I too do not want to have surgery and the gel guard seems to be working.
  • ffargynnig
    ffargynnig Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've had severe bunions on both feet, bad enough that I had to buy shoes a size and a half larger just to fit into them. I had surgery on both feet and it took several months each foot to recover. It was awful pain to go through but it was worth it. I can walk with a normal gait now, my feet don't pronate as badly and I no longer have the crippling back pain I had grown used to. Having bunion surgery was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I used to put it off and try every foot gizmo and insole on the internet. Trust me, the surgery is the only thing that will fix it if your bunions are affecting your quality of life. There are literally hundreds of ways to have bunion surgery done, if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor, shop around and find someone you can trust.
  • runner805
    runner805 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bunions...oh yes. I've run nearly 10 half marathons and a couple full marathons but I do battle bunions. I've noticed if I eat healthy and keep inflammation down, it actually helps. I also lace my shoes different - I avoid the hole by the bunion all together. I know this sounds strange but I keeps the shoe a little looser near the bunion. I also never run without my Bunion Bootie. Look them up, they are super thin and very comfortable. It prevents rubbing and there's something about finding comfort in having my big toe kept away from the other toes. I know you can't cure a bunion but I at least feel like it's not getting worse. I never want to have surgery. Best of luck :)
  • mazlawton
    mazlawton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Me too, my sister has had surgery for hers and my mum is in desperate need for both feet but refuses to take time off to recover, am secretly wishing mine will go away on its own if i ignore it but i know that it will be surgery in the near future, It got so bad last summer that i thought I would have to give up my beloved zumba class but have had great success with a wider training shoe am using sketchers go walk at the moment loads of padding and really lightweight and I do cheat abit with the swivels if its on that foot, find if i rest after class then its ok by the next morning.