Ladies doing 5x5...results?

Options
I'm planning on starting the SL5x5 tomorrow. I've read up on it and I plan on lifting Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays with cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I also usually get a long walk in on either Saturday OR Sunday, but I'm not counting that as anything significant.

I am eating at a deficit, so I hear that means I can't gain muscle and anything I do now is to retain the muscle I already have - which isn't much. I'm just trying to figure out if 5x5 is even a good idea.

I've only got 8 lbs to lose and I'm losing at a rate of .5 lb/week. I try to take in at least 95-100 g of protein each day, but I often get more than that. I'm 5'5" and 138 lbs.

I looked up 5x5 results and didn't find anything really impressive. I know it makes you stronger, but will it also make you look better? I'm not expecting a six pack or awesomely muscular legs and arms, but I'd like to be able to tell some difference after a few months. I'm not overweight, but I don't have a bikini body either. Skinny fat is probably a good word to describe my body, and I work out 5-6 days per week as it is - both cardio and strength, but not really heavy lifting like the 5x5.

Should I supplement these workouts with something else on off days? Things like curls or rows or lunges, or should I avoid lifting at all on those days?

Ladies that do the 5x5 - what kind of results have you gotten? Can you tell any difference in the mirror?

Replies

• wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the strong-lady related questions, but I can say that you should keep all your strength movements confined to lifting days (i.e. no lunges on an off day). The reason being that lifting heavy is taxing on your muscles, ligaments, and joints. The rest days are really, really important so that you're not straining the muscles faster than they can recover. Recovery is as important as the actual lifting in terms of strength gains.
  • NikkiRios
    NikkiRios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My friend is a pretty avid lifter and he started me not on a 5x5 program, but a 3x10. It's insanely easy, but you actually end up lifting more (5x5=25 vs 3x10=30). And try to move up 5lbs each week (though I haven't been able to keep up with that every week). I've seen decent results. In January I started out squatting with just the bar, 45lbs, and last night I did 125lbs. I have lost weight and feel healthier and stronger. I have some tone, though I want more. And I didn't cut calories. I actually started eating more. I'm about 5'6" and around 138lbs. In January I was more like 145lbs.

Rest days are important. It's almost impossible for me to take a full day off, but sometimes your body just lets you know you have to. And make sure to eat healthy and stay hydrated.
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I did SL x5 for a about 10 weeks, stopping on 3/30 for a different plan since I got bored.

I ate at (or slightly above on some days) maintenance. I almost doubled my squat, and was pulling 220lb deadlifts at the end of that time. I also run a couple days a week for 45-60 mins.

I see the biggest difference in my back. I now have visible traps, tighter triceps, and tighter lats. My arms overall are more defined looking. Photos tell me my rear looks better in a swimsuit now, too. I did not lose scale weight, but I lost inches.
    So yes, I strongly recommend the program. I did it as-is until the last couple weeks, and then would add seated rows and wide-grip lat pull downs on days that had Barbell rows in the plan, just because I was bored.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    So should I up my calories to maintenance and just focus on losing inches instead of pounds? I still feel as if I've got some extra fat that needs to go. I know that lifting will burn fat, but I was hoping to get down to 130 lbs before I increased my calorie intake. However, I don't want to wait months to start lifting. This is all so confusing! I'm sure I'm making into more than it is.

Has anyone tried this program while eating at a deficit? I know my progress will be slower, and that's fine, but I don't want to waste my time if it won't do anything.
  • SoSheDid_
    SoSheDid_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the SL 5x5 program with my husband for about 2 weeks now. I'm starting to notice that I just look firmer all around, especially my bum from all the squats! I'm 5' 2", 142 lbs. and around 28% body fat, and I'm lifting to maintain the muscle I have while I take off body fat. It's such a simple program and it's easy to follow, but as you add weight every workout, it gets intense quickly. That's basically why I chose the program. My husband and I haven't lifted in a few years, so we're basically starting over. I really, really like it so far (I had NO idea I'd like lifting heavy so much!). I lift 3x/week and do cardio the other 3 days a week. The hardest day of the week for me is my rest day, I hate doing nothing now. It's very important you give yourself 1 day off though, your muscles need the rest! Good luck and have fun!
  • runnergrlfl
    runnergrlfl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine doing it at a deficit. It was a taxing workout. When referring to scale weight, I had a friend that used to say "no one see numbers on the scale on your *kitten* when you walk down the street, but they do see a smaller *kitten*"

Lifting will make you smaller and firmer, which in my opinion is more valuable than weighing a specific amount.

If you do some searches on here, lots of ladies have actually gained a few pounds while lifting, but looked twice as good.
  • SoSheDid_
    SoSheDid_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the program while eating at a deficit (about 1600 cal/day, that's my TDEE - 20%), and I know I won't be adding muscle while eating this way - I just don't want to lose any. For me, I'm happy with doing it this way because I still have a significant amount of fat to lose (142 lbs. now, goal weight of 125ish). With you being much closer to your goal, I don't know the best way to go about it. You will have to eat a lot closer to your maintenance to take the weight off slower (maybe TDEE - 5%?). Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in. Runnergrlfl has good advice, too.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Maybe you really don't need to drop pounds. You can do a recomp instead, where you would eat just about maintenance (during this period you can figure out exactly what your maintenance number is, and if you do so slowly you may lose another few pounds) and lift heavy. It's slow, very slow, but you'll start to build muscle while trimming just a little bit of fat, which will make you look leaner and get that "bikini body" but the number on the scale won't go down.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yeah forget weight... I lost "3" lbs according to my scale, 7 according to MFP in 70+ days... I have been doing 5x5 and have lost 13.5" and 10% in body fat. My weight has stayed the same for the most part but I've lost 17lbs in body fat. I'll happily stay between 178-180lbs if it means having less body fat!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    And BTW, if you are itching to be active on your off day, don't do any lunges or curls or whatever... Cross train. Go for a walk, go swimming (I'm all over that right now), cycling, etc.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes you should do it. But no you aren't going to see awesome muscular physique difference in 16 weeks eating at a deficit. BUT you're results will be better than if you didn't lift and lost the same weight, there's really just now way to display that (besides losing 8lbs without lifting, taking pictures, regaining 8lbs, then re-losing it with lifting and taking pictures). I think people have unrealistic ideas on what lifting will do for them. It won't make you look like a fitness model in just a few months. Those results take years and probably bulk/cut cycles.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So should I up my calories to maintenance and just focus on losing inches instead of pounds? I still feel as if I've got some extra fat that needs to go. I know that lifting will burn fat, but I was hoping to get down to 130 lbs before I increased my calorie intake. However, I don't want to wait months to start lifting. This is all so confusing! I'm sure I'm making into more than it is.

Has anyone tried this program while eating at a deficit? I know my progress will be slower, and that's fine, but I don't want to waste my time if it won't do anything.

I've been doing a modified version while on a deficit. Basically I do 3 sets of 6 instead of 5 sets of 5. But try it. If it gets too hard then cut down your sets. You won't progress as fast but you'll still progress.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I did Stronglifts from January-March 2013, and I have to say, it's hard to do when you're in a deficit, but I love the program and I continued to do it until I stalled out on all my lifts and moved on to a more intermediate program.

Here's a picture of my results, where I was eating at maintenance during the time I was doing the program (I have since done it while eating at a deficit as well). The first picture is from Feb 2012, but my weight and body measurements were the same as when I started the program in January.

Feb12toMr13BF.jpg

As you can see, my results were anything but spectacular, but my legs got more shape, my butt definitely lifted, there's a bit more definition in my back, and my stomach (where I carry most of my weight) got a TINY bit smaller and less droopy looking.

What impressed me the most about the program was how much my strength increased. I started at 45 pounds for barbell row, deadlifts and squats, and 2 ten pound dumbbells for bench press and overhead press, and even after 3 months I was up exponentially in all of my lifts.

Also, there's a group on here that's awesome if you want some extra support:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    But no you aren't going to see awesome muscular physique difference in 16 weeks eating at a deficit.

:noway:

That's bull.. if she is in the fitness/acceptable range of body fat, eats well and lifts, she will see amazing results. Maybe I am just not understanding your post but there are countless people on here (including myself) who have seen amazing change and reduction of body fat in 12 weeks or less.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I started the program in the middle of February. I like it because I don't always have a lot of time and I can generally get this done in 20 to 30 minutes on my lunch hour depending on how long I rest. I have the exact same schedule as you MWF lift, T TH cardio and then I walk my dog daily, but don't really count that as exercise, I just count that as "not sitting on my *kitten*" moving. I also do no weight squats and wall pushups through out the day pretty much every day cause I have a desk job and I like to get the blood pumping every hour or so. I also only increase my weights every 2 weeks instead of weekly as it was too hard for me and I kept getting hip flexor strains with the squats or some kind of hip problem, but if I move up in the weights slower, I don't seem to have those problems. I, personally, throw in a few bicep curls, tricep dips and planks as well. I have definitely felt and can start to see a difference for the 8 weeks and I still eat at a deficit on those days, but I eat a lot of protein as well. Go for it!
  • schminnie
    Options
    For what it's worth, I am 27, 5'3", and 141 pounds. I used to weight train, so I might have that whole "muscle memory" phenomenon going for me, but I hadn't lifted for a year before I started doing Starting Strength (which is a 3x5 program) about 8 weeks ago. I do no cardio and lift 3 days a week (sometimes 2) doing 3x5 of 3 exercises and sometimes an extra set of abs or bicep curls or burpees/light power cleans for funsies.

I started out weighing ~148lbs. and eating what I thought was a surplus (2700 calories), because I really wanted to get stronger. I did. I got so, so much stronger. But then I cut to maintenance level (which I thought was 1800 cals, even though I always ended up averaging about 2300...) However, at this 2300 calorie level, I have lost 1lb. every week. This would suggest that on this program, my maintenance level is a solid 2800 calories, which is insane.

As for my results, I look a lot different nekkid. I lost a nice amount of belly/hip fat and put on a ton of muscle, especially around my back and shoulders. My shape is so much nicer and firmer--like it used to be--but I am the same size. I will add that when I am able to stick to my 1800 calorie limit, I am feel weak in the gym. I actually deadlift 10 lbs. less than I did when eating as much as I could, and my squat has stalled out as well. I'm going to just continue lifting at these stalled weights and reduced calories for a while, and hopefully I can lean up more. After that, I will focus on putting on additional strength/muscle.

I hope that is somewhat helpful. Basically, my thought is that you can get by eating much more than 1600 calories.
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I will post my 5 month update next month(my update) but u can check my progress pics on Instagram @Barbarabroohm. I have shrinked like crazy...still going
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

I'm thinking about upping my calorie intake to 1700 per day. This is what Scooby's site recommends for TDEE - 10%. If I feel like I'm making no progress or I'm weak, I'll up it to 1900, what Scooby recommends for gaining muscle and losing fat. My maintenance is between 1900 and 2000, according to these calculators. I just don't want to gain fat. I don't care if the scale says I gained a few pounds if I look and feel better, but I don't want to look like I'm gaining the fat back.

The thing is, I usually net pretty low (too low, around 1200) and I eat back my "extra" calories during the weekend so my weekly average is at my goal. I'm not really willing to give up my weekends when I can be more lax on my calorie intake. I still log everything, of course, so I'm hoping it'll all even out and I won't see any lack of output because of this.

Maybe I'll stop logging exercise (just put 1 calorie there like others do), make my goal 1700, and eat about 1500 per day so I can still have my weekends. I know it's all trial and error, so I'll just see how that works.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

I got around 6 months out of this programme, at deficit. You can make great strength gains at deficit and if you're lucky, because you're new to it, maybe a tiny bit of muscle gain too. I'd say, just see how you get on first before you decide wether to up your calories.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

I'm thinking about upping my calorie intake to 1700 per day. This is what Scooby's site recommends for TDEE - 10%. If I feel like I'm making no progress or I'm weak, I'll up it to 1900, what Scooby recommends for gaining muscle and losing fat. My maintenance is between 1900 and 2000, according to these calculators. I just don't want to gain fat. I don't care if the scale says I gained a few pounds if I look and feel better, but I don't want to look like I'm gaining the fat back.

The thing is, I usually net pretty low (too low, around 1200) and I eat back my "extra" calories during the weekend so my weekly average is at my goal. I'm not really willing to give up my weekends when I can be more lax on my calorie intake. I still log everything, of course, so I'm hoping it'll all even out and I won't see any lack of output because of this.

Maybe I'll stop logging exercise (just put 1 calorie there like others do), make my goal 1700, and eat about 1500 per day so I can still have my weekends. I know it's all trial and error, so I'll just see how that works.

Sounds like a solid plan. GL!