I don't understand

Options
I don't understand. I've been on my diet for just one week. I started at 315 and went as low as 308 but now I'm 311. I have exerised 5 days out of the week burning a min of 600 calories. I have eaten less calories than my BMR except for day for when it was recommended that I eat up to my BMR so my body doesn't shut down the fat burning; and even after that day I only went up to 309. So can anyone tell me why on a day when I was a net 800 calories (after my workout) below my daily consumption that I have gain 2 pounds? Am I missing something?

Replies

• mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    At 309 lbs. and guessing an average height of 5'8", your BMR should be 2130. That is NET. BMR is the number of calories that your body needs just to sustain its basic functions.

If you are going below 800 net, you are starving your body, my friend.

General rule is never to net below 1200 calories for women or 1800 calories for men. You are just not eating enough.
  • SamanthaBarber
    SamanthaBarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a salty meal the day before? That can have a huge impact on the numbers.
  • Centerstagekris
    Options
    It's possible that you are eating too few calories and your metabolism is slowing down and not burning as many calories. I was at a standstill and I started eating 100-200 more calories a day (still exercising) and now I have started losing again.
  • KJHILL
    KJHILL Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Because you have only been on a diet for a week. You will drive yourself crazy if you are weighing yourself everyday. Make it once a week or every three days, if you have to. Your net calories (intake - burned = net) should be around the same everyday and decrease your net when you lose 10lbs or when you plateau. be patient, if you eat right and exercise, it will come off
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hi there, congrats on getting started. If you've only been at it for one week I wouldn't worry about it so much. Your body will take some time to adjust to the new reality. I would also recommend only weighing in once a week, it's too easy to get discouraged. Rely instead on measurements such as waist, hips, neck, chest, etc in case you are adding some muscle with your workouts. Lastly, it's a point of discussion around here but you may want to eat more of your exercise calories. If you get too much of a deficit your body will hold onto every little bit and make it much more difficult to lose. Hang in there, I started at 305 and am down to around 260 so I know it can be done :)
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    Are you watching your sodium in take? Even if I stay under calories for the day, but have a lot of sodium - my wieght can increase briefly.
  • richhhd
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Absolutely don't weigh yourself every day - weight fluctuates too much because little things can affect it like having a little more salt. What I do is weigh myself on Monday to see how I'm starting the week. I weigh again Friday to see if I've maintained or lost during the week. Then when I weigh on Monday I can again see if I maintained, lost, or did a little damage over the weekend and went up. Helps me to keep an eye on things, especially the tough weekend times when routines are harder to maintain.

I also think that at your present weight you are definitely not eating enough and your body is holding on those fat stores. Eat your exercise calories you will still lose weight. Maybe not a quickly as you would like but this is a marathon, not a sprint. If you try to take it off quick it won't stick. Its taken me 3 years to lose 250lbs and its the first time in my life I'm actually keeping it off and sticking with a long term, life change plan.

Good luck!