0 to 5K Training

Options
I started MFP 50 days ago and I'm now down 27 lbs. Mostly been walking and riding a stationary bike at the gym. I started running, lifting, and swimming over the last few weeks as my stamina has increased. I'm an analytical person and started tracking my activity with the Fitbit Flex which I love. Its a great tool for measuring daily activity, but it doesn't do everything. I've also added a Nike Sportswatch and the optional Polar HRM which is awesome for keeping track of my runs and calorie burn. Having the heart rate monitor has taken a lot of the guess work out of my workouts. Can't say enough good things about it. Now after I've been working out and starting to run, I decided to do do a 5K this summer. Scary thought, but I think I can do it. I'm now on day 3 of my training. I'm using the 5K Runner app for my iPhone. It's been good so far, and the positive app reviews back it up. Wondering if others here are using the 5J Runner app or have successfully completed it. Looking for some feedback and motivation.

Thanks!

Replies

• michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi! Awesome work so far! I am saving up to buy a Polar HRM too and can't wait until I can get it, I'm sure it will make my workouts a lot more accurate too.

I am just finishing up Week 4 of the Couch 2 5K app today! I have noticed SUCH an improvement in my running ability since starting. A little background: I have osteoarthritis (yes I'm 27 lol) and almost all my cartilege in my knees and ankles are gone. Makes it very hard to walk and doctors told me to quit all sports and never run when I was 15. So I did. Aaaaand got chubby and unfit! I decided I was sick of letting doctors tell me what my body could do and figured I am young and my body is forgiving. So I have been doing running 3x a week which I find ok for them (more than that and knees get too sore).

Anyway when I first started 4 weeks ago, even running for 90 seconds it starts you out with was difficult for me and made me out of breath. Now, I can run 5 minutes without stopping! I know that's not much to some people but for 4 weeks, I think that's pretty great progress.

I find the app very motivating and can't wait until I am done all 9 weeks and running a full 5K!
    I am thinking about repeating this current week (4) until I really have it down, but there's no shame in that. Just keep in mind to listen to your body and see where it's at. Good luck!!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I finished it last summer. Stuck with running- first half marathon next month. I hated running anything longer than about 200m. But now I love my long runs best.