I need to know the truth....

Options
about peanut butter!!
Is it good for you or not??
I see all these things saying apples (paired with an apple or banana or whole wheat toast or something) is a great snack. But then I'll hear that peanut butter is actually not that great and it's holding me back
Is peanut butter good or not? I tend to eat a lot of peanut butter, usually with my breakfast and my lunch but I want to make sure I'm not putting myself at a disadvantage. I have some issues getting protein in my diet so I know it's good for that but can somebody explain to me what the deal with peanut butter is? Thanks :)

Replies

• ditditdee
    ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The problem with peanut butter is that people eat too much of it. 2 tablespoons is a serving, and it's really not that much. Additionally, you need to watch out for the added sugar and hydrogenated oils.

Conversely, PB is a great source of good fats, is a good protein source, and a good source of fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin e.

PB is good, in my opinion, in moderation.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Not all pb is the same. You want to fine one without any added sugars or oils. And in moderation it is good.
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    PB is great but you gotta follow the calories! Eating a cup a day is going to give you problems. eating a serving or two is great.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter or freshly ground is better for you. It is actually a better source of fat than protein. Peanut butter is actually an incomplete protein, its missing some amino acids to make it complete.
  • ditditdee
    ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter or freshly ground is better for you. It is actually a better source of fat than protein. Peanut butter is actually an incomplete protein, its missing some amino acids to make it complete.

It is an incomplete protein, but unless you're only eating pb and nothing else the whole day or week, it's doubtful you're not getting the remaining amino acids. PB and bread, for example, form a complete protein. If you have an apple and pb as a snack, for example, and some toast later in the day, you still have a complete protein even though you're not eating it all in one sitting.