meal replacement shakes

Hi, I am looking for some information on meal replacement shakes. I have prediabetes so I am trying to keep my carbs per day under 130 as recommended by my nutritionist. I have struggled with my weight off and on for years and am currently 220. My biggest problem is planning my meals. I do ok for 1 meal a day but the constant "is this on my diet" and "will my kids eat it as well" is overwhelming day in and day out. I work a night job 7p-7am(get there at 6 and arrive at home again around 8am and sleep til 3). So planning is super hard when I am not home during the night to defrost meat, etc. Anyway, I've been thinking to try a meal replacement drink for the meals when I am at work. Typically I eat a meal at 445-5 with my kids that is basically dinner, then I pack a meal that is my lunch around 12am and eat another light meal around 3-4am. My thought is to replace those 2 meals with a shake of some kind along with a fruit and veggie to round it out to take the thought process out of it.

Has anyone done this? How does it work? Any good shakes that are filling and pack a good nutritional punch?

Replies

• lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    I like the Atkins shakes. I'm not sure if they will keep you full. I would eat them with almonds if blood sugar is an issue. What works better at keeping me full are the Atkins Peanut Butter chocolate bars. They are filled with Fiber!!! I used to work those hours too, what I did was eat a nice Dinner and carry 100 calorie almond packs,an apple,and the Atkins peanut butter bar...those held me over until the morning with the coffee at work.
  • nelson8203
    nelson8203 Posts: 1 Member
    I also work 7p-7a. I do meal replacement shakes every day. They seem to work really well for me, I add fruits and veggies to them and blend them at home and take them to work and keep it in the fridge. I use Shakeology shakes- they are a little pricey but full of nutrition, and I like them better than other shakes I've tried.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    GNC has a great one I made mine look at my diary!
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    About the kids...I know that it can be difficult to diet with a family, but my kids have to eat what I cook or fend for themselves. I always make a protein, carb, and 1-2 veggies, or the usual tacos, pasta, casserole etc.I think that its important to make meals that are healthy for everyone in order to not stress yourself out and to keep the whole family healthy.

Whenever I cook for myself I make at least 3 serving. I eat one now, one tomorrow and freeze the other. If you do this you will have a small amount of pre weighed and measured meals for you.These are the meals that I eat when I make something for the family that I don't want to eat,although most of the time I'll just have a small amount and add a nice salad.Good luck!!!

Oh yes..Slow cookers are awesome for times when You forget to thaw out the meat...lots of lowcarb slow cooker recipes that your family might love!!!!!
  • cassie77775
    cassie77775 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks! I bought a 4 pack of Atkins to try and will probably hit up gnc to check out their powders as well
  • I use Oh Yeah it is 220 calories, 4 grams carbs, 32 grams protein. I drink one for breakfast, one for lunch. I get them at Quick Trip pre - made. LOVE the cookies and cream. Gnc does have the powder and bars. I have lost almost 50 pounds since October. I hope this helps.