The cheat day question!

Options
Does anyone here have an actual cheat day? Or big cheat meal? And if so, have you had negative effects from this? Or does it help sanity and not impact really at all? I'm just curious on everyone's opinion because I feel as if a cheat/reward day isn't bad at all. That's only 52 days out of 365 that you would be eating unhealthy. But before I have one Saturday, I would like to hear some of your guys opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• deannc1
    deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken fish or turkey most days, but last Sunday I REALLY wanted a rib eye steak. So I had one. I didnt consider it cheating cause I know I gotta live, and I aint gonna make it to my grave without the occasional steak, dish of ice cream or candy bar. I listed it in my food diary. That truly helps keep me on track. I went over my allotment by 200 calories. Do I regret it? Heck NO! :laugh:
  • sandtisch
    sandtisch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for me.

I either calculate something sweet in every (second) day and am fine.
  • shanerobinson81
    shanerobinson81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work well for me if I'm working a specific plan. They just seem to get me off track and make me want to go back to old habits. Hamburgers and fries are my nemesis. If I eat them on Sunday afternoon, I want them again Monday night. That's just me. So, as an alternative I can make an 6 ounce patty (90/10) and baked some sweet potato chips. I will skip the bun and condiments. I get my fix without the guilt and without further cravings. Hope this helps.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat.. I log everything and eat what I like. but then again.. I want to lose this weight. its not cheating if you log it and its in your calories or just a bit over. if I am going over for the day I just up my exercise for the day so I can have that second margarita or that piece of pie, etc.
    By doing this, I have never plateud in 34 weeks. So many restaurants have their nutrition info online. I feel that if you feel a need to "cheat": then your diet is way too restrictive. THat is my opinion of course
  • TheVevina
    TheVevina Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to have cheat days, but I realized that I would eat myself sick and get an immense food baby LOL Sometimes I would gag too and it was just too uncomfortable. Hence, if I want a treat, I now fit it into my day and I'm happy
  • Dorio11
    Dorio11 Posts: 6
    Options
    I feel like Id go insane lol
  • Grumpellina
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day", although I should probably incorporate one into my eating and exercise regimen.
  • Ewalkitout
    Ewalkitout Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to make your cheat day a "healthy cheat day." The days of eating crap are over, a person must embrace their new found healthy life.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My day off is kinda a cheat day. But I still log everything. I suppose the only way it's a cheat day is I put less pressure on my food choices and staying under my goal. If I go over by a hundred or so, eh, no biggie.
  • Dorio11
    Options
    Strongly disagree^ I went from 210 to mainting 140 in a year ... And I have had cheat days in between @ewalkitout
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I cycle my calories so that I allow more on the weekends and eat less throughout the week. Then, I can have a little bit more of something I like. I still try to include healthy foods through. And, I still have sweets and things during the week, just not as much.
  • HitTheFloor
    HitTheFloor Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cheat everyday. Calories in versus calories out. Just make sure you get your vitamins in but don't go over your calorie count and splurge a little on tastier food in a lower quantity.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eat "bad" stuff everyday. LOL.

I just aim not to eat as much of the sweety goodness like I used to. I have a limit. Most days I am under my calories or close to it so I figure that is just fine. I am eating plenty of veggies and good proteins most of the time and Im losing weight.

I dont really call it a cheat tho. I give myself between 2-300 calories a day of junky stuff. I usually use it up on chocolate and it works for me.
  • Dorio11
    Options
    Geeze so I guess I'm the only person who has a cheat day it seems ..
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to make your cheat day a "healthy cheat day." The days of eating crap are over, a person must embrace their new found healthy life.

I don't do cheat days as such - I go over sometimes but it's not a planned cheat day and I still log everything.

But 'the days of eating crap' do not have to be over - some 'crap' in moderation can still be part of a healthy life.
  • fran11mat
    fran11mat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. Not a cheat 'day' but definitely a naughty meal each week. I look forward to it and it is something to work towards. I can't eat as much as I used to so it isn't too bad anyway. Generally this meal will be dinner with family or friends or a few drinks.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Cheat days don't work for me.

I either calculate something sweet in every (second) day and am fine.
    This. I've been on here a few times in the past, and I can link my falling off the wagon to cheat meals or cheat days. Its too hard for me to let go than go back to recording food. I allow myself a low cal ice cream sandwich or a couple pieces of dark chocolate and log them. I have a wedding I am going to in the end of May and I am saving up for 1 cheat meal, and I plan on trying to record it anyway. :)
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't do a cheat day, just do a cheat meal. Give your self an hour to eat what you want. But after the hour is done your done. No cheating after that. Its good for your metabolism and even better for your sanity!
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat day, whenever i want to take one, usually ends up being roughly 1 a month. I find they are an excellent reminder of how awesome i feel when im eating well and working out and how ****ty i feel after eating a load of crap, usually leads to an increased accuracy of my logging along with higher levels of motivation for the next 2 weeks, leading to an increase in my weight loss over the period immediately after having a cheat day.

If you can do 1 day without it turning into a couple days a week a month e.t.c then i don't see why you shouldnt, on the days that i don't wanna be worrying about calories like special occasions i just don't... lost a load of weight doing it this way and will continue to lose more until im happy with where im at.
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Im only just coming back to this however I dont think cheat days work this works for me as its counting kcals so I eat the same as I always do I just calculate treats into my everyday yesterday I hd some crisps and choc but thats on exercise days when I am going to cover it I think if you deny yourself stuff losing weight stops becoming a lifestyle change and becomes a diet and we all know how successful diets are longterm lol