Donating Plasma - does it affect diet?

Options
If I donate plasma twice a week will I need to change my diet in any way?

Replies

• RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daveblakeyza
    Options
    You should ideally be eating more lean meat and staying away from greasy things. As well as keeping well hydrated. That should be about it though...
  • pokeythepiercer
    Options
    Might want to increase your fluid intake. When you give plasma, the nutrient rich portion of your blood is put back into you. The portion they take is not going to rob you of iron etc. Best bet would be to ask you Doc or one of the techs at the Plasma bank.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    The body replenishes plasma within 24-48hrs. The advice given is to drink plenty of water to replenish lost fluids. I'd just try to ensure that your diet covers all your nutritional needs. Apparently people with low protein levels or high fat levels in their plasma can't donate. The best thing to do is to ask at the facility you intend to donate at.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated. I used to donate plasma. After donating, I could drink two bottles of water and still be thirty... You'll want to keep protein and iron in normal levels. If I recall, those are the main two things they check for (it's been a few years, so someone correct me if I'm wrong). They will reject you if you have TOO MUCH of either, too. You'll, ideally, want your diet to consist of vegetables, meats, and fruits. I ate a lot of lean meats myself.