Should I be suffering headaches after workouts?

Options
I've been going to the gym as well as trying various classes lately and love them. I feel so refreshed and awake, and the aching muscles makes me feel like Iv had a great workout. The problem is, the next day I wake up and my head is throbbing and I feel so tired and run down in the mornings that I'm struggling to get up.

I didn't make it to the gym this morning and after working, I kinda just wanted to come home. I don't think I'm even gonna be able to force myself to a toning class tonight.

Do you think it's linked to the exercise? Should I be getting these so bad?

Has anyone else got this problem?

Let me know please cos I don't want to have to stop on my classes and the gym mix - it's the best I've felt in years other than the headaches and exhaustion on mornings.

Replies

• Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    Sounds a little bit like dehydration. Try upping your water intake, especially during your workout.
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Drink LOTS OF WATER...Should help quite a bit
  • Charlie001
    Options
    Could be from the neck. Or you strained your blood vessles. if it persists, see a dr.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary to know how you are eating, but those sound like symptoms of going too low in carbs to me. Not enough water could be causing some of it too. Also, have you cut out caffeine since starting your new healthy lifestyle? Those could also be withdrawal symptoms from caffeine. Exercise probably isn't the reason, though.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I had problems getting migraines after workouts. Two things helped- one was water. The other was making sure I warm up and cool down. Don't just jump right into a vigorous exercise. Take a few minutes to warm your muscles up, and gradually work your heart rate up. Then do the same thing, but backward for cool down. At the end of your workout, gradually work your heart rate down. That way you don't shock your body. Hope that helps :)
  • sahramel
    Options
    The water intake is something I've actually increased on and I've been drinking water with lemon juice too, to improve my skin.

Wonder if I am straining - maybe it's from the 'sit ups'. I'm not very good at them, but keep trying when I get chance cos I want to improve my stomache. I thought I was doing them ok though. The instructors haven't commented on it to me.
  • sahramel
    Options
    Training with Tony -

Hi, I have reduced my caffiene intake, and I have reduced carbs and increased protien - but I haven't cut them out. Should I put the carbs back up a bit more. Is it about finding a balanced level of carbs that's good for me?

I eat alot of veg - I've been making home made soups up alot cos I'm skint, and I have them with bread rolls. Sometimes I have a sandwich, other times it's maybe shepherds pie I've made with veg. But I have been trying to cut things out like coffee because of the bloating etc
  • Michaelwhalon
    Options
    iron intake, try and see how you're doing on iron
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Training with Tony -

Hi, I have reduced my caffiene intake, and I have reduced carbs and increased protien - but I haven't cut them out. Should I put the carbs back up a bit more. Is it about finding a balanced level of carbs that's good for me?

I eat alot of veg - I've been making home made soups up alot cos I'm skint, and I have them with bread rolls. Sometimes I have a sandwich, other times it's maybe shepherds pie I've made with veg. But I have been trying to cut things out like coffee because of the bloating etc

Since you've cut out caffeine, that would be my best bet on what is causing headaches. Maybe substitute a tea for your coffee so that you are still cutting it but cutting it slower then going cold turkey on caffeine.

As for carbs, though, everyone is different on them. The standard is that you should consume at least 130 grams per day to maintain brain and red blood cell function, but many people need a lot more then that. What % are you getting of carbs now? If it is the problem, maybe up it by 5% at a time (and leave it at that level for at least a week) to see if you can find a level that works for you without causing symptoms.
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    Training with Tony -

Since you've cut out caffeine, that would be my best bet on what is causing headaches. Maybe substitute a tea for your coffee so that you are still cutting it but cutting it slower then going cold turkey on caffeine.

As for carbs, though, everyone is different on them. The standard is that you should consume at least 130 grams per day to maintain brain and red blood cell function, but many people need a lot more then that. What % are you getting of carbs now? If it is the problem, maybe up it by 5% at a time (and leave it at that level for at least a week) to see if you can find a level that works for you without causing symptoms.

I agree, I think it's the caffiene withdrawl....happened to me. and all the up and down and moving around will just aggravate a headache...i used to get them during and right after. if it's the next day i would say drink more water. at least 100-140 ounces a day if you are working out everyday. i drink about 150. i have migranes issues and i am the kind that once i get one, i am down for at least 2 days....drinking a lot of water and making sure i take my iron supplement REALLY helps.
  • sahramel
    Options
    Hi, I was never big coffee drinker. I tended to make maybe 4 small cups a day - but never finish them. My dad gets mad cos I leave half empty cups on the side. I've reduced it so I'm having 2 'half' cups lol

I'm gonna try the water thing. It seems to be the most common suggestion ppl are telling me, via text, in person or on here so I'll see how I go with that.

Thanks all for your comments though.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    OK so this is not something you should be trying to figure out on your own (or on a website, as much as I love MFP, we're not doctors). I would make an appointment with your PCP or with a clinic or where ever you normally would go to receive non-emergency health care.

The worst case scenario is they rule out serious issues before you start trying to narrow down the problem.
  • sahramel
    Options
    SHBoss1673

Hi, I've drank a lot more water today and I'm going to see how it persists - but I agree, if the headaches don't stop, I'll make an appointment with my doc after Xmas and get checked out.

I spoke with a couple of personal Trainers I know and they both think I've maybe been over doing it a little with exercise and not drinking enough water for my workouts, so I'm hoping that's all it is.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    SHBoss1673

Hi, I've drank a lot more water today and I'm going to see how it persists - but I agree, if the headaches don't stop, I'll make an appointment with my doc after Xmas and get checked out.

I spoke with a couple of personal Trainers I know and they both think I've maybe been over doing it a little with exercise and not drinking enough water for my workouts, so I'm hoping that's all it is.

maybe, as a personal trainer myself, I'm surprised they offered an opinion as that can be construed as medical liability in some states (unless they are actual friends of yours). If it's consistent, and reoccurring, I'd always recommend a doctor, even if the symptoms go away, I'd still see a doctor, you don't want to mess with persistent head aches, they can be signs of neurological issues.

I Hope it's nothing! Best luck to you.
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I have suffered with migraine/complicated migraine for most of my life. I had them under control until I started working out and ended up with a daily headache which was diagnosed as chronic migraine that was exercise induced. I went straight to my neurologist. The remedy? A longer warm up and a much longer cool down and the headaches vanished. It had to do with vascular dilation and constriction happening quickly and the warm up/cool down periods helped the process go slower. Also, I had to up water intake to keep blood volume up but only sips during exercise. Much of the fluid intake was throughout the day rather than during exercise.

Hope you're pain free soon!
    Prisa