adding walking as excersize

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't know about 'light'. I can burn 350 calories or more in one hour on the treadmill at the gym (I even reached 425 two weeks ago). I'd rather walk outside though, but even then, I do 3 miles in 45 minutes and there are some hills... it's still pretty good exercise. And I do it every day. Clearly, it's helped me.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    To me walking around grocery shopping (for example) wouldn't count as exercise. Now my dedicated walking where I walk anywhere from 3-6 miles, that's exercise. I count that.
  • WelshPhil1975
    WelshPhil1975 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I walk roughly 3 miles a day as part of my usual daily routine and the vasty amjority of this is at a quick pace. I deliberately underestimate it and I log about 1/3 of this so it recognises that I am doing the excercise, but I don't feel that it's a comfort zone of net calories this way.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercise is to walk around my town with an audiobook on my iPod. Fresh air, no people I have to talk to except for a friendly nod. I don't speed walk but I try to walk with purpose and good form, and after 75 minutes I definitely feel it in my calves and core.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    walking is how I have lost most of my weight. i walk like six miles or more a day. i make it my new thing now to walk to my local mcdonalds for their yummy parfait. it is 2.6 miles away. Plus i go for a second walk after dinner too. walking is great. :drinker:
  • megidia
    megidia Posts: 3
    Options
    I walk at gym incline 10 percent incline and at about 3.8 to 4.0 mph for a half hour and burn a ton of calories.. yes it's exercise.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I walk 5 miles per day at 4.0-4.5 mph. I log that as exercise. I also try to maximize the walking about I do during the day - I move quickly, I always take the stairs, I deliberately park at the back of the parking lot, etc. I don't log any of that.

Fitness walking (which is my 5 miles per day) is excellent low-impact cardiovascular exercise. Don't dis it.
  • staceyloukelly
    Options
    I lost my first 2 stone just walking my Husky, i then started calorie counting now i'm carb counting and have 3 huskies to walk plus my daily workouts but walking is a much better exercise than people think, i could barely do anything when i started walking and would be exhausted after walking 4.4 miles with my dog, i now walk all 3 one at a time, walk to do my shopping visit people etc and do kettlebell, cycling, exercise bike, aerobics step and some jogging too, not all in one day but my point is it gave me stamina and some fitness back as well as losing 28lbs, worthwhile if you ask me!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I log walking - of course it is exercise.

I don't mean I log walking to the car etc - but if I walk to work or take the dog for a walk then I log it, anything 10 minutes or more of continuous walking.
    It doesn't burn a huge amount of calories for the time taken, I think it is 34 calories for 10 minutes medium pace - of course something like running for 20 minutes would burn more than walking for 20 minutes - but it still counts.

One of the biggest promotions in Australia in terms of getting the population healthy was to encourage 'incidental exercise' like walking up the stairs instead of taking the lifts, parking further away in the parking lot and walking to the shop entrance etc - in other words for people who do no exercise, every little additional bit helps.

Like PP said, some of us are not trying to body build or become elite athletes.
    but taking an 'all or nothing' approach to exercise (ie if Im not going to run a marathon or join a gym, its not worth doing anything) is counter productive to those people.
  • motivatemychange
    motivatemychange Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Walking is good if you walk for a prolonged period of time 20-30mins+ and at quite a moderate-fast pace! (Uses fat as fuel rather than carbohydrate)

(I do a sports degree haha)
  • cuyunamike
    cuyunamike Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30+ lbs mostly from walking and riding a stationary bike.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Yep walking counts. I don't drive so I walk a lot. I don't count my general day to day walking. But I take the dog out for 1-2hrs cover 6-7miles and I walk a route that is varied terrains. Lots of steep hill climbs and different paths underfoot. If you keep a good pace and don't just amble along then its a great burn. Plus (dependant on area) fresh air! :bigsmile:

*Edited to add - Have you seen some hardcore hill walkers? I'd say it can shape the body pretty well too. Not just general weight loss.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Walking is good if you walk for a prolonged period of time 20-30mins+ and at quite a moderate-fast pace! (Uses fat as fuel rather than carbohydrate)

(I do a sports degree haha)

Actually I think walking is good if you do it at all.

The Australian guidelines say people should aim for 30 minutes per day, most days - but they point out that it doesn't matter if this is one 30 minute block or 3x 10 minute blocks.

I have heard of some very obese unfit people who were told by nutritionist to first walk to letterbox twice a day - in other words anything is better than nothing, just start doing something, and it does not have to be a minimum time or pace to be beneficial.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    as someone else posted earlier, I have a fitbit flex and wear it daily. It's nice cause I can see how much walking I actually do. In a given day at work (yes, it's work, but I work retail and I'm constantly on my feet walking around) I have found not only was I severely under guessing how active I was on a normal day, but I found out I was burning way more than I knew. So yes, I totally count walking as exercise. It's getting you up and moving. And if that's where you start, that's where you start!
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Actually walking burns a surprising number of calories. Taking the time to walk an hour every day will make a HUGE difference over time.

^^^This^^^
  • cuyunamike
    cuyunamike Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Walking for an hour can burn 400-500 calories. That's a big deal. You lose weight by having a calorie deficit.
  • goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    Options
    oh ok I just felt like a senior citizen doing morning walks at the mall
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I walk 4-8 miles a day. It's been very helpful in my 91 pound weight loss so far. I think it is weird that anybody would think it shouldn't count.

I guess if you are walking a half mile or something very slowly you really don't get that much out of it though.
  • cchew686
    cchew686 Posts: 108
    Options
    Do you mean like....walking to and from your car, walking from the bedroom to the bathroom, walking through the grocery store? Or walking as in....I'm going to take a 30 minute walk? If it's the latter, I don't see why that's a problem. If it is the normal walking you do throughout the day, don't log it, it's already worked into your activity level.

While I agree about not logging general walking, I have to say that I can get a good workout in at the grocery store. Ducking and dodging around all the people who stand and stare at the food like they never seen it before can get me a fairly brisk walk. :wink:
  • Grumpellina
    Options
    How I feel about adding my food:
    I started doing it cause I almost went over and I actually DID eat today but it just sounds so lame lol im sorry
    whats everyones stance on adding eating or drinking? it technically counts but its so light.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter, it's so light, right?