Consuming way more protein than recommended

Options
I have been using an app to log my food intake and track my macros.

It is recommended that I consume:
-3,759calories
-202protein
-83fat
and -551carbs

per day.

So far, I have logged about 7 meals (most super shakes and after workout protein drinks. I only have logged breakfast so far)

Now, apparently, I am OVER my Protein and Fat intake (around 126grams of Protein and 19grams of fat) but still have about 305 calories to go.. I still need to log lunch and dinner..

My question is, is it OK to over-consume Protein? I mean over 100 grams of it? I'm looking online but can't find anyone with a similar problem in regards to needing more calories.

Goal: Gain muscle
my stats:
-male
-191lbs
-5'11"

For any help, I appreciate it.

Replies

• alaricryu
    Options
    I haven't started consuming anything yet, I'm pre-planning my days right now.

I honestly don't know what else to do now. I have tried dirty bulking and now i'm trying to actually count the macros and it is another issue.

I have one mass gaining supplement and two different Protein Powders. Will that suffice if I eat a super breakfast and dinner?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    At your age you're at a fairly highly-anabolic stage of your life. Train hard, eat clean and eat protein. Experts in body composition recommend 0.8 to 1g per lb of body weight at minimum, but many are not opposed to 1.5g per pound of bodyweight.

Unless you have pre-existing kidney disease/malfunction, or an impaired glucose metabolism (ie: diabetes, etc.) there's no reason to avoid protein or worry about over-eating that particular macronutrient.
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am not a body builder, so I don't know much about eating to bulk up, etc. I can say that each person's body is different. So, if you're really concerned about the possibility of eating too much protein, check with your doctor. I'm a generally healthy person that went on a binge a few years ago and couldn't stop eating high protein foods. I broke out in hives and was miserable for days. So, in some cases, it is possible to eat too much protein.
  • alaricryu
    Options
    Appreciate it.

Definitely going to start eating clean now, seems like the simple yet effective resolution to this problem.

What is your stance on supplementation? In particular, mass gainers?
  • alaricryu
    Options
    I definitely don't want to experience those side affects..

Truth be revealed, my main goal was to not even consume that much Protein..

How does one consume said protein while still maintaining and consuming all the recommended calories
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Appreciate it.

Definitely going to start eating clean now, seems like the simple yet effective resolution to this problem.

What is your stance on supplementation? In particular, mass gainers?
    Mass-gainers aren't essential to hypertrophy... Many people build impressive physiques with whole foods and skip powders.

Personally, I find a high-quality whey isolate a valuable tool - mostly in that it's a quick source of protein - I can make/consume and even clean-up after a shake in a sum total of 2 minutes =)

If you haven't already, join the "eat, train, progress" group on MFP - they're an awesome bunch for answering questions that you'll likely have.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    I definitely don't want to experience those side affects..

Truth be revealed, my main goal was to not even consume that much Protein..

How does one consume said protein while still maintaining and consuming all the recommended calories
    Keep in mind at 19 you don't need as much protein for bodybuilding as someone older. There's an excellent article by Layne Norton on the subject here: http://www.musculardevelopment.com/articles/nutrition/3709-anabolic-eating-for-your-age.html#.Uz4mxqhdUaA
  • DavidDV78
    DavidDV78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    .8 to 1g of protien per lb is recommended so you are not that far off
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    True you don't need them but its more then helpful to have them, especially if your short on protein. Yes, REAL food first but technically whey protein is food.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    going over on protein and fat doesnt matter... it isnt going to hurt your gains until you go so far over that it cuts into your carbs

i dunno what this "eat clean" nonsense is about...

eat a sensible diet with some fruits and vegetables and hit your macros... you're gonna need to fatty carby foods to get there... avoid things like rat poison, handfuls of fertilizer and pesticides, cat poop, etc.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    We just covered protein in my nutrition course, and from what I understand, excess protein will go to waste and be excreted from your body. Long periods of excessive protein intake can place unnecessary stress on your kidneys.

*Edited to include the recommendations are .8/lb of body weight and slightly more (though I don't remember the exact percentage) for atheletes.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    i dunno what this "eat clean" nonsense is about...

... eat a sensible diet with some fruits and vegetables and hit your macros...
    re is s
    To me that's what it's about. If you find a chocolate cake with whipped cream fits your macros, don't eat it for every bloody meal, is what I'm saying.

There is such a thing as taking "IIFYM" too far. Whole, natural foods are superior in nutrients and vitamins to processed/refined foods... that's what I'm saying.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter, any excess protein you eat your body converts it to carbs anyway via gluconeogenesis, so you're essentially eating expensive carbs
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    doesn't matter, any excess protein you eat your body converts it to carbs anyway via gluconeogenesis, so you're essentially eating expensive carbs
    No, that's not correct. Gluconeogensis will convert a certain percentage but not "any excess" as you state.
    MrM27 is correct here about it being a percentage / not all of it. Some is excreted as waste.

Oddly enough gluconeogenesis appears to be more-active in those of us who are diabetic (especially Type II) and anyone with depleted glycogen stores. (Although in the case of depleted glycogen reserves, that's the primary delivery for it, and thus serum glucose seldom rises much at all).

I've not had the opportunity to research it in-depth yet, so it's anecdotal examples only - but I've seen several dozen examples of this now in other, similar research we've conducted, and in a few studies I've reviewed.