Question

Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
edited June 2022 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else here struggle with thyroid conditions? I know that many people do and if there are have you had much success in dropping weight. I know it can be done but I am under the impression that it is a slower process. Are any of the thyroid supplements any good?

Replies

• Eve23
    Does anyone else here struggle with thyroid conditions? I know that many people do and if there are have you had much success in dropping weight. I know it can be done but I am under the impression that it is a slower process. Are any of the thyroid supplements any good?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Eve23:

I know several of my female friends are hypothyroid. (Under active or inactive thryroid), and I am as well.
    I've been on thyroid supplements for about 10-12 years. You didn't say whether you have hyper or hypo- thyroidIsm. Both conditions require frequent blood tests ( I find every six months is good for me.) The level of thyroid supplement is adjused accordingly (for hypo- thyroid). You don't necessarily get to one dose and stay there. I have gone up and down in the amount of supplement and right now I've been stable at 112 mcg daily for about two years.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    This is from my drug circular from Rite Aid Pharmacy. You can also visit their website www.RiteAid.com for information on any prescription drugs.

1.You should take it in the morning on an empty stomach with a full glass of water 30 min to 60 minutes before you eat.
    2.Use it at the same time every day.
    3.It may take 4-6 weeks before the full benefits of thyroid supplement take effect.

******************WARNING: ***************Not to be taken in conjunction with diet pills to treat obesity or for weight loss because serious, even life-threatening effects could occur.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

There are several pages that come with the drug, and you should read carefully all the precautions. I have much more energy when my medication is dosed correctly. Fatigue is one of the symtoms of under-active (hypo) thyroidism, so obviously having more energy equates to being able to exercise
    and handle stress.

Hope that helps!
  • Eve23
    Thanks cm I do know that much. I have a condition called Hashimotos which is a little more than one way or the other. Basically however your thyroid can swing from one extreme to another and you do have to have medication. I was thinking more in the lines of an extra supplement with L-thyrosine in it being that is a natural thyroid nutrient that a thyroid that is not active enough might help. Anyone have an idea.
This discussion has been closed.