Surgery!! Aaaahh!!!

Options
Hey guys,
I'm about to have knee surgery on Tuesday and I'm very worried about falling out of my routine. I only really started about 2 weeks ago, so I'm not very far into my weight loss...The inches are coming off faster than the pounds, so I'm only about 2 pounds down, but I have been very strict about getting in a good intense workout for at least 30 minutes a day 5 or 6 days a week; however, with my surgery, I'm going to be totally out of commission until I start physical therapy. I'm talkin' bed ridden, Vicodin induced coma for 16 hours a day, on crutches just to walk 5 steps to the bathroom status for at least 2 weeks. My normal workout will take even longer to get back into :sad:
I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me to keep losing (or if not losing, maintaining) the weight while I'm obnoxiously inactive!

Replies

• ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    honestly so long as you stay with your target Calorie intake you should be fine. You will still lose weight, but you won't gain muscle (till PT when they kick your butt!). I would also change your activity level to seditary during that time...

Congrats on the knee surgery though and enjoy Vicodin land!
  • lschu4
    lschu4 Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh I will! Haha. I've already had this surgery once on my other knee back in January, but I wasn't actively trying to get in shape, so I wasn't too worried about laying around---after all, I did it all the time! :laugh:
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    another idea would be to talk to your doctor and maybe there are upper body exercises you can do till your knee is well enough to do more. My mother who has two bad knee's and needs replacements in both can't get up and be active as much anymore (beyond shot at this time, but she's worried about the down time the surgery would take and she's a bit chicken lol) lost weight just by bouncing in her seat to music as well. Activity, ANY activity is better than none :)
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    At least when you're in vicodin land, you won't be consuming calories...

I'm only kidding! Stay within your calorie goals and do some upper body exercises like punches or use light dumbbells.

When I sprained my ankle back in January I would sit on the couch at night, watch anime, and do all kinds of arm exercises.