Hi :) Come say hi back? :)

Options
WisheeNY
WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
Hey guys. I'm Wishee and I'm happy to be here. I'll try not to make my story too long but I'll start off by saying that I've been struggling with my weight for probably the lasttttt... I'd say 15 years. I'm 25 right now btw. Currently I am around 320 lbs. I cannot believe that I let myself hit the 300's. The last time I tried to lose weight was a couple years ago when I was 280 lbs. I managed to get down to 240 and was feeling so good about myself. Well then the holidays came around and I'm sure you guys know the rest and have heard that story over and over.

As far as my background, I am African American, 25 years old, and from Texas. My upbringing was... well it was just okay. I have a really good relationship with my mom, an okay relationship with my brother, and a horrible relationship with my dad. I was verbally and sometimes physically abused by him and I just loathe him as a person. I've been suffering from social anxiety since I was pretty young and with my steady weight gain throughout the years it's just gotten worse and worse. My social and sex life are non-existent. I'm a virgin, sadly. Funny thing is I'm also a very successful phone sex operator lol. I also work in a store part time.

My weight has had a huge impact on my quality of life. Social anxiety and morbid obesity mixed together is just... horrible. Sometimes I just sit and think how I can't believe how fat I am. I have always felt like I was not meant to be fat. I always felt like a normal-sized girl in a big girl's body. Even when I dream, I'm never fat in my dreams. Cliche as it sounds, I really want my outside to match the way I feel inside. I want it so badly but years of bad habits and fear of stepping outside of my box have made weight loss very hard. As an adult, I've probably tried to lose weight 4 or 5 times, the last time with my 40 lb loss being the most successful. Well I'm halfway through my 20's and I just do not want to waste the rest of it being unhealthy and unhappy. I already wasted my teens that way.

Right now I can't honestly say I've taken many steps at all towards my goals yet. My mom and I joined a gym like a month ago. I've only been once but I really liked it. With my social anxiety and insecurity about my weight, it was hard to get up the courage to go but I did and I was very happy I did. Now it's time to do it again.... and again.... and again. As far as food, I really just plan on eating healthy and counting my calories. There's no special diet or pills that I want to try.

With myfitnesspal I guess I just hope to find a great, supportive community and maybe slowly... very slowly... make some friends lol.

Thanks for reading all my crap lol... if you made it this far. o.O

Replies

• michelleneli
    michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Michelle in Ohio. Good luck to you. I have a MFP friend who has lost 209 lbs. and is currently at 166 lbs.:smile:
  • WisheeNY
    Options
    Hi, I'm Michelle in Ohio. Good luck to you. I have a MFP friend who has lost 209 lbs. and is currently at 166 lbs.:smile:

That is AWESOME! I love to hear about other people succeeding at this!
  • PawPrints89
    PawPrints89 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have 140lbs to lose! It's a big scary number, but a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step!! I will send you a friend request. Everyone is welcome to add me. I try to post what I eat to share some new ideas.
  • azlifah95
    azlifah95 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi Wishee! Welcome to MFP! :D
    Frankly, I think MFP is just as important as having a gym membership. The people here are very nice, (mostly) and you'll be surprised at just how informative they are. In my opinion, keeping the weight off is a mental process. I've been battling it myself and the best thing I did when I started going on a "diet" was to actually change my mindset to lead a healthy lifestyle instead. Getting fit is more than a physical change, it's also a mental one. That's the reason why yo-yo dieting doesn't work.

I'll recommend Toshad84 for a friend because she's very inspiring, friendly and a very consistent person. We all need that one friend. HAHA. You can also add me!

I just wanna say that you don't have to be great to start but you have to start to be great. By writing this post down, you're heading in the right direction. I hope you'll achieve happiness and success here! :)
  • mommy_witcurls
    mommy_witcurls Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just getting started today…so let’s keep each other motivated. I work overnights 3 days a week and have have four children- so meal selection is a challenge. My weight gain has increased a lot in the last 7 years and I'm trying to gain control of it and develop a healthy lifestyle that will help me maintain those results (I have 72lbs to lose).
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi, Wishee (and everyone)! Tech, here. I am not necessarily new to MFP, but I would say I am new to doing it right. I am in roughly the same boat as you.. I am 23 and just recently hit upwards of the 300 lb mark recently. Though it did make my heart sink, I can't say I was surprised. I went away from the working world a few months back and since then have made a myriad of unhealthy decisions for myself - generally stuffing my face out of boredom and Netflix. Now, real health problems. My back is tight. My hands swell. My breath runs out easier.
    I suppose I'll be posting my welcome post soon with the details, but what I mean to say is this is definitely the right place to be. You're nowhere near alone and everyone here is so helpful. I have learned so much just from being active a few days. Welcome! I think we'd be good motivators to each other.
    Anyone else is welcome to friend me as well!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Ohai!
  • Linda8989
    Linda8989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi Wishee! Welcome! I've lost 85 over the past few years, and still have about 70 to go, so I know how you feel. This is a great place to do it ... lots of good support and people who understand. I'll send a friend req.
  • happygilmorex
    Options
    Welcome! Im also kind of new here myself haha.. you can check my bio on my profile!
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    HELLO. We are glad that you are here. There are lot's of people on here willing to be encouragers every step of the way. I am one of them. And I know we can encourage each other.

Like you I have struggled with weight for a very long time. Im 27 and have too been on MyFitnessPal since I was 25. Yay.

Though I am only recently been so active. lol

Mtfitness pal definately has the tools you need to help you out. And you will see results. :P

You just kind of have to do the diary every day or every other day.

I am sure you will find many people here willing to help you out and even be your friend. I would like to add you to my friends list as well. But there is one thing I must say first.

I want to encourage you to do 3 things. No matter how much you excersize or what you eat if you do these things you will see results, and it will encourage you to do more. I know that my results do not show much but they do show. I have medical issues that cause me to lose weight very very slowly. But I want you to know that I have recently found out this past year 3 things that has encouraged me more then any thing else I have tried. (bere with me if you already know these things lol.)

1. Take pictures of yourself. I know it may be hard to take pictures. A lot of people may suggest a sport bra and shorts picture to show every area that you want to lose... it will show more when you do lose. That's what I did... however if you want to, just do a short sleever T shirt and Shorts. But make sure you take a front, side, and back picture. It's best to do it like today if you can. You don't have to show these pictures to anyone but yourself. But It will help you in the end when you continue to see results. Also... It's good to take them atleast 1 time a month. For better result progression. Take it from me.. .You will struggle. This will be very hard. But at the very moment you want to quit; you take another picture and compare, you will see your results and you will be like.. "okay" I can keep doing this.

2. Measure yourself. Take a tape measure maybe even a sewing one and measure as much about you that you want. I tend to Measure "Neck, Right bicep, chest, around my stomach, around my waist, and aroun my hips... Recently I have also added measuring my calves... but that is only because I have recently been doing a lot of excersizing that focuses on them. lol Let me Tell you... If the scale does not do the trick when your down... Your measurements will. Sometimes looking back at your "inch loss" works wonders.

3. Body Fat % calculater. This one is rather new in my life... (as of yesterday) I was feeling like I was not getting anywhere. Like my weight just wasn't comeing off.. I knew I was losing inches.. but i still could not really tell. It's so frustrating. Then one of my friends had posted about how they gained muscle and lost more body fat. I never thought to use a body fat percentage calculater... but when I went back to my inches from last year; to my inches from this year and entered in my BF % calculator... it told me I had lost 3 % percent from last year! Yay. That's not a lot to some people but that was news to me. Once I was done I found "NEW ENERGY!!!" that I thouht I never had, and I was able to do my entire workout without pausing the DVD. LOL. YAY

Okay I have rambled on and on ...once again. But I really do hope these small tips will help you in your goals.
  • Veggie_Ankers
    Options
    Hi all, I'm always looking for mfp buddies so feel free to add me if you like. I'm on the road to losing 80-100lbs depending on how I look when I get to that size. I'm 5ft10ish with a very broad frame so since my docs thinks I should weigh around 10 stone I'm thinking I'd look ridiculous lol but we'll see. I'm aiming for around 12st. Currently 17st 8lbs.

I lost 50+lbs a few years ago when I was at my heaviest of 272lbs (19st 6lbs). Over half creeped back on after meeting the hubby and "settling" (as my gran calls it :smile:) but I started back again last week and currently 5lbs down :happy:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hi, WisheeNY. Best of luck to you.
  • 19_84_jade
    19_84_jade Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

Feel free to add me :)
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this place is the perfect place for you Plenty of people on here have lost a lot of weight and have been much heavier than you, with potentially worse habits. Nothing is irreversible. Just start logging your food and doing as MFP tells you. Visit the forums and enjoy it here.
  • Sweetie_darling
    Sweetie_darling Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

Feel free to add me too :)

I'm Carly- I've lost 70lb over the last few yrs ( 90lb actually, but let some creep back on) and have 40 ish to go. It's so achievable- it just takes a bit of time, commitment and (as I've discovered along the way) consistency.

Best of luck, you've got this!! :)

Xx
  • WisheeNY
    Options
    HELLO. We are glad that you are here. There are lot's of people on here willing to be encouragers every step of the way. I am one of them. And I know we can encourage each other.

Like you I have struggled with weight for a very long time. Im 27 and have too been on MyFitnessPal since I was 25. Yay.

Though I am only recently been so active. lol

Mtfitness pal definately has the tools you need to help you out. And you will see results. :P

You just kind of have to do the diary every day or every other day.

I am sure you will find many people here willing to help you out and even be your friend. I would like to add you to my friends list as well. But there is one thing I must say first.

I want to encourage you to do 3 things. No matter how much you excersize or what you eat if you do these things you will see results, and it will encourage you to do more. I know that my results do not show much but they do show. I have medical issues that cause me to lose weight very very slowly. But I want you to know that I have recently found out this past year 3 things that has encouraged me more then any thing else I have tried. (bere with me if you already know these things lol.)

1. Take pictures of yourself. I know it may be hard to take pictures. A lot of people may suggest a sport bra and shorts picture to show every area that you want to lose... it will show more when you do lose. That's what I did... however if you want to, just do a short sleever T shirt and Shorts. But make sure you take a front, side, and back picture. It's best to do it like today if you can. You don't have to show these pictures to anyone but yourself. But It will help you in the end when you continue to see results. Also... It's good to take them atleast 1 time a month. For better result progression. Take it from me.. .You will struggle. This will be very hard. But at the very moment you want to quit; you take another picture and compare, you will see your results and you will be like.. "okay" I can keep doing this.

2. Measure yourself. Take a tape measure maybe even a sewing one and measure as much about you that you want. I tend to Measure "Neck, Right bicep, chest, around my stomach, around my waist, and aroun my hips... Recently I have also added measuring my calves... but that is only because I have recently been doing a lot of excersizing that focuses on them. lol Let me Tell you... If the scale does not do the trick when your down... Your measurements will. Sometimes looking back at your "inch loss" works wonders.

3. Body Fat % calculater. This one is rather new in my life... (as of yesterday) I was feeling like I was not getting anywhere. Like my weight just wasn't comeing off.. I knew I was losing inches.. but i still could not really tell. It's so frustrating. Then one of my friends had posted about how they gained muscle and lost more body fat. I never thought to use a body fat percentage calculater... but when I went back to my inches from last year; to my inches from this year and entered in my BF % calculator... it told me I had lost 3 % percent from last year! Yay. That's not a lot to some people but that was news to me. Once I was done I found "NEW ENERGY!!!" that I thouht I never had, and I was able to do my entire workout without pausing the DVD. LOL. YAY

Okay I have rambled on and on ...once again. But I really do hope these small tips will help you in your goals.

=O great advice! I'll definitely be doing these!
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    YAY! makes me smile when I help peoples! :bigsmile: I really do hope it helps you. And good luck! We are here if you need us!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :smile: :wink: :glasses:
  • swimfan85
    swimfan85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm 2 days late, but oh well...

I'm 28, turning 29 soon and eventually would like to lose a total of 160 lbs. I grew up swimming competitively and that kept me relatively thin, but I gained weight really quickly after I quit as a teenager. I've made a few half-hearted efforts to lose weight since then, but nothing serious. I understand about the social anxiety thing because I struggle with that too.

I just started logging in MFP a couple of days ago - I had done a few days at the beginning of March but quit when things got tough. This time around, I'm determined to stick with it. Please add me and we can do the weight loss journey together :)

Also, anyone else is welcome to add me as a friend too!
  • only1life4us
    Options
    best of luck to you! You got this! Daily action!
  • RobinLynx
    RobinLynx Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi :)

You came to the right place, that's a great step in the right direction! You can definitely do this. Be sure to check out the weight loss success posts, so inspiring!

You're not alone :flowerforyou: