Binging on free food at work

Options

Replies

• mtapia713
    mtapia713 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started to reverse the cycle and bring healthy snacks and offer them to everyone all the time. Evenutally people stopped offering me garbage and just say oh no she won't eat that, whew!!! Who knows maybe u can start a new trend at work. BTW a plate of chopped vegetables is pretty cheap to bring in.
  • melodieclala
    melodieclala Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One of the best tips I've used in my previous office where there was lots of goodies every single time, is making myself accountable to others. I used to show my colleagues (by ordering only very healthy lunches for example, or by coming back from an intense workout after lunch or in the AM) that I was very healthy and health food oriented, and they would ask lots of question, we would talk about it etc. I used to always refuse snacks the first few times because I had the willpower most of the time.
    Once this is set up, it makes declining unhealthy foods MUCH easier because well, aren't you the "super healthy girl who doesn't eat junk?" You don't want to hear your colleagues going like "oh YOU eat CAKE?"

I feel like this can only work for you if you show them that you're not so much on a "diet" but more just really interested in healthy food only, and not wanting to put junk in your mouth.
    It just takes a few moments of strong willpower to set this image, and once it's done, everyone will assume you do not want all these foods, which will comfort you in the fact that you don't, and will act like a safeguard for your goals. You don't want to look like the strong girl who's being weak in front of everyone, so you most likely will not touch these foods, and feel so proud of yourself after it; which will only make you stronger and develop your willpower, because at the end of the day that's all that's gonna save you no matter what the situation is!
    Fake it until you make it kind of logic has never worked better

Good luck!
  • molliewallner
    Options
    I work in a doctors office and I have the same problem! You would think the girls would want healthy snacks, but nope. All they want is chocolate, candy, bagels, etc.
    I have learned that self control is just like a muscle, and you have to exercise it to make it stronger. It's hard at first but it gets easier and easier! And definitely look up the calories before you eat it....that is a huge one that deters me pretty quickly. Good luck! :)
  • KatieJane10x
    KatieJane10x Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Urghhh tell me about it!!! Its somebody's birthday at work and they've brought a load of cakes in. It is so hard to hold my willpower and avoid! :(
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys, to be honest I think I needed more people to say they were in the same boat and found it hard too....so I didn't feel like I was the only one who found it difficult.

I do realise I just have to say no...I wondered if there were any more tactics :)

Just saying no, is pretty much it I'm afraid.

You have to hold yourself accountable in some way, otherwise you'll do it and justify it to yourself with the 'but it's everywhere' excuse. Remind yourself that whilst it's everywhere, no one is forcing you to eat it.

You could hold yourself accountable by implementing the rule that if you eat it, you HAVE to burn it off with exercise. That way, you might start to envisage those treats as a 30 minute jog, or an hour swimming, or an hour's fitness class etc etc, and they should become less appealing. Especially on the days when you are super tired already.

But I get it. It's hard to resist sometimes, but you can do it.
  • peacefrog08109
    peacefrog08109 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm reading this as the five hershey kisses my attending left me before she left for the night are 6 inches away from my right hand. Each kiss is only 22 calories and my water is so blah. I'm just going to stare at them while I think of how many minutes i have to walk with my dog (who is an *kitten* on the leash FYI) to burn off each. The mere thought of struggling with her is enough for me to "just say no".
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is that you don't bring your own snacks to work and use the work snacks as your lunch. Then also bust your *kitten* in the gym. I would also eat it in a more regimented fashion so have them at specific times eg 10 am with a break, lunchtime then say 3pm for another break rather than grazing the entire day. Also log it so you don't exceed your calorie allowance. You can guestimate the calorie values. :)

I worked in a care home for a bit and there was so much yummy free food around yet I managed to lose weight by applying the above principles. I'm sure the afternoon I spent helping the residents to make sweets probably set me back a bit. :o)
  • KultaPanda2
    Options
    This may not benefit you, but might do the other office workers!
    I keep a canister of water on my desk, whenever I get an email about cakes or sweets in the kitchen I tell myself I have to finish my water before I'm allowed to go refill it and browse the free snacks. Normally it finishes one of four ways..

1) I forget about it by the time I've finished my water
    2) I finish my water, remember, but the snacks have already been taken, or the ones that are left I don't want
    3) I end up not fancying the snacks after the water
    4) I chug my water and have a cup cake that I add into my calories!

Works for me :)
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This is good advice. If I drink enough water I'm usually not really keen on eating any snacks.

Also you could brush your teeth or chew some gum. If you brush your teeth really well, and use mouthwash, often that stops me eating anything for a while.

Another thing that sometimes helps me is thinking of some things that really disgust you, that often puts me off food for a while. :blushing:

You could try pre-logging the snack you want to eat. If you can fit it into your day then go for it, but often I'm shocked enough by the calorie count that I decide I won't eat it.

Also, imagine how you'll feel after that snack is gone. Much the same, I imagine, if not a little annoyed that you gave in. The cake itself only lasts a few seconds.

Most importantly, if you do eat it, log it and move on, don't use it as an excuse to eat more cake as you've already blown it today! :bigsmile:
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I sit right behind the treats table at work. Within 3 months of joining I've gained 6 pounds. This is WITH a 4 mile walk to work and back on my side.

What helps me more now is at the beginning of the day I pick one thing that I'm going to have in the morning (for example a chocolate coated oat cookie) provided that it's around 100-120 cals. Then I keep it to one side and have it at 3pm with a cup of tea. I generally try to walk for around 40-50 minutes at lunchtime, just around the block. It really helps becuase I have then earned the calories I'm going to eat plus I got some fresh air and exercise. You can make it work for you!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm going to go into the opposite direction.

Just say yes.

Bring high protein and veggie snacks or very light lunches with you. If you know you are going to be eating at school, let school provide your breakfast and lunch. (Have some form of lean protein before you go in.)
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My best advise is take one portion and then physically remove yourself from the food.

If you can't do the above, don't worry I totally understand.

We had a work morning tea this week and I pigged out.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Could you put in a suggestion of having the free food kept in one specific place? For example in our office free food is left in the lunch room. If I know there is food in there, I can avoid the room. For me if I don't see it, it is easier to say no.

Along the same lines perhaps make an attempt to change the culture. Bring healthy food of your own to share, or make a request for people to stop bringing junk food. I'm not sure what kind of school you work at (young kids, college type institution), but there may be parents of students who are also tired of the culture of "just say no".

You are already doing many of the things I would suggest. Good luck!

So others that don't have the same lifestyle as her which is probably most of the office should not get to eat free food because she can't say no.

I said make a request for it to stop, not a demand. It can't hurt to make the request, or open a dialogue about it. Is it likely to change anything? No, probably not.

In my office making the request did help, but I know that won't happen everywhere. It turned out a lot of people were bringing a partial batch of cookies, or half a cake because they didn't want to eat it themselves. More people wanted the free junk food to stop than wanted it to continue. We still have free food once in a while, but it is less than before. That wouldn't have happened if someone hadn't brought it up.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Please take this seriously and do not respond with 'just say no' - thank you, I need ideas I haven't already thought of.

Why do you need another mechanism i.e. something else to remind you why you are saying no? Just get it over and done with.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Ask to yourself why you started doing this in the first place. Good luck!
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I work at a school, too. People use the lounge to dump off anything they don't want at home or leftovers from classroom parties or sometimes just homemade treats specifically for us. Luckily this particular school is not nearly as crazy with the food as others I've worked in where there was practically elaborate snacks every single day. So basically I make a conscious decision one of four ways. One, I won't give a crap and I'll eat what I want (not binge, notice, just eat what I want). Two, it's just not an option for me. Zero. Nada. I don't go in the lounge or if I do, I pass it all by. Three, I allow myself one bite of something that looks particularly yummy. That probably takes the most willpower of all. And Four, I take one for later. I have lots of ziplock bags in my room so I pack it up, take it home, put in the fridge or freezer, and maybe on a different day I make a deliberate choice to eat it. Or maybe I lose interest in it and just throw it out. But the decision has to be deliberate and you have to keep to it. You might try practicing a few things (one bite rule, take for later, no option) and see if any of those help.

eta: For example, the other day, someone brought in bagels from Panera. I LOVE bagels from Panera. I ended up taking a HALF of one, no cream cheese because I simply didn't have room for that in my calories, and I just removed from my log another snack that was around the same calorie amount that I had already prelogged.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Please take this seriously and do not respond with 'just say no' - thank you, I need ideas I haven't already thought of.

I can't help but binge on 'free' food at work. I work at a school and there's ALWAYS biscuits/cake/crap going for free and sometimes when my sugar levels are low I find them too tempting.

I already bring my own snacks to work, don't take my purse so I can't eat at the canteen, and have given myself the rule 'no eating free food' but sometimes I still mindlessly eat it.

Anyone got any tips for helping me with this.

I know it sounds like I have zero will power and I probably have but I'm not joking when I say they are literally everywhere. This week alone we have been offered a free bagel or bacon cob at breakfast, had a cake bake off for teachers to try and vote AND the year teams got students to walk around with cakes for the teachers. I seriously can't win!!!

I totally feel your pain, we have free food at work constantly plus candy everywhere. There isn't really a good resolution except to keep yourself away from it and then eat the snacks you've brought from home. Bargain with yourself that if you stay away from the free food now you'll get a healthy treat or a bubble bath later. Try a piece of gum or flavored seltzer water to satisfy the craving the free food makes. I really get where you're coming from because I hate when people bring free food to work. I know theyre being nice and trying to share something but it sucks for us dieters where its already hard enough to stay on track. I'd try the tips I mentioned above as they have worked for me but you could also try having a really small piece and tracking it but if that's too hard just keep a list of why you want to lose weight in your purse and read it when you're tempted. Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    My workplace is the same. On Friday alone I saw chouquettes, Krispy Kreme doughnuts, chocolate cornflake nests, flapjack bites, cherry bakewells, Kipling French Fancies, a chocolate swiss roll, a homemade loaf cake and some mini cupcakes.

I usually avoid, but if I partake, my strategy is to break off a tiny one bite serving. This way you have to think for a moment whether the calories are worth having a second or third bite.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    A tip I once got for dealing with hotel buffets might be useful here. While eating, keep asking yourself "am I really enjoying this"? If so, continue. But don't waste calories on mediocre food just because it is freely available.
  • bethwr1
    bethwr1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love snacks. I could pull a chair up to an appetizer table and never hit the main course - sadly, I've pulled myself up to many an appetizer table AND eaten the main course. . . . So I get it.

I've been able to avoid snacks that anyone else has made and brought to the office. I convince myself that they have a dirty kitchen, animal hair everywhere, poor cooking habits, old ingredients, etc.

I've worked at the same company for 12 years, and spent 9 of those years at our headquarters where the administrative assistants regularly scheduled pot luck/snack days. I've never eaten a bite of the food - and my assistants have all noticed it. I also don't contribute to the pot lucks, making it very inappropriate to partake. . .