Ladies-what do you do for strength training?

Options
2»

Replies

• DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I get my program from Bodybuilding.com, It's free and it's easier to narrow friends down to my height and weight. I love MFP too but bodybuilding.com really improved my strength training results.
  • 5ivepeppers1
    Options
    Eccentric Training
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do my own weight lifting program. I usually change it up every 2-3 months. Basically 3x week upper body lifting, 1x lower body, 1-Squat Day, and 1-2 sessions of cardio.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Lifting is totally not gender specific but if you need to be convinced of that and want info that will prove why women wont get bulky (hint: lack of testosterone to put it in simple terms), then check out New Rules of Lifting for Women and my favourite Strong Curves.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I do my own version of this program: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I do 5x5 on the main lifts (Stronglifts) and then do accessory work using the 4 day split in the program I quoted. I love lifting heavy!
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5/3/1 right now and loving it! I do a relatively high accessory load with 6 additional lifts on each day, but it's working well for me so far. :)
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    NROLFW! Love it.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    A progressive load 4-day split program with hypertrophy for glutes, back and shoulders (accessories are sort of a combo of Date Tate periodization and Bret Contreras glute work). My program is getting ready to change a little as I enter maintenance from a bulk, but I intend to keep up the intensity as much as possible. I am going to probably do 5/3/1 on maintenance with the same accessory program. I'm going to cut a little for swimsuit season so I may do more cardio.
  • fattpantts23
    fattpantts23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used the JEFIT to make my own routines. Monday: Chest/Triceps, Tuesday: Butt, Wednesday: Back/Biceps, Friday: Legs/Shoulders, and Saturday: Abs. I have week 1 routines and week 2 routines so there is a bit of variety.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Finishing my 4th cycle of 5/3/1 today. Before that, I spent about 6 months doing more of a powerlifting style program that my lifting coach wrote. Before that, I spent 2 years training with kettlebells, which turned me into a pretty strong little ninja before I ever picked up a bar.

If you're completely new, I'd advise reading Starting Strength to learn about strength training, Strong Curves to wrap your brain around the idea of being a female lifter, and 5/3/1 or Beyond 5/3/1 just because Jim Wendler pulls no punches, and I think if you're going to be a serious lifter, you need to understand what it means when he says "expect more of yourself." I would also encourage humility, curiosity, and a willingness to be taught. Develop those, if you haven't already.

In terms of programming, start with Stronglifts or New Rules or the beginner program in Strong Curves.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I mostly do bodyweight - pushups, tricep dips, mtn climbers (because I hate planks LOL); bridges, various types of squats and lunges, sometimes w/ weights and sometimes w/ resistance bands and sometimes with just bodyweight, wall sits; the wheel, etc.

But occasionally I lift weights, play with my kettlebell, or use resistance bands. For a few weeks I was doing ChaLEAN Extreme, but I didn't enjoy it so I never completed the schedule. I do still occasionally throw in the DVD and do one of the workouts though.

I also occasionally climb a tree to have my pic taken when we're hiking. Then there is the weed eater, ax, shovel, gardening rake and hoe, mulch, dirt and fertilizer and various other things needed to keep my little hobby farm going. :wink:
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I only have dumbbells right now, I'm doing a variation of this:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Will be checking out some of the other programs listed here, thanks ladies :)
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Started strong lifts 5x5 this week. Loving it.:happy:
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy at the gym with a trainer 2x a week...upper one day with machines and dumbbells, lower the 2nd with machines...also do some body weight exercises for core. The rest of the week I may do a class like Bodypump or Shred, as well as a home routine that is less strenuous than the heavy lifting, using dumbbells and body weight.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm just lifting freeweights for the most part.

You know, like a boss.

Well, a slightly sick and weak boss.

But still pretty boss.

I'm not doing a program, but I probably should be. I just go in, decide what muscles I'm working and go from there.
    Me too! :happy: Like a boss.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I do my own program. I work one muscle group per day and alternate legs and abs.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    We have a home gym that came with a poster of three different full body workouts. I alternate between them.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 and reading NROL4W. I like the simplicity of StrongLifts but really like the variety that NROL4W offers up. Regardless, you have to find something YOU enjoy. If you don't like it you won't stick with it.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I use an app called "5 Day Bodybuilding Schedule." That's literally what it is: a 5 day schedule of exercises explained in detail, number of sets and reps, . Then, to track the weight that I use, I have another app called "Lifting Log." I can track reps, sets and rest periods.

Sort of a "Weight Lifting for Dummies" type of thing (what can I say? As a girl, weights were lifted by guys, not girls. I had no idea where to start.)
  • f1redshoes
    Options
    I'm pretty much just stepping up my gymnastics training! The muscle I already have is fairly decent and that was from dance and only dance. I very much want to stick with the dance/gym look. Also, I can't really lift thanks(!) to injury.

I can, however, lift - and dance WHILE lifting - a 100lb human, which I think is quite impressive for my size!