New and a bit confused!

Options
Hi everyone.

I just have a few questions about my weight loss issues, and also about the FitnessPal app on my phone, if anyone can help!
Firstly, I'm 26 years old, female, 5'9 in height, and weigh about 168 pounds.
I started my diet and fitness regime on 26th Feb. So a month and a bit later, I decided to weigh myself, and have discovered there is zero change in my weight. So I'm feeling pretty defeated.
I have been doing mainly weight training, and some cardio/circuit training. I do this every day for about 30 minutes depending on what I'm doing. I have also cut my calories down quite a lot. MyFitnesspal app estimated I should be eating 1460 calories a day. I am never as high as this. I average at 900-1200 a day, unless it's a weekend and I might be a little bit naughty. But even then I wouldn't say it was hugely over my calorie goal.
So my questions are this. Am I maintaining weight because I have built muscle? I have noticed my bum, arms and legs do look more muscular then when I started. How come I don't seem to be dropping anything around my tummy area? This is my real focus as I have a little pot which I HATE, and it doesn't seem any different. Maybe slightly firmer, but nothing really noticeable.
Should I be stopping the weights and opt for more cardio? Also, the app says I have lost 0lbs, but have been under my calorie goals every week. Why am I not losing weight. Very confused!
Sorry for the essay. Just feeling deflated after what feels like hard work!
Thanks in advance for any replies. xx

Replies

• jessierinhards
    Options
    I don't know a whole lot about specifics of nutrition, but I do know if I don't eat enough calories in the day the app warns me that my body could go into starvation mode. Basically, if you don't eat enough calories a day your body freaks out and starts storing more fat than it usually would. This is because your body doesn't know it's on a diet. It thinks you're running out of food and needs to store reserves for when the food runs out. That may be contributing to the lack of weight loss/tummy fat. You may want to up your calorie intake and eat less carbs. Carbs cause your body to store more fat and if you cut down on them and step up on protein and healthy fat it should help you shed the flab (think paleo diet).

The only other thing I can think of is that you are also putting on a considerable amount of muscle and muscle generally is heavier than fat. Cardio is going to be that burns the most calories and will let you see those weight loss results (especially in the tummy area).

Finally, don't worry about the number on the scale. It sounds like you've done a great job so far getting in shape and are just not targeting the areas that you want. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I have done a lot of reading about different weight loss techniques and what foods do what to your body nutritionally.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I just have a few questions about my weight loss issues, and also about the FitnessPal app on my phone, if anyone can help!
    Firstly, I'm 26 years old, female, 5'9 in height, and weigh about 168 pounds.
    I started my diet and fitness regime on 26th Feb. So a month and a bit later, I decided to weigh myself, and have discovered there is zero change in my weight. So I'm feeling pretty defeated.
    I have been doing mainly weight training, and some cardio/circuit training. I do this every day for about 30 minutes depending on what I'm doing. I have also cut my calories down quite a lot. MyFitnesspal app estimated I should be eating 1460 calories a day. I am never as high as this. I average at 900-1200 a day, unless it's a weekend and I might be a little bit naughty. But even then I wouldn't say it was hugely over my calorie goal.

A weeks worth of deficit can be undone by a weekend of binging.
    So I would strongly encourage you to get a food scale and weight and measure everything.
    So my questions are this. Am I maintaining weight because I have built muscle? I have noticed my bum, arms and legs do look more muscular then when I started. How come I don't seem to be dropping anything around my tummy area? This is my real focus as I have a little pot which I HATE, and it doesn't seem any different. Maybe slightly firmer, but nothing really noticeable.
    Should I be stopping the weights and opt for more cardio? Also, the app says I have lost 0lbs, but have been under my calorie goals every week. Why am I not losing weight. Very confused!
    Sorry for the essay. Just feeling deflated after what feels like hard work!
    Thanks in advance for any replies. xx

You can't spot reduce, the body will burn off fat/weight however it pleases, and tummy is usually the last place to let go.....very stubborn there.

I would continue weights, that is pretty much all I do.

And get my calories in check. Weigh and measure everything you put in your mouth
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You are not building new muscle on 900-1200 calories a day unless you are grossly underestimating your intake. Your muscles may be retaining some extra water to help cushion and repair them after you lift, which can cause a stall on the scale and gives the muscles a "pumped" look that many people mistake for new growth.

Double check the accuracy of your logging.

Log your cheat days.

Eat more than 900 calories.

Some good threads to get you started:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your body might be in starvation mode if you only consume 900-1200 calories per day. Women need AT LEAST 1200 calories/day just to function in a healthy way. This might explain why you aren't losing. Increase your food intake to fuel your body.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    First go here:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

find out how much you should be eating.

Never eat below your bmr.. You can't build muscle if you are eating a deficit. You will lose fat which will make your existing muscle look more defined. Your body loses fat consistently over your entire body so I would guess you have the highest percentage of fat in the tummy area like everyone else.
  • LaurenW432
    Options
    Thank you for these replies, all really helpful. I will up my calorie intake and add my foods more accurately. I've just been typing in what it is, and going with the one that seems the most likely. I have sometimes logged everything individually, but not often. Those threads were great too, thank you.
    The weekend thing is a problem. I've wondered myself if I'm totally ruining what I've achieved by going out for drinks, and then if I'm being totally honest, getting a pizza on my way home. Just a little one, but I'm now thinking this might be the problem? Can you actually ruin yourself in one night?
    Also, I've noticed everyone has these pounds/weight tracker things on their profiles. Mine says lbs lost, and then a nice shiny red 0 next to it. The app is telling me I'm under my calorie goals quite significantly each day, and it brings up the 'you are eating too few calories' message. If this is what the App is telling me, why is it not logging any weight loss? Is it based on my exercises as well or am I supposed to type in any weight loss manually?
    Sorry, I'm just a major rookie haha.
    Thanks again! x
  • szrdev
    szrdev Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The app doesn't log or calculate how much weight it "thinks" you have lost. You need to log that yourself.

Also weight isn't the best factor to go by, you should be taking measurements every couple weeks or once a month.
  • LaurenW432
    Options
    Thanks. I added it manually. I need some digital scales though, I just don't trust the ones I have. I thought I had lost nothing, but actually I may have lost two pounds. I thought I started at 12 stone, but I logged it as 12 stone 1lb when I started with this app. When I weighed this morning I was 11 stone 13 lb. But I never know with those scales!
  • ChelbyJean
    Options
    I had to diet for 6 months with regular exercise in order to see results. Your defiantly building muscle which is heavier than fat which is a good thing. Ignore the scale I try not to wight myself instead take pictures about every month so you can see your real results as apposed to the scale which can be tricky and than I'm sure you will notice the changes :)
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, you should be eating a minimum of 1200 net cals per day.
  • jzou91
    jzou91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Weight is very deceiving for women. You have to measure it month-by-month instead of day-by-day for sure. Your cycle drastically affects what weight is displayed on the scale.

A few common mistakes I see women make in regards to fitness & nutrition:

1. Not eating enough calories. This will result in quick weight loss... BUT, most of it is muscle mass/water weight. Women see this and enjoy it at first and then when nothing else changes weeks down the road they become discouraged.

2. Thinking that all mass is considered equal. You might not be losing WEIGHT, but are you losing fat? It's very possible that your weight is staying the same but you're gaining muscle mass. It's not uncommon for women to actually GAIN weight when they begin an exercise program in the first couple of weeks as the muscle mass you're gaining from "beginner gains" far exceeds the fat loss.

3. Look at your body composition, not the scale. Do you look slimmer or more fit than last month? Progress pictures help drastically with this. Take pictures from the front, side, and back.

4. Not lifting weights. Weightlifting > cardio in every way/shape/form for body composition. An hour of slow jogging is trumped by an hour of lifting weights. Not only will this help burn more fat than most cardio, but you'll gain strength and muscle.

5. LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL NOT GIVE YOU "HUGE ARMS" or any other common misconception I hear. Women have a FRACTION (I've heard 1/15th but it depends on the woman to be honest) of the testosterone men do. Testosterone is arguably the greatest anabolic(growth) hormone in the body. You can lift all the weights you want, but you will NEVER come close to a male body builder. When I say never I mean without the use of steroids or other growth hormones.

6. Lift weights, eat like a woman, and enjoy the results. Look up Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program and follow it for 6-12 months. Don't eat under 1500 kcals EVER (unless you decide you love this so much and become a physique competitor then that may change as you prep for shows). Look up TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and try to figure out exactly what yours is.
  • LainieMagoo
    LainieMagoo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE, and it seems like too many calories! I feel like that would make me gain, not loose. :ohwell:
  • LaurenW432
    Options
    Thank you for these replies. Double thanks to Jzou, very informative! I do feel as though I've lost fat. My tummy feels a little tighter, as do my legs.
    I found an online calculator and this is what my results are:
    Your BMI is: 24.5
    Your BMR is: 1557
    Your TDEE is: 2414 calories
    I'm not entirely sure what this means, or what I'm supposed to do in light of this new info? I think the TDEE is how many calories I should be eating daily, is that right? LainieMagoo, I also feel that seems a lot of calories for me to be on a diet.
    Just another question. Should I stick to my weight lifting, or do cardio until I've lost more weight? Or will I still burn fat lifting weights? Because to be honest, I enjoy weight lifting and don't really want to stop, unless it's going to hinder my weight loss. Also, how long should I be doing weights daily? If I'm at the gym, I do about 40 mins. At home I just have dumbbells and try to do 15-20 minutes. I do weights 3 or 4 times a week. 2 days I do cardio, which various between a 20-25 minute bikeride or jog, or high intensity training which I do for about 15 minutes. Is that enough or do I need to do more?
    I have a friend who tells me I should just eat clean and do cardio, forget the weights in order to lose.
    Just wondering what people's opinions/experiences are as I'm confused about which road to go down.
    Thanks!
  • dickens4fitness
    dickens4fitness Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello I am also new- I joined before but did not keep up on things. I am 48 and have gained stubborn weight . I weight 180 and I am 5'6" This is the most I have ever weighed and could use some support.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    WAAAAH! Can people please stop repeating and perpetuating the myth of "starvation mode"!

Starvation mode IS a real thing that is brought on by consuming too few calories, but it does NOT make your body store fat!! Think about it: those images of starving children in Africa, or super skinny anorexic models - they are clearly not getting enough calories but you don't see them all fat and wobbly!

Instead they are severely malnourished with protein deficiency syndromes that arise when your body starts burning protein for fuel instead of fat or carbohydrate because there is no fat or carbohydrate left in your body. The biggest source of protein in the body is the muscles, so starvation mode in its true definition is generally when the body starts burning its own muscles for energy. This has all sorts of horrible consequences for your health. It is extreme and NOT GOOD.

Eating at 1200 cals a day, or even dipping below that every once in a while is not going to put you in starvation mode, guys, and it certainly isn't going to make you fat.

That said, 1200 is generally considered the absolute minimum calorie intake for good health, and for many people it might be too low. It won't be anorexia/starving-African-child-too-low, but it may not be sustainable. Work out your TDEE, eat at a 10-20% calorie deficit, weigh and log your food and drink, exercise, quit worrying, be happy and healthy.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Thank you for these replies. Double thanks to Jzou, very informative! I do feel as though I've lost fat. My tummy feels a little tighter, as do my legs.
    I found an online calculator and this is what my results are:
    Your BMI is: 24.5
    Your BMR is: 1557
    Your TDEE is: 2414 calories
    I'm not entirely sure what this means, or what I'm supposed to do in light of this new info? I think the TDEE is how many calories I should be eating daily, is that right? LainieMagoo, I also feel that seems a lot of calories for me to be on a diet.
    Just another question. Should I stick to my weight lifting, or do cardio until I've lost more weight? Or will I still burn fat lifting weights? Because to be honest, I enjoy weight lifting and don't really want to stop, unless it's going to hinder my weight loss. Also, how long should I be doing weights daily? If I'm at the gym, I do about 40 mins. At home I just have dumbbells and try to do 15-20 minutes. I do weights 3 or 4 times a week. 2 days I do cardio, which various between a 20-25 minute bikeride or jog, or high intensity training which I do for about 15 minutes. Is that enough or do I need to do more?
    I have a friend who tells me I should just eat clean and do cardio, forget the weights in order to lose.
    Just wondering what people's opinions/experiences are as I'm confused about which road to go down.
    Thanks!

Your TDEE is your total daily energy (calorie) expenditure, i.e. this is the number of calories your body normally burns in a typical day. So to lose weight you should eat/drink around 10-20% less than this.

Weight training will not hinder your weight loss, it will make it more effective. When you "burn calories" what you are really doing is respiration. Respiration is a chemical reaction in your body that breaks down carbohydrate and fat (hopefully not protein, see above rant!) to get at the energy stored in it. This is then turned into carbon dioxide and water, which you then breathe or sweat/wee out. Little things inside your cells called mitochondria are what process this chemical reaction, and there are more of these in your muscles that anywhere else. So, the more muscle you have, the more mitochondria you have, the more respiration you can do, and the more calories you will burn when you work out.

Cardio generally burns more calories per unit of time, but doesn't do much for your muscles. So to get the best results from your workouts, you need to build muscle AND do cardio.

As for the time you should spend doing weights, I would say time probably isn't that important, it's more about the intensity. Lifting heavy and doing short reps will ultimately help you tone better than lots of reps and light weights.

ETA spelling
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 1460, eat 1460, not 900.

If you burn off 200 calories, eat 200 more.

MFP overestimates calories burnt - if MFP tells you you've burnt 200 calories, eat 100 more.

Take my word for it. I've been doing this for years...