HypoThyroidism - when is the best time to take medication

Options
I have a quick question for you if you don’t mind, i was with a new trainer last night, really sound guy (built like a **** brick house - gave me hope he might be able to transform this marshmallow I am walking around in) any who is mentioned to me that he read some articles that say that coffee (not caffeine) can interfere with thyroid medication, and not to consume an hour either side of taking it.

So of course this sent me off on a mission last night and I came across it in more than one article on the topic and to top it off my Doc did tell me to avoid the likes of green tea because they interfere with the eltroxin, so I am thinking the only common denominator is caffeine in both. But other articles said to take it on an empty stomach, basically the only thing that should be passing your lips is the eltroxin and nothing else an hour either side.

Totally off the point, which I wanted to ponder which is could I take my meds going to bed as opposed to when i get up? Dose the time of day you take it make a difference?

Replies

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's generally recommended to take it in the morning an hour before eating or drinking coffee. I honestly don't know why morning is suggested over evening aside from the higher likelihood of an empty stomach and I have come across studies that debunk the necessity of a morning dose. One of the main things is to take it on an empty stomach for absorption purposes and because so many things can interfere...not just caffeine, but other medications, antacids, etc

For me, I can't go an hour in the morning before the coffee hits my lips and I'm often tired and rushed and would be more likely to forget to take my dose, so I try to ensure I don't eat an hour before bed and I take it then. It may or may not be ideal, but that's what I do. It worked and I was stable for many years. More recently unstable for whatever reason, but I don't think it's the timing of my pill cuz that timing worked for 10+ years.

As I'm no expert and I only speak from personal experience, I have to suggest you talk it over with your doctor for your particular situation as everyone has different needs.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I have heard that too but I still take it in the morning first thing while my coffee is brewing and my toast is toasting and I sure don't wait an hour. So far, my levels are fine so I could just be that special snowflake!

Seriously, the only medicine I take is in the morning so I would never remember to take it in the evening and I need to eat fairly quickly after I get up, so while this might not be the best approach, it is working for me.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i don't think i'd be able to remember come night time. i take mine first thing in the morning, but i don't wait an hour to eat, I've read that if you don't take it for up to 4 days it shouldn't make any difference to your system, but i know from personal experience, on the odd occasion when I have forgot it, by 3pm I'm tired and flagging. For that reason, I will always take it in the morning
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was having this same problem. I couldn't wait an hour between taking my pill and eating in the morning. I'm out the door in 45 minutes. So I would put my pill in my pocket to take later, then forget, and then end up taking at the end of the day or who knows when (or ever). And my dosage kept changing every 6-8 weeks, which really concerned my doc.

So when she asked me about how I was taking the pill and I told her how much trouble I had taking it 1 hour before breakfast she said what they were really looking for with the hour recommendation was consistency. You need to absorb a consistent amount each time you take it, otherwise it's really difficult to set the dosage level.

So she said if I eat a consistent breakfast - meaning the about the same thing (not exactly the same thing), approximately the same amount of calories and generally same ratio of protein/carbs/fat (since high-fat one day vs low fat can change absorption rate) - at a consistent time after taking my medication (in my case it's 30 minutes), we could still get a well-regulated dosage. It may be a slightly higher dose than if I waited I full hour, I don't know, but since then, it's been much better. I've been on a steady dose for about 9 months now.

So, after all that rambling... I would guess if you have a consistent bedtime routine - made sure you weren't eating for a certain amount of time before taking your med - and weren't taking any other meds at bedtime (like birth control - they can't be taken together) - doesn't seem like there's any reason why you couldn't. But you still might want to check with your doc.

I think, aside from the empty stomach, the other reason for recommending morning dose is that there have been studies that show people are more consistent remembering medications in the morning.
  • Ladytulip
    Ladytulip Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I think you might be on to something there. You know I wasnt advised about any of these elements; not eating / not drinking coffee / other medications etc. I think im going to start taking it going to bed and see how I go from there.
  • Ladytulip
    Ladytulip Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey cardbucfan, I am up and I have to have my coffee and breakfast within 10 mintues otherwise Im a walking nightmare. I think i'll try taking it at night, cause I stop eating at 19:00 and go to bed about 22:30 so I should have an empty tummy and I certainly wont be looking for a coffee at that stage of the game.
  • cbhutton
    cbhutton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I take mine at night.

Edit: I also was taking my vitamins at night because they make me nauseous (thanks pregnancy!). My doc said don't do that, that can interfere too. Thankfully nausea went away.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I was told to take my thyroid med in the am a half hour before eating or drinking anything. I have been doing that for 9 years and have been very stable disease wise. Good luck.
  • soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My doc said it completely doesn't matter, and you can take it whenever as long as it's about 24 hours apart. I take mine right after my breakfast and coffee every morning, and my thyro levels have been great *shrug*

Oh, and the warning about a full glass of water - that's because the pill expands and is considered a "choking hazard" - has nothing to do with the drug itself.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to take it in the morning an hour before eating anything. However, she said if I woke up in the middle of the night I could take it (like at 5 a.m. opposed to normally taking it at 7:30).

Also, not to take it around the same time as a birth control pill because BC pills interfere with your body's ability to process the thyroid hormones.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Best time is first thing in the morning, maybe even before you get outta bed. That way by the time you're dressed and ready to go you can eat.

This is a group that I've been introduced to that might be beneficial :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Always on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, and wait 20-30 minutes before eating or drinking anything but water. If you are taking any other meds or supplements, check with your dr, you might need to take these several hours later.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    aplhabetacheesecake Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am and hit the shower- I brush my teeth before getting in the shower and take my thyroid meds with water right after I brush my teeth.

By the time i am done by shower, dressed, hair and makeup done, woke kids up, get them dressed and all down to the kitchen feed dog and cat, pack lunches, its at least 7:10- I then make my breakfast and coffee- I eat my breakfast and then drive to work with the coffee and open it around 730-745, so I feel thats a good amount of time for it to work!
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I take the thyroid meds first thing with my birth control pill. To be consistent, I do take the sugar pills too. Then I hit the shower, then I get a cup of coffee. It's usually about 20-30 minutes before I get my coffee...but a little less on weekends when I'm not showering right away. I usually do wait about an hour to eat anything else. I also wait until lunchtime to take my vitamins so that there isn't any interaction there.

My doctor said the same thing about being consistent. If you want to take your meds first thing with a cup of coffee, toast and an egg...that's fine as long as you're consistent. The meds might not absorb as well as they could so you may need a higher dose than you would if you took with no food.
  • quiltlady77
    quiltlady77 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the thyroid meds for many, many years and in the beginning there were no directions about when to take it or how. The last few years the dr has said to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and no calcium or antacids for 4 hours which sometimes is difficult. Nothing was mentioned about caffeine. I think the reason not to take it at night would be that most likely your stomach is not empty like it would be first thing in the morning. I have been stable all these years and have never had to even adjust my meds.