Best weight routine for building strength?

Options
Hi,

I have never been big on lifting weights (I mean I don't even lift bro), most of my exercise is Tennis, ju-jitsu, HIIT and sprints at the gym.

I am looking to start lifting properly - I'm eating in a deficit so I am not looking to gain muscle, but I am looking to increase my strength and ability to lift heavy.

My main focus will be squats and bench press - I am also incorporating pull ups, chin ups and dips (not that many but I am looking to build the reps).

The question is what would be the best strategy for building strength - i.e. heavier weight less reps - manageable weight more reps?

Would be really interested on everyone's view!

Thanks

Replies

• MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    The best strategy is to follow a good novice strength training program. My first real gains in the gym came when I started SL 5x5, and stopped doing my whodidntante fluff and pump program. LOL
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'll second SL 5x5 although I had lifted on and off for a few years with a very good strength trainer, I made the most gains last summer when I did SL 5x5 - I didn't start with the empty bar as they suggest bc since I had already been doing those compound lifts but I did start light and followed the program, it's simple and it works and when the weights get heavy it is taxing. I followed it until I maxed out and even after deloading then moving to 3x5 and 1x5 just couldn't continue to add weight. I continued to gain a lot of strength while still eating in a deficit
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys, I'll take a look.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The program is free on the internet, you can download the pdf at stronglifts.com there's also android and ios apps that work well and are easy to keep track of your weight, reps, set and they even have a timer for your rest breaks between sets. Also read, watch, learn, practice your form on all the exercises it's always important but especially as the load gets heavier.

Enjoy and good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In a deficit I would go for Starting strength, slightly less volume 3 working sets vs 5 than stronglifts5x5, but throw in deadlifts as another lift or instead of cleans. since recovery is compromised in a deficit, I find doing the less volume allows you to get more out of it, and easier to increase weight doing 3x5, as you will have more oomph on your 3rd set than your 5th to complete the lift, making progression a little easier.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Check out Power to the People. Simple routine, done daily for about 20 minutes each day. Made me strong like bull.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    The program is free on the internet, you can download the pdf at stronglifts.com there's also android and ios apps that work well and are easy to keep track of your weight, reps, set and they even have a timer for your rest breaks between sets. Also read, watch, learn, practice your form on all the exercises it's always important but especially as the load gets heavier.

Enjoy and good luck.

He also has free full length videos available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    SL 5x5 is great but it'd be well worth your while giving starting strength a read. I arsed about for months not getting anywhere with SL until I read it. Not knocking the programme as I continued using it after, but there's great tips on form in there and the reasoning behind doing those lifts, if that interests you.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    In a deficit I would go for Starting strength, slightly less volume 3 working sets vs 5 than stronglifts5x5, but throw in deadlifts as another lift or instead of cleans. since recovery is compromised in a deficit, I find doing the less volume allows you to get more out of it, and easier to increase weight doing 3x5, as you will have more oomph on your 3rd set than your 5th to complete the lift, making progression a little easier.

I'm off deadlift at the moment (I fear them) as due to my own (idiotic fault) I leapt straight in 5 weeks ago with some deadlifts and due to poor form pulled my flexor muscle in my lower back and am just getting back into trying weights again (idiot I know).

How close to max would you suggest on the 3rd set of 5; or would that be something I would need to do some trial an error on (for example should I be a level where the fifth lift on the third set should be a struggle)?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    SL 5x5 is great but it'd be well worth your while giving starting strength a read. I arsed about for months not getting anywhere with SL until I read it. Not knocking the programme as I continued using it after, but there's great tips on form in there and the reasoning behind doing those lifts, if that interests you.

Thanks I will give it a read.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I'm off deadlift at the moment (I fear them) as due to my own (idiotic fault) I leapt straight in 5 weeks ago with some deadlifts and due to poor form pulled my flexor muscle in my lower back and am just getting back into trying weights again (idiot I know).

How close to max would you suggest on the 3rd set of 5; or would that be something I would need to do some trial an error on (for example should I be a level where the fifth lift on the third set should be a struggle)?

You are supposed to use the same weight for all 5 sets in SL 5x5, which is why progression is slower, whereas Starting strength you only have to lift the same weight for 3x5, trust me the 4th and 5th set are hard, which means the weight you use you could probably lift for 6-9 reps in sets 1 and 2.

The program has you start with the bar, but that seems quite low if you have a base of strength. I would probably start at 50% of your estimated 1RM, and add the weight 5lbs/workout as per the program.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Just check your ego at the door with DLs. If you've not done them before start with 40kg (just enough to get big plates on for height) and work your way up and just drop the bar if you feel your spine rounding.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

You are supposed to use the same weight for all 5 sets in SL 5x5, which is why progression is slower, whereas Starting strength you only have to lift the same weight for 3x5, trust me the 4th and 5th set are hard, which means the weight you use you could probably lift for 6-9 reps in sets 1 and 2.

The program has you start with the bar, but that seems quite low if you have a base of strength. I would probably start at 50% of your estimated 1RM, and add the weight 5lbs/workout as per the program.

Deadlift is 1x5 in SL.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Just check your ego at the door with DLs. If you've not done them before start with 40kg (just enough to get big plates on for height) and work your way up and just drop the bar if you feel your spine rounding.

Sadly 5 weeks ago on my second outing with the deadlifts my ego was purchased right up on my shoulder egging me on - hence the out of action back. lol
  • 3laine75
    Options

Sadly 5 weeks ago on my second outing with the deadlifts my ego was purchased right up on my shoulder egging me on - hence the out of action back. lol

Nightmare, my brother did the same thing. Honestly, for the tips on form SS is great. Extortionate though to get the book here because it's a US one but I think the kindle version was about £8