Running - Shin Pain

Hey everyone,

I went through the c25k program and have been running 3 miles 3x a week for the last few weeks. One day I woke up to some really bad pain in the shin area. If I walk heel first I don't feel any pain but as soon as I walk on my toes it shoots pain through my leg. I tried running on it yesterday, which I realize isn't a great idea, but it was fine running until I stopped.

Are these shin splints? Is this something I can keep running through even though there is some pain or do I need to take some time off? I haven't been a runner in the past so I don't know these basic questions besides always being on the side of caution which means taking time off.

Any advice from runners would be appreciated that have had similar issues!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Shin splints never had them myself but you may find this useful. http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/shin-splints
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    I've had these too, not with running but with speed walking on different surfaces. Yeah it's probably shin splints but if you're really concerned, ask your doctor. Take a break from the long distance running and just do short jogs. Icy hot will help as well as doing squats and lungs (as my issue was more muscle weakness and not used to the constant movement). I still have issues walking on asphalt for long periods of time but at least barefoot and carpet feels good again! I hope this helps!
  • skytoads
    skytoads Posts: 79
    Thanks Fatdoob that was an extremely helpful article. It took me about 15 weeks total to build up to 3 miles so I'm not sure what would have caused the sudden shin splints since my routine has been the same everytime I run.
  • 86sarahb
    86sarahb Posts: 84 Member
    I once had the same issue!

Have you gone for a fitting for some suitable running trainers? They should put you on a treadmill to see how your feet land then will recommend which trainers will support your feet the best, most sports shops do this now. Also, you can buy insoles for your trainers that help reduce the shock on your shins from your feet hitting the ground.
  • RachelSD7
    RachelSD7 Posts: 65 Member
    I walk to work briskly 4 times a day (to and from) and developed a really painful tight pain in one or both shins. The doctor confirmed that as the pain wasn't constant, and often faded away shortly after I stopped walking, that it wasn't shin splits, but that I should invest in some better insoles, which supported my arches and cushioned impact. So far, no pain when walking! I get the same sharp pain now when I jog, so might upgrade to some running shoes! The man in the shop said to pile your money into the insoles, as no matter how cheap or expensive the shoe, the insole is the same shoddy thin piece of foam.
  • I suffered from this some years ago pretty bad. Looking back I can say it was definitely a case of doing too much too quickly.

Scale the frequency and distance and definitely wear great running shoes.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Yes, Runnersworld.com is my go-to resource for anything running. Sounds like you did things the right way when you started running. I had a different injury when I began running, but getting my gait analyzed and new shoes at a running specialty store made all the difference in the world. I overpronated terribly and wasn't aware of it. As mentioned in the article, the proper shoes are a huge factor.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Oh, I forgot. I was fitted with custom insoles also. $50 off the rack, but well worth the investment. So far they've lasted a year.
  • skytoads
    skytoads Posts: 79
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I am definitely going to look into getting some new running shoes (I have new ones but they weren't fitted specifically for me). Should I take time off until it feels better or will pushing through the pain be alright and it will go away on it's own?
  • Wifey7891
    Wifey7891 Posts: 91
    shin splints are definitely not something you can push through with. the quickest way for them to heal is to take a rest from running and high impact cardio. try working on an elliptical for a week or two and see how that helps. if you continue to train through the pain it can actually lead to minor fractures in your shin.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Having had shin splints myself (too much, too fast and not the proper shoes) I wouldn't push through the pain, shin splints if they are back enough can actually end up in hair line fractures, (not going to mention shoes as you've said you'll get them looked at)

Change you're runs to fast walks, or try jogging and if the pain starts then come back to a walk, wee bit stretching and start again, you can also look at Ruta Grav which is a homeopathic remedy which is good for shin splints (can get it as a gel or as pillules, if you get the pillules don't touch them as they are just sugar pills coated in the remedy and it'll come off on your hand).
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    I have found that incorporating weight training has completely elimiated shin splints. I run and get shin spints every now and then, they usually go away on their own., but ever since I started to get stronger legs, they have completely disappeared from my life. yippy! Not sure if that is the reason, but it sure seems to have worked for me. I think maybe I was over compensating on some of my weaker areas making me run different, thus causing strain and therefore, shin splints...... That just my observation.......
  • trivard676
    trivard676 Posts: 90 Member
    I'm currently working through some shin splint issues of my own. I probably need to get some better running shoes, but that's not exactly in the budget at the moment. I've found that working on toe-raises, even when you're 'not' suffering from shin splints has helped. Also icing the area before working out, after working out and just taking it a little bit easier on your affected leg has done wonders. It's hard to take a step back when you've accomplished so much, especially if you don't exactly see yourself as a runner (like myself) but you're not doing yourself any favours if you try to push through the pain, you can trust me on that one!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    I had shin splints in the beginning and it was awful! It was definitely caused by being too heavy and not having strong enough legs. You could trade out some running for lifting that way you give your shins a break for a few weeks as you continue to progress.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member