My innocent breakfast is guilty!

Options
I thought I was having a pretty safe breakfast - two pieces of whole wheat toast and on each a portion controlled package of butter and part of a portion controlled package of jam.

Just googled to find out the butter packets are 40 calories each and the jam packets are 50 calories each! That's adding 90 calories (if I use all the jam) to each piece of bread!

Is this a reasonable breakfast? I do it because it's available for me at work in the coffee room (for free!)

Can't get any momentum going on this diet. I need to lose at least 30 lbs. I think I may be self-sabotaging. Even the word "diet" freaks me out.
Any advice on breakfast would be welcome.

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    IMO two pieces of toast plus butter and jam, about 350 calories (off the top of my head) is a reasonable breakfast, though without protein.
    Just log it and keep logging throughout the day.

Good luck!
    Cynthia
  • CharleeCali
    CharleeCali Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    New here also - I've been going into the Recipe section and searching "breakfast" to come up with some new ideas.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I thought I was having a pretty safe breakfast - two pieces of whole wheat toast and on each a portion controlled package of butter and part of a portion controlled package of jam.

Just googled to find out the butter packets are 40 calories each and the jam packets are 50 calories each! That's adding 90 calories (if I use all the jam) to each piece of bread!

Is this a reasonable breakfast? I do it because it's available for me at work in the coffee room (for free!)

Can't get any momentum going on this diet. I need to lose at least 30 lbs. I think I may be self-sabotaging. Even the word "diet" freaks me out.

Whoah, girl!! you need some serious protein and not sugar/starch carbs + fat for breakfasts... That sets you up for an insulin spike and crash and when insulin floods your body it tells your fat cells to fill up!
    If you aren't a big eater in the morning (although you should try for more food in the AM as compared to the PM) go for a smoothie with some fresh berries, milk or greek yogourt and sneaky greens like spinach in it. Or nuke a couple of beaten eggs & spices with a bit of chopped green onion and red sweet peppers in it to eat with your 1 piece of toast (no butter in this case though), like a mini omelette. Easy & quick.
    You can check my food diary if you need some ideas. I lost 30 lbs since Mid Nov. On maintenance now the past couple of weeks.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

it's not a bad breakfast but you'd be better off replacing the butter and jam with peanut butter or an egg they have more protein
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I found bread that taste like real bread not sponges. its only 65cal per slice at trader Joe's/sprouts. I make my own jam with almost no sugar, its only 10 cal a tablespoon. I choose which I want more butter or jam and I have only one. and toast is a very small part of my breakfast. I usually add two egg whites and one whole egg, a glass of almond milk and hand full of berries. 20 grams pf protein, filling and under 300 calories :-) after you've been at this for a while you become really good at finding subs or making your own.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    calorie wise that's not a bad breakfast...although you really could use some protein to keep you going better. Maybe one slice of toast, and an egg. Not so different...but more balanced.
  • grdad
    grdad Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You could eat 1 piece of bread and a boiled egg for a lot less calories. Also, it will keep you feeling full longer.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ahh a piece of toast (no butter) with a soft boiled egg smushed all over the top, add a pinch of salt and pepper and I'm in heaven!

Kinda wish it was breakfast right now...
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    With 30 lb. to lose, set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week. Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

Whoah, girl!! you need some serious protein and not sugar/starch carbs + fat for breakfasts... That sets you up for an insulin spike and crash and when insulin floods your body it tells your fat cells to fill up!
    If you aren't a big eater in the morning (although you should try for more food in the AM as compared to the PM) go for a smoothie with some fresh berries, milk or greek yogourt and sneaky greens like spinach in it. Or nuke a couple of beaten eggs & spices with a bit of chopped green onion and red sweet peppers in it to eat with your 1 piece of toast (no butter in this case though), like a mini omelette. Easy & quick.
    You can check my food diary if you need some ideas. I lost 30 lbs since Mid Nov. On maintenance now the past couple of weeks.
    Insulin contrary to popular belief triggers satiety and not a feeding frenzy in all people like you would have the OP to believe. And butter is perfectly fine to consume.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    For neanderthin and others: Journal of Nutrition
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/05/02/jn.111.149583.full.pdf

Not a feeding frenzy, but insulin promotes the storage of fats ingested with the carbs.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    For neanderthin and others: Journal of Nutrition
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/05/02/jn.111.149583.full.pdf

Not a feeding frenzy, but insulin promotes the storage of fats ingested with the carbs.

also this quote:

"Satiety

The mechanism of hunger and satiety are not necessarily the same. There are two mechanisms for satiety. One is at the brain level, the other is at the gastrointestinal tract level. There are two places in the hypothalamus, part of the brain, that controls hunger and eating. The Ventromedial Nuclei gives a signal when to stop eating, and the Lateral hypothalamus gives a signal to start eating (e.g.,Coon 1995). We feel satiety at the brain level because of the function of the Ventromedial Nuclei. On the other hand, at the level of the gastrointestinal tract, Koopmans (1985) states that satiety signals come from the stomach, which controls short-term eating."
    http://www.csun.edu/~vcpsy00h/students/hunger.htm
    California State University, Northridge.
  • mbitely2004
    mbitely2004 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my smoothie breakfast. I make it the night before so I dont annoy everyone in the morning with the blender! great for running out the door! I do two cups of Kale Frozen strawberries, and whatever fresh fruit I have at the moment. But I dont think 350 cal for breakfast is terrible by any means. Maybe bring a jar of peanut butter to work and use that instead it might be the same calories but its more substance.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is unreasonable and no food should make you feel guilty. I'm recovering from binge eating and have had a terrible relationship with food for a few years. I allow myself what I considered to be "bad" foods in moderation and if it fits my calorie goal.

Toast with butter and jam is fine in my opinion but it may leave you feeling hungry later because it is mostly carbs.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise it looks ok. Good idea to use the packets if it stops you slathering on loads of butter and jam (as I probably would :) )

If you find it's not filling you up for long, have some peanut butter (be careful on portion size with PB!) or an egg, as others have suggested.

don't feel guilty!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Bread is not as healthy as some make it out to be - wholemeal is marginally healthier than white, so you are probably consuming 500 calories. Cereal and milk - 30g portion - around 250 calories.

Depends what you think is reasonable.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    What's the big deal? Add a couple of eggs and you've got the best of both worlds
  • guitargod2014
    guitargod2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Whilst I still have an occasional slice of bread, I have drastically reduced how much bread I eat. At breakfast time, I tend to stick to some of the better cereals & semi-skimmed milk. I find that this, when combined with an occasional banana, keeps me satisfied for longer.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Since the breakfast is free, you can use it as a base to create other breakfasts.

You can bring a jar of peanut butter to work and have peanut butter on toast. Or you can bring cinnamon in and have the butter on toast.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    Seems a perfectly reasonable breakfast to me OP