How do I work out calorie values for home made soup?

Options
I eat homemade soup for lunch most days. I don't want to use a similar soup from the database, as most of them seem to have extra sugar and salt, and/or aren't measured in grams. So how do I work out what values are in, say, 400g of carrot, cabbage and onion soup with a teaspoon of lentils in it? Do I just log each component individually?
TIA - & sorry if this is in the wrong place, just joined.

Replies

• baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe calculator on this site and then you can save it and reuse it. Its under food > recipes.
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd just add each component individually :)

That's what I do, when i do a homemade recipe
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe function too. Makes it very easy when you remake later on.
  • brewhaha20
    brewhaha20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can also log each item individually and save it as a meal. Use whatever you guess the amount in your bowl to be. This way if you use more or less of one item in a given pot you can make that change once you've logged it. The recipe method is probably more accurate for soup, but I log homemade pizza as a meal in this method because the toppings change each time depending on what is in the cupboard.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    You can also log each item individually and save it as a meal. Use whatever you have weighed the amount in your bowl to be. This way if you use more or less of one item in a given pot you can make that change once you've logged it. The recipe method is probably more accurate for soup, but I log homemade pizza as a meal in this method because the toppings change each time depending on what is in the cupboard.

Fixed that for ya. Don't guess. Weigh.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Use recipe function.

What I do is weigh/measure each ingredient before I chop/grate/add it to the pot. Once soup is cooked I transfer it to a bowl for storage and count each spoonful as 1 serving, so I end up with about 50 servings. Then when I want to eat it I just use the same spoon and count the number of spoonsful that go in my bowl, and add that number to my food diary.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Use recipe function.

What I do is weigh/measure each ingredient before I chop/grate/add it to the pot. Once soup is cooked I transfer it to a bowl for storage and count each spoonful as 1 serving, so I end up with about 50 servings. Then when I want to eat it I just use the same spoon and count the number of spoonsful that go in my bowl, and add that number to my food diary.

I do something similar - when I transfer it to the storage container, I put the container on my scale, zero it out, then add the soup - then I count each 1 gram as a serving. Just more precise is all, though with a largely vegetable soup it would make hardly a difference.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe maker and then use my 1 cup ladle to figure out amounts of servings and then pack it for a few days in Tupperware, based on how much my hubby and I plan to eat (and freeze the rest as our crockpot makes huge batches).
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    I do something similar - when I transfer it to the storage container, I put the container on my scale, zero it out, then add the soup - then I count each 1 gram as a serving. Just more precise is all, though with a largely vegetable soup it would make hardly a difference.

That would be even easier than what I do. Now why didn't I think of that?
  • sillyhorse
    Options
    Hmm, the recipe calculator doesn't seem to be working for me - hitting 'Match Ingredients' does nothing. Maybe it doesn't like Firefox.
  • BernadetteChurch
    Options
    Hmm, the recipe calculator doesn't seem to be working for me - hitting 'Match Ingredients' does nothing. Maybe it doesn't like Firefox.

Try clicking on "Enter New Recipe" in the green box on the right hand side.
  • sillyhorse
    Options
    Ah got it now. Thanks, folks! Some great suggestions.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe maker and then use my 1 cup ladle to figure out amounts of servings and then pack it for a few days in Tupperware, based on how much my hubby and I plan to eat (and freeze the rest as our crockpot makes huge batches).

THIS is what I do as well! Makes it easier because I portion out the meals and freeze them for future use!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Ditto and triple the recipe builder. Great tool!