A realization

Options
I haven't posted since I posted my intro thread almost a year ago, but I had an experience at work last night I wanted to share.

I use the gym at work. I work for a large sheriff's office, so the gym is used by police officers and corrections officers and is very well stocked. After my shift, I will change in the bathroom and then go to the gym, then go home. Last night, I changed in the bathroom into my (admittedly ugly) work out clothes. As I was walking out there were two girls in the break room, sitting and chatting. One just looked at me in my ugly work out clothes and sort of smirked and made a "what the heck?" face. For a moment, I felt very self-conscious and just wanted to melt into the floor at her obvious derision.

But then it hit me...she is about the same size as me (maybe a little smaller) and maybe my work out clothes are ugly and don't fit perfectly and maybe I look as stupid as all get out in work out clothes at all because of my size...but I am doing something about it. On my 30 minute dinner break I go to the gym and do 20 minutes of elliptical. And after work I do my strength training workout. Meanwhile she is sitting on a couch in a break room, watching TV and eating. So look at me like you think I look ridiculous, make fun of my work out because right now I can only bench press the bar with no weights and have to use the lowest setting on some machines. But at least I am DOING something.

And then, after that thought....I felt great!!

Replies

• allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Good for you! With that attitude you are definately going to reach your goals :)
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! My assumption is that she's jealous, you have the motivation to get up and do something, to change your life and she does not. While outwardly she seem like she's judging you, she's actually judging herself, making excuses to why she isn't doing what you are and that is really worth knowing because the weird looks probably wont stop, but just remember what you learned today every time you see it :) Keep being awesome and kickin' butt!
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Who cares what they think of your workout clothes! You're working out - it doesn't matter what you're wearing. People are ridiculous sometimes.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Everything about this is beautiful. You always have a leg up on everyone who is sitting on their butt NOT doing anything, regardless of their size, shape, weight, whatever.
    And in a year when you look fabulous in your gym clothes and she's gained 50 pounds, maybe then she'll realize she should have been joining you in the gym the whole time.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter. Somebody going to be so vain and care about clothing that you go to SWEAT IN is clearly not the type of person who perspectives you should really entertain.

It's your body- if you like to wear something, then wear it! You have every right to enjoy your clothes, and enjoy your precious body. :)

Three cheers for healthier lifestyles!
  • raven_ous
    raven_ous Posts: 223
    Options
    BOJShRO.gif

Good on you OP! never let anybodies unsolicited opinion or otherwise stop you from bettering yourself.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a quote, but I can't remember exactly how it goes (it's almost 2am, I really should be in bed. ha)

Something along the lines of "I may be walking slow, but I'm running circles around the ones sitting on the couch."
  • Tabbycat54
    Tabbycat54 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! I have a support group at work so I couldn't imagine going through what you went through...at least now. At my old job, unfortunately that would easily be the norm. You show her that you train like a beast to look like a beauty :D
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This is officially the best thing I've read all day. You lady, have the right attitude and will go far.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    GREAT attitude! Fark the haters.

Get some technique advice on that bench. I can assure you that you'll be able to press a lot more than just the bar :smile:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    every one is self conscious

do what ya do and FTW
  • juuniper77
    juuniper77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    good for you!!
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I say good for you and screw her. I'm glad you came to that realization!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    This is officially the best thing I've read all day. You lady, have the right attitude and will go far.

+10, great post!! I love it!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    hatersgonnahate_05d460_3317189.jpg
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You're awesome, she's a cow. I'd work out with you anytime if you lived here.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It's stories like this that truly motivate others. Be proud of yourself OP.
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Awwwww honey people should NOT laugh at Your workout clothes. This is not a beauty contest!

HUGS :)

YESSSS You ARE doing something))))
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have found some of my most motivativating moments are when people judge me incorrectly. Good for you not letting it get you down. I know my ticker says I've lost 100 pounds (and I have) but I am still over 200 pounds and overweight. But I am a fitter overweight then most not overweight people. The other night I had an experience similar to yours. I was at the gym and it was a 4 mile run day. So I hop on a treadmill and just as I'm beginning my warm up a younger and much less weight guy hops on the treadmill next to me. He looks at me, looks at my numbers (pace, incline ect) and literally smirks and snorts. He punches in his numbers and immediately starts to run. After my 2 minute warm up I bump my numbers up and begin my run....He literally turned and looked at me and you could see the doubt on his face. I bump my tunes up louder in my earplugs and keep on going. He ran for about 5 minutes and had to slow to a walk, he rested for a bit then looked at me again and would begin running...I just kept on running, cause I know I have to get to 4 miles and know also that it really isn't hard for me to run 4 miles. I just keep on trucking. This went on for my entire run. He'd have to walk then look at me and begin to run again. I just kept doing my thing. When I finally ended my run and went into my cool down I took my headphones off and he engages me in conversation. Says he's impressed. His tone was baffled. Said he didn't think I could run that long or fast. Said he has never ran non stop for as long as I did. Said he kept on trying because he figured if I could do it he should be able to. I just smiled and told him one thing. Quit comparing yourself to other people. I could have made him feel bad and tell him that not only am I overweight and can run 4 miles nonstop. But thats 3 months post back surgery, with a fused ankle waiting for an ankle replacement and after 7 surgeries in 6 years because of a motorcycle accident. But I didn't tell him all that because I don't know where he's been or what he has been through. I'd just be making assumptions, just like him. So all I told him was quit comparing yourself to others. Worry about you and where your going and where you've come from. Because at the end of the day it really is only about you.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted since I posted my intro thread almost a year ago, but I had an experience at work last night I wanted to share.

I use the gym at work. I work for a large sheriff's office, so the gym is used by police officers and corrections officers and is very well stocked. After my shift, I will change in the bathroom and then go to the gym, then go home. Last night, I changed in the bathroom into my (admittedly ugly) work out clothes. As I was walking out there were two girls in the break room, sitting and chatting. One just looked at me in my ugly work out clothes and sort of smirked and made a "what the heck?" face. For a moment, I felt very self-conscious and just wanted to melt into the floor at her obvious derision.

But then it hit me...she is about the same size as me (maybe a little smaller) and maybe my work out clothes are ugly and don't fit perfectly and maybe I look as stupid as all get out in work out clothes at all because of my size...but I am doing something about it. On my 30 minute dinner break I go to the gym and do 20 minutes of elliptical. And after work I do my strength training workout. Meanwhile she is sitting on a couch in a break room, watching TV and eating. So look at me like you think I look ridiculous, make fun of my work out because right now I can only bench press the bar with no weights and have to use the lowest setting on some machines. But at least I am DOING something.

And then, after that thought....I felt great!!

I LOVE this. I love all of this. What a fantastic attitude! Very inspiring. <3