Too much for workout?

Options
Hi
Ok this is my plan for the next month.
Currently I exercise very little, a mile or two walked a day. But I used to be fit enough to jog (I refuse to say run) and would run 5k.

I have joined a gym and this is my plan to get fit again:

Tuesday - Couch to 5k - approx. 20 mins. Plus other cardio (cross trainer/bike/rower) for 40 minutes = 60 mins total
Wednesday Couch to 5k - 20 mins. Ab class - 30 mins = 50 mins
Friday - Couch to 5k - 20 mins & Pump and sculpt-45 mins = 65 mins
Saturday Couch to 5k -20 mins. Plus other cardio (cross trainer/bike/rower) for 40 minutes = 60 mins total

A mate of mine has said its too much but I think that's doable?
Is there something wrong being in gym for that long.... I was actually thinking of including some weight training to improve muscle tone so some days might be there 80 mins.......
I never push myself in the gym and stay within my limits. So long as I do this it is fine..... isn't it?
Advice please
Thanks
x

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It's all boils down to what your body can handle but I don't think an hour a day for 4 days is too bad.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Seems fine, isn't c25k 30 min tho?
  • greytniki
    greytniki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't know where your at in regards to overall health but that doesn't look like to much to me. When I started I was almost 300 pounds. When I started going to the gym I went 5 days a week and did 45-60 minutes of cardio a day. I didn't have any problems with that at all.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Fab!
    Well that's my plan for now and I am planning for next 4 - 6 weeks and then reassess. Set different goals.
    I am thinking of going by time on cross trainer and bike, and distance for treadmill (5k obv) and rower (maybe 5k too).
    And then in 6 weeks I'll be running 5k (!) and can alter what I focus on with the other machines.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing C25k every other day and around 3x per week so that your body has time to rest. But it all comes down to how you feel before, during and after your workouts!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Oh and don't do c25k two days in a row
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    The C25K is only designed to be done 3 days a week. I know you think you can do more, but its important to trust the programme and follow it to prevent injury. Too much too fast and you risk all sorts of injuries (I can personally attest to Plantar Fasciitis :( )

I would suggest substituting a C25K/Cardio day with a strength day, and adding at least 1 other strength day.

When I first started out this was what I did

Mon, Wed, Sat - New Rules of Lifting for Women (full body, compound lifting programme)
    Tue, Thur, Sun - C25K, plus 20min Bike and 2000m Row.

That gave me Friday as a rest day.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It's a lot to start off with. I have no doubt you could build up to that. But I know if it were ME, I would crash and burn starting off at that pace. Don't be discouraged if you have to do less at first and work up to more. And make sure you rest if you need it! You don't want to injure yourself.
  • Lola2248
    Lola2248 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ok didn't know it shouldn't be done 2 days in a row.....
    And add a strength day - you mean weight training?