Calories Burned on Machine vs. MFP?

Options
I was wondering if anyone has encountered the difference in calories burned between the machine and MFP?

For example, I will do an elipitical circuit and the machine will read 180 calories burned at the end of my 20 minute segment. But, when I log the activity in MFP, the automatic calorie burn is much higher-sometimes double.

Which is more correct? Thanks, in advance!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,685 Member
    Options
    At my weight neither is accurate. According to my HRM, my typical 65 minute workout targeting a heart of 140 burns just under 500. According to the machine I burn around 750. MFP says 926. Way inflated.
  • mmmskyler
    mmmskyler Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What HRM do you use? I don't have one, and wonder if it really is worth it? The ones I see highly reviewed are quite pricey.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    At my weight neither is accurate. According to my HRM, my typical 65 minute workout targeting a heart of 140 burns just under 500. According to the machine I burn around 750. MFP says 926. Way inflated.

I second this. Although I use my body media arm band. For 30 minutes on the elliptical, MFP gives me 286, my elliptical barely gives me 200 but my armband gives me around 240 to 260 depending on the effort I put in.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,685 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, which is one of the cheapest, most basic models. Just make sure you get one with a chest strap because they ae meant to be more accurate. Or if you can borrow one for session you will know what multiplier to apply to the machine reading. If I forget my HRM I take 60% of the machine reading on the elliptical.
  • princessnuriko
    princessnuriko Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I second the FT4. You can get it off of Amazon for a pretty good price. I'll upgrade after it dies on me.
    I have a Polar FT4, which is one of the cheapest, most basic models. Just make sure you get one with a chest strap because they ae meant to be more accurate. Or if you can borrow one for session you will know what multiplier to apply to the machine reading. If I forget my HRM I take 60% of the machine reading on the elliptical.
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'd also go with the FT4, completely worth the expense
  • mmmskyler
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! That is the one I was looking at. I appreciate all of your help! Have a great weekend!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Eep, as a side note, I would trust the machine before I trust MFP until you get your hands on a HMR.
    MFP is notorious for over-estimating burns!
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think machine is more accurate, because MFP doesn't know the intensity/speed that we do. But I can use 3 different ellipticals and they'll all read that I burned bout the same
  • Celestie06
    Options
    It's weird because I have the reverse problem! The calories burned given by the machine are always much higher than the calories burned calculated by MFP ! I decided to always use the MFP estimations as I don't want to overestimate my calories expenses but it's quite confusing sometimes !
  • Mandi5Dogs
    Mandi5Dogs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. However, as I lost weight the MFP calories went down and the calories from the machines went up. I bought a Polar HRM to try and figure where I really am, it was a shock to find the HRM had me at about 200 calories less than either for an hour on the elliptical. Ugh.... I have since read an article here, that discusses the difference and the LIVESTRONG website has an article that describes the same. I now just go by the HRM, which I record in the Notes and don't worry about the machine or MFP.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    IIm guessing they both are wrong. MFP for me is always higher. But I dont really care what the number says. I eat on the higher end anyways so its all gooood!! Maybe get a hrm or something.
  • mmmskyler
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! HRM it is!
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    throne-of-lies.gif
  • kirstylewis16
    kirstylewis16 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hate my machine, I do 30mins on elliptical and 7km but machine says 80cals and mfp says high 200s. Hope I burn more than a chocolate bar or whats the point haha
  • AMNimlos
    AMNimlos Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would always err on the smaller number, that way you're not overeating calories.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Eep, as a side note, I would trust the machine before I trust MFP until you get your hands on a HMR.

Agreed, go by the machine until you get a HRM.

If the machine has a HRM monitor it will also be more accurate.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I go with the numbers on my HRM. It may show that my numbers are somewhat lower than MFP but MFP isn't strapped to my chest either. As long as I see results I'm not going to stress about it.
  • mmmskyler
    Options

I do go by the machine for now. I just ordered a HRM, so that will make a difference.

Thanks!
  • Celestie06
    Options

Yeah but what is MFP show a lower calorie burned than the machine? ^^
    I can't offered a HRM, it's too expensive for me :(