What's for breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    My go to when I am in a hurry is a multi-grain light English muffin with one wedge of light garlic and herb Laughing Cow cheese (divided between the two side of the muffin) spread like cream cheese. I top it with a low sodium, sulfite free slice of deli ham on each side. NYDP is my favorite. It's super quick, tasty and keeps me full until mid morning when I just have a quick handful of almonds.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I've been loving breakfast wraps. I use a garlic & herb wrap, two egg whites with some dried salsa seasoning (Tastefully Simple), laughing cow wedge and a slice of low fat cheese. I love cheesiness, the calories aren't too shabby and it keeps me full for a while.

I love that you use Tastefully Simple :o) I am a team manager. My seasonings allow me to add tons of flavor with low calories. Simply Salsa is one of my favorites. Spinach and Herb is also great with eggs.
  • goldfish252000
    goldfish252000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been loving breakfast wraps. I use a garlic & herb wrap, two egg whites with some dried salsa seasoning (Tastefully Simple), laughing cow wedge and a slice of low fat cheese. I love cheesiness, the calories aren't too shabby and it keeps me full for a while.

I love that you use Tastefully Simple :o) I am a team manager. My seasonings allow me to add tons of flavor with low calories. Simply Salsa is one of my favorites. Spinach and Herb is also great with eggs.

I've not used Tastefully Simple in a while, but I loved the spinach and herb seasoning....think I'll have to get in touch with a local rep and start ordering again :)
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    just this morning I tried baking an egg in 1/2 avocado. It was really good and filling! I'm definitely adding that to my routine. My typical breakfast is either an english muffin with cinnamon sugar butter spread and a piece of fruit, or oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins OR greek yogurt with berries. Sometimes I'll have a hard boiled egg or two as well with any of those. I've found the oatmeal and eggs keep me full until lunch time. I always keep my fridge stocked with at least strawberries, mangoes, oranges and kiwi. I usually eat them for breakfast or lunch.
  • Wifey7891
    Wifey7891 Posts: 91
    Options
    I just made banana pancakes yesterday and they were amazing! my staple breakfast items on work days are greek yogurt and granola or sugar free preserves/jelly, oatmeal with raisins or honey, and turkey bacon. sometimes ill have shredded wheat with milk or eggs with onions and peppers.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    English muffin with scrambled eggs. It's usually oatmeal, eggs, and toast...would love to have pancakes though ????
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Bacon, Sausage, eggs, Cheese, Fruit(s) of choice, Toast and PB

Or I make a morning protein shake, depends on time and exercise

1 cup Almond Milk
    1 Banana peeled
    1/2 cup spinach
    2-3 Tbsp Peanut Butter
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    5-6 strawberries or blackberries, or blueberries or.....you get the idea
    Mix and drink
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    For something you can make ahead and is good at home or at work I make a muesli. It's basically 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal and 1 cup milk. Add nuts, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon, or dried fruit if you like. I usually add 2 tablespoons honey, about 1/4 cup nuts, and 2 tablespoons cinnamon. Mix it all together and put in the refrigerator overnight. It's enough for 5 days breakfast. I usually add a cup of fruit flavored yogurt to the servining I'm going to eat but you could add plain yogurt and cut up fruit if you like. There is also a recipe for overnight steele cut oats with apples that you can make in the slow cooker, it also makes enough for more than one day.

If I don't have either of these on hand I will add a tablespoon of granola to my yogurt or make a parfait of yogurt, fruit, and granola.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I make a gluten free pizza for breakfast - the earlier in the day I eat my calories the easier it is to stay in maintenance while eating whatever I want. I obviously don't have to run out to work early though, lol.
    I like to eat non traditional stuff for breakfast... after all in other countries they eat the kinds of foods we save for dinner, like fish & rice with veg, etc.

QUOTE from International Journal of Obesity April 2013 study
    "Objective:

To evaluate the role of food timing in weight-loss effectiveness in a sample of 420 individuals who followed a 20-week weight-loss treatment.

Methods:

Participants (49.5% female subjects; age (mean±s.d.): 42±11 years; BMI: 31.4±5.4 kg m−2) were grouped in early eaters and late eaters, according to the timing of the main meal (lunch in this Mediterranean population). 51% of the subjects were early eaters and 49% were late eaters (lunch time before and after 1500 hours, respectively), energy intake and expenditure, appetite hormones, CLOCK genotype, sleep duration and chronotype were studied.

Results:

Late lunch eaters lost less weight and displayed a slower weight-loss rate during the 20 weeks of treatment than early eaters (P=0.002). Surprisingly, energy intake, dietary composition, estimated energy expenditure, appetite hormones and sleep duration was similar between both groups. Nevertheless, late eaters were more evening types, had less energetic breakfasts and skipped breakfast more frequently that early eaters (all; P<0.05). CLOCK rs4580704 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) associated with the timing of the main meal (P=0.015) with a higher frequency of minor allele (C) carriers among the late eaters (P=0.041). Neither sleep duration, nor CLOCK SNPs or morning/evening chronotype was independently associated with weight loss (all; P>0.05).

Conclusions:

Eating late may influence the success of weight-loss therapy. Novel therapeutic strategies should incorporate not only the caloric intake and macronutrient distribution—as is classically done—but also the timing of food."

Liana
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    My favorite go to breakfast since joining MFP is an egg taco. It's excellent with veggies added (sautéed peppers, spinach) but in the interest of saving time I usually have it plain. I cook one egg in Canola spray in a small pan, then flip it and toss a small fajita size (77 cal) Mama Lupe's flour tortilla on top, flip again to toast the tortilla, and top it with a small amount of chipotle ranch dressing. It is delicious.

Also love steel cut oats cooked in a 50/50 milk/water solution after sitting overnight...with cinnamon, vanilla, and a bit of brown sugar. 1 cup oats with 4 cups liquid cooks up nicely and serves four. Leftovers are even better. Adding dried fruit like craisins and/or nuts makes it awesome.

Veggie omelet topped with salsa or green tomato relish...so good.

A slice of toast topped with a small layer of Nutkao or Nutella and 1/2 sliced banana.

Sandwich Skinny (thins) breakfast sandwich made with a cooked egg, veggie sausage, and some shredded cheddar. Higher calorie than my usual breakfast but it is great for active weekend days.

Fruit, boiled egg and toast...simple but delicious.

I've tried a lot of different refrigerator oats recipes but most of them tasted like bland paste to me, especially if you added extra liquid (almond milk etc) so the one my husband and I like best is this, refrigerated overnight:

5 oz plain unsweetened Greek yogurt
    1/3 cup fresh or thawed frozen fruit (favorites include fresh pineapple or strawberries, frozen peaches, blueberries or cherries)
    1/8 cup quick oats
    1/4 tbsp ground flaxseed (helps improve the texture)

We sometimes sprinkle a small amount of nuts on top (usually 1/2-1 tbsp. chopped walnuts), mix and eat. So tasty!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had some vanilla Greek yogurt with granola and two frozen waffles with ricotta, honey and strawberries (and a tiny bit of sugar).
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I frequently have to eat breakfast on the go... so I do a lot of breakfast bars. they have an oatmeal peanut butter soft bake I like and a sweet and salty peanut one...
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I've been eating vanilla Greek yogurt with a little fig butter mixed in lately. Sometimes I cut up fruit and add it in, or top it with some sesame-crusted almonds.
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This morning I had:
    - 4 cups of Raisin Bran cereal
    - 4 slices of Orowheat multigrain buttertop bread
  • brizzeem
    brizzeem Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes greek yogurt topped with granola and fruit if you want is a solid choice. I get lost looking at the great granola selections in stores now so I've been trying a few (curently have bear naked brand which has multiple flavors). Just like a smoothie you can add or subtract ingridients based on the macs you want to hit. I even add protein powder and spices to it like pumpkin spice or cinnamin or those pudding mixes will work as well.

Another breakfast item i like is protein waffles topped with fruit and agave. very versitle too.

Someone previously mentioned muesli and I've seen it in other posts. I saw some in the store and had that for breakfast this morning (bob's red mill old country style which has grains and nuts and raisins in it very tasty). Worth trying to change things up a bit.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    almost always steel cut oats with chia seeds,wheat germ and cinnamon. egg whites with red bell pepper and onion and hot sauce and almond milk and fruit ..othewise a protein shake with frozen berries and almond milk
  • goldfish252000
    Options
    I make a gluten free pizza for breakfast - the earlier in the day I eat my calories the easier it is to stay in maintenance while eating whatever I want. I obviously don't have to run out to work early though, lol.
    I like to eat non traditional stuff for breakfast... after all in other countries they eat the kinds of foods we save for dinner, like fish & rice with veg, etc.

QUOTE from International Journal of Obesity April 2013 study
    "Objective:

To evaluate the role of food timing in weight-loss effectiveness in a sample of 420 individuals who followed a 20-week weight-loss treatment.

Methods:

Participants (49.5% female subjects; age (mean±s.d.): 42±11 years; BMI: 31.4±5.4 kg m−2) were grouped in early eaters and late eaters, according to the timing of the main meal (lunch in this Mediterranean population). 51% of the subjects were early eaters and 49% were late eaters (lunch time before and after 1500 hours, respectively), energy intake and expenditure, appetite hormones, CLOCK genotype, sleep duration and chronotype were studied.

Results:

Late lunch eaters lost less weight and displayed a slower weight-loss rate during the 20 weeks of treatment than early eaters (P=0.002). Surprisingly, energy intake, dietary composition, estimated energy expenditure, appetite hormones and sleep duration was similar between both groups. Nevertheless, late eaters were more evening types, had less energetic breakfasts and skipped breakfast more frequently that early eaters (all; P<0.05). CLOCK rs4580704 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) associated with the timing of the main meal (P=0.015) with a higher frequency of minor allele (C) carriers among the late eaters (P=0.041). Neither sleep duration, nor CLOCK SNPs or morning/evening chronotype was independently associated with weight loss (all; P>0.05).

Conclusions:

Eating late may influence the success of weight-loss therapy. Novel therapeutic strategies should incorporate not only the caloric intake and macronutrient distribution—as is classically done—but also the timing of food."

Liana

This is REALLY interesting....thank you for sharing!
  • maof3js
    maof3js Posts: 1
    Options
    My favorite and easy breakfast ins non fat cottage cheese with blueberries and strawberries. Quick, yummy, low cal and lasts till lunch.
  • goldfish252000
    Options
    checking back....