Healthy diet making me constipated?

Options
Before I never used to eat fruits and vegetables. I would generally eat fatty foods. Chinese or Indian Takeout twice a week, wraps, tuna sandwiches (with mayo), all-day breakfast with feta and guacamole, and goodies like cookies and I didn't get constipated. I was 5'6 and 140 lbs.

Now I'm 5'6 and 135 and always mildly constipated. I checked and I'm averaging 25-30 grams per day. I eat whole wheat bread, berries, carrots, beans, oranges. I'm allergic to raw apples, pears etc, but most fruit I'm OK with. I've taking out fried food and sweets. I also drink about 3 l of water per day.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Grease makes you poop at least I think so, I have no nutrition degree.

Are you meeting your fiber goals? This will help ... trust me!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

This ^

Coffee is a good short term fix :)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat in your current diet?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Actually, just fat in general will do that.

OP, fat is GOOD for you. You've discovered one of it's many uses: regular bowel movements. What's wrong with feta or guacamole? Add some fats back in, make sure your water's good and you'll be good to go.

Fiber is only one part of the poop equation.
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I already drink 2 cups a day and have pretty much every day since I was 13. Coffee no longer has much of an effect. This has been going on for 4 weeks. I take taken laxative twice (once every two weeks) and fibre gummies occasionally
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Coffee, probiotics, complex fiber supplements. I use Barndad Nutrition products (green coffee with probiotics and UltraFiber DX) www.barndadnutrition.com. The company is Kurt Angle's, so you know the products are damned good.

It will clean you out first, then make you really regular without the gas/bloating/cramping associated with most fiber supplements. And I can make some really delicious healthy snacks with the fiber powder too!
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have IBS but I notice when I eat crappy, well....I crap.

When I eat better foods, including raw fruits and vegetables, I have mild constipation. You are getting more fiber in your diet but you have to make sure you introduce it slowly. Introducing too much fiber at once will make you feel constipated/bloated as well.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I had/have the same problem but mine is also partly from meds. i tried to up fiber and water, but didn't help at all. I talked to my doctor and he advised probiotics (I don't like yogurt much, but take a capsule each day) and a stool softener (without a stimulant/laxative). I'm taking Colace (3 capsules a day and it helps). I asked him how long I could take it and he said as long as I want. As long as it is just a stool softener it wouldn't hurt me.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Water. And try to get a bit more fiber.

I can tell when I haven't had enough water for a couple of days. Things really stop moving along.

And I find, for me, fruits where you eat the seeds (like strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc.) seem to help get things moving too.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Lots of water is critical, I also take a non flavored fiber in my 1st cup of coffee every day. When I get really stopped up a good greasy meal gets things lubricated (LOL). :laugh:
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Eat some brussel sprouts or broccoli. You'll be poopin in no time
  • jessicameadsstephens
    jessicameadsstephens Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I added Orange Essense Prunes to my diet 2-3x a week and it has helped greatly. 1 serving is 5 prunes....100 calories.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

Actually, just fat in general will do that.

OP, fat is GOOD for you. You've discovered one of it's many uses: regular bowel movements. What's wrong with feta or guacamole? Add some fats back in, make sure your water's good and you'll be good to go.

Fiber is only one part of the poop equation.

Good to know! I love feta!
  • lilymae71
    lilymae71 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Natural Calm (brand) Magnesium is a wonder-supplement for this. It's pricey but particularly if you're not going to use it everyday (though it would be good for all of us to take everyday, as magnesium is often low in most of us), it'll be more cost-effective.

I get about 50g of fat a day (which as others have pointed out, is good for you in several ways, including elimination or 'pooping'). I have Celiac so I gave up most grains and that's a life-saver but I get most Americans don't understand how that works. In the meantime, that Natural Calm is great and start low dose/serving (read the package) because it's going to work well.

EDIT: when I talk about 50g of fat, that's natural animal fat & coconut oil for cooking/ regular foods or EVOO/pistachio/walnut/hazelnut as dressings
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats for sure - avocado, olives, nuts, etc.

And exercise helps keep things regular!
  • intrepidelephant
    Options
    I traversed Iceland and never had bowel problems, ate tons of fiber and butter on EVERYTHING, but I was also eating 3500 calories a day and walking with a 40 lb pack 9 hours a day. I'm pretty sure I don't have IBS if that bread and granola intensive diet didn't do me in.

In ordinary life, I don't usually put butter on anything. The only fat I eat is from really from fast food, which I cut out for health and budget reasons. i never ever cook, mostly because I hate my roommate and avoid seeing him.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I already drink 2 cups a day and have pretty much every day since I was 13. Coffee no longer has much of an effect. This has been going on for 4 weeks. I take taken laxative twice (once every two weeks) and fibre gummies occasionally

You're taking laxatives? Your body may have started to rely on them. Up your water and your plant-based fiber. Your body has to re-learn how to process whole foods. Do not take any laxatives. At most, a stool softener if you go a month or two and your body still hasn't adjusted.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I traversed Iceland and never had bowel problems, ate tons of fiber and butter on EVERYTHING, but I was also eating 3500 calories a day and walking with a 40 lb pack 9 hours a day. In ordinary life, I don't usually put butter on anything. The only fat I eat is from really from fast food, which I cut out for health and budget reasons

So... add in some fat. It's vital for bowel movements, skin and hair health, etc. Fat isn't bad. You mentioned guacamole; avocados are amazing and a great source of fat.

Definitely do this before getting yourself addicted to laxatives, which can legitimately mess up your movements.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you getting?
  • intrepidelephant
    Options
    Don't know. the only fatty things I eat are milk (1%), cheese, peanut butter, and whatever deli meats. I also eat tuna from a can for protein since I don't cook. I have hamburger once a week with my grandpa since he cooks for me.

My mother is from the Middle East, so we never had a lot of fat in our diet. I can't even eat McDonald's. It gives me running diarrhea...