Winner of "The Biggest Loser" gains 20 lbs.

Options
13»

Replies

• Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    so does anyone know where she got that dress from?
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sooo, how do they know she gained 20 lbs.? Or she told the press herself?

Either way, she looks much better...and love that dress.

Yeah...she does look better. But she must carry weight well because it doesn't look like a 20 lb gain to me!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Yeah...she does look better. But she must carry weight well because it doesn't look like a 20 lb gain to me!

Like Bostonwolf mentioned above, she probably dropped water weight for the weigh in. Its pretty common to do, bodybuilders do it all the time. Its not really hard to drop up to 10lbs in water weight. More if you want to take direutics (not recommending, just stating a fact).
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    for a quarter of a million dollars i'll diet down to an unhealthy weight too and not give a damn what other people think of how i look. LIES. i don't a bunch of cash to stop giving a damn what other people think. i do that now for free.

Well then I won't tell you how good looking I think you are! :smile:
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Stop looking for other people to be a scapegoat for your problems.

She did it to win, she's healthier now. End of story.

Is she healthier now? I doubt it.

The extreme weight loss was not just fat..it was a large amount of muscle too...

Chances are the weight she gained was fat tho...again how is that heathier.

she's healthier because now she can afford to pay her health insurance premiums

lol'd
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OMG. This topic is so ridiculous. When Christian Bale went down to like 130 lbs at like 6'1" for his role in "The Machinist" not a soul was criticizing him for being a poor role model nor was anyone worrying about his health. In fact he was overwhelmingly praised for his "commitment to his craft". And he was at a WAY more unhealthy weight/condition than this girl. (google what he looked like) When a figure competitor steps on stage (especially natural) they are at lower body fat % with SLIGHTLY more muscle mass than Rachel was at the finale. All just to try and win a cheap plastic trophy. And no one says ANYTHING about them being "unhealthy". They are doing everything in their power, overtraining and starving themselves to step on stage for 1 moment to try and win a contest. Most bodybuilders/figure/physique competitiors I guarantee you do this in WAY more unhealthy ways than Rachel did. (especially with the drugs) Love or hate the show, it's about trying to lose the most scale weight as possible in a given amount of time. Biggest reason I dislike it. Real life doesn't allow you to work out 6 hours per day with personal trainers and professional sports medicine staff and dieticians, etc. This show sets contestants up for long term failure by not addressing root cause issues and training these individuals how to lose weight and get fit in a healthy realistic manner in the real world. That's why almost all the former contestants are fat again. But this chick is a competitor, she entered a competition, and she won fame and fortune, which is exactly what she wanted to acheive for herself. I call that success.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    What I would love to see would be a show that followed the progress of people throughout a year and didn't make them feel like crap if they don't lose weight for every weigh in. Yknow, a show that would actually make viewers realise that it is do-able and can be done in a healthy way. I don't think many people have been inspired to lose weight in a healthy and manageable way after watching Biggest Loser.

But I guess that wouldn't have the entertainment factor that networks love....

There is a show like that! I've only watched it once, so I'm not sure if all the episodes are as good as the one I saw. It was called Extreme Weight Loss (I think, I caught it on demand on ATT&T Uverse). It followed someone for a year, and they met with the trainer/coach quarterly to set new goals and check progress. The woman on the episode I watched lost 115lbs through exercise and eating better. She had her ups and downs like almost everyone does, and it also took the time to address some of her emotional hangups with food as well.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    for a quarter of a million dollars i'll diet down to an unhealthy weight too and not give a damn what other people think of how i look. LIES. i don't a bunch of cash to stop giving a damn what other people think. i do that now for free.

This
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    OMG. This topic is so ridiculous. When Christian Bale went down to like 130 lbs at like 6'1" for his role in "The Machinist" not a soul was criticizing him for being a poor role model nor was anyone worrying about his health. In fact he was overwhelmingly praised for his "commitment to his craft". And he was at a WAY more unhealthy weight/condition than this girl. (google what he looked like) When a figure competitor steps on stage (especially natural) they are at lower body fat % with SLIGHTLY more muscle mass than Rachel was at the finale. All just to try and win a cheap plastic trophy. And no one says ANYTHING about them being "unhealthy". They are doing everything in their power, overtraining and starving themselves to step on stage for 1 moment to try and win a contest. Most bodybuilders/figure/physique competitiors I guarantee you do this in WAY more unhealthy ways than Rachel did. (especially with the drugs) Love or hate the show, it's about trying to lose the most scale weight as possible in a given amount of time. Biggest reason I dislike it. Real life doesn't allow you to work out 6 hours per day with personal trainers and professional sports medicine staff and dieticians, etc. This show sets contestants up for long term failure by not addressing root cause issues and training these individuals how to lose weight and get fit in a healthy realistic manner in the real world. That's why almost all the former contestants are fat again. But this chick is a competitor, she entered a competition, and she won fame and fortune, which is exactly what she wanted to acheive for herself. I call that success.

Wow! I love Christian Bale, but I hadn't seen the Machinist yet.

Just googled it. I feel sick for him... I'm not sure I can watch that movie now.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The first season winner gained back more than he originally had on him.

That show does not teach sustainable lifelong health habits, they are all about rapid weight loss. The segments of the show where they teach the contestants what they should be eating are filled with product placement, not healthy food. They should be teaching those people how to garden!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the show. It's actually one of the reasons I started changing my life and eating habits... calories in v. calories out. (That was the ONLY thing I really took away from it though!)

She looks much better in a health weight range. Good for her.
  • cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the show. It's actually one of the reasons I started changing my life and eating habits... calories in v. calories out. (That was the ONLY thing I really took away from it though!)

In total I think I've seen maybe 30 minutes of The Biggest Loser. I don't watch the show so I can't say I hate it.

I'm not so much inspired by the weight loss but instead find more motivation in the contestant's stories pre-final challenge (or whatever they call it). Many contestants were probably much healthier/skinnier/fitter in their younger years and then life took its toll for whatever reason. They never imagined they'd find themselves in the physical condition they're in and a lot of viewers are probably in the same boat. In fact, that can probably be said for a lot of MFPers, too.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options

In total I think I've seen maybe 30 minutes of The Biggest Loser. I don't watch the show so I can't say I hate it.

I'm not so much inspired by the weight loss but instead find more motivation in the contestant's stories pre-final challenge (or whatever they call it). Many contestants were probably much healthier/skinnier/fitter in their younger years and then life took its toll for whatever reason. They never imagined they'd find themselves in the physical condition they're in and a lot of viewers are probably in the same boat. In fact, that can probably be said for a lot of MFPers, too.

I actually watch the show. (Let the judgment begin! :laugh: )

I do find it interesting and somewhat relatable. I do have to remind myself that the weight loss they see is controlled and somewhat skewed due to their practices so I don't get disappointed that my scale doesn't show -6 pounds a week when I work my *kitten* off. But they have made me angry a few times. I do remember that one time they had a challenge that punished the contestants for wrong answers by eating junk food. I wrote a letter to NBC because of that one and maybe I wasn't the only one because they've never done it again that I've seen.

Maybe I need to reevaluate watching it. But I have learned things about healthy eating from their quizzes and challenges. And it does inspire me to work out harder when I see people larger than me running with Jillian playing piggy back. So good and bad?
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Someone is 5 pounds underweight and people say she looks disgusting.

Someone is 50 pounds overweight and people praise them for being so beautiful and brave.

The double standard is infuriating.

^^^
    So completely true!

Maybe it's time people learn that other people's opinions mean squat; the only opinion that really matters is your own.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Someone is 5 pounds underweight and people say she looks disgusting.

Someone is 50 pounds overweight and people praise them for being so beautiful and brave.

The double standard is infuriating.

^^^
    So completely true!

Maybe it's time people learn that other people's opinions mean squat; the only opinion that really matters is your own.

Does that really happen though? I mean, the main image of beauty we see are models who are often very thin to start off with. People usually get applauded for weight loss.

I think folks normally need to get waaaay more than 5lbs underweight to the point of looking gaunt before people start getting critical and worried they may not be eating enough.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options

Like Bostonwolf mentioned above, she probably dropped water weight for the weigh in. Its pretty common to do, bodybuilders do it all the time. Its not really hard to drop up to 10lbs in water weight. More if you want to take direutics (not recommending, just stating a fact).

Also, this is going to sound really really dumb but water fasting 2-3 days, cutting out all carbs except trace amounts from tilapia/chicken breast and egg whites, laxative teas, sauna, etc...definitely doable.
  • sarab99
    sarab99 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    And that is why when I caught my 14 year old daughter watching the show one night ( I think someone had just barfed exercising), I banned it in the house. I hate "reality" shows anyway. Not too much less reality based than those, but someone must be watching them, because everytime you turn on the tv there's another one.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    And that is why when I caught my 14 year old daughter watching the show one night ( I think someone had just barfed exercising), I banned it in the house. I hate "reality" shows anyway. Not too much less reality based than those, but someone must be watching them, because everytime you turn on the tv there's another one.

^yup

And this show is so stupid. I remember bob or jillian recommending contestants to chew extra gum when hungry (a couple seasons ago when I actually watched it). I'm not sure if it was bc they were trying to promote the company (like that turkey brand they kept using obnoxiously) but chewing gum excessively sounds really really dumb. Hunger is hunger. Even for "cravings" there are healthy, wholesome options over a sugar alcohol laden stick of processed gum.
  • Allisonfitness99
    Allisonfitness99 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think she's a beautiful woman! I'm happy she lost the weight she wanted and won! But I'm ever happier at the fact after she played the game she got her self even more healthy! Good for her!!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Does anyone happen to have her email address? I have $17.5 million I need to get out of my home country.... Kazinaslothinstan.... and I think she's the perfect person to help me.