Running your first Mud Run this year?

Options

Replies

• leviclampitt
    Options

I wish it was only that .... MCL is mostly scar tissue, ACL and PCL are very lax but no scar tissue, couple small meniscal tears, petallar femoral syndrome, and osteoarthritis from all the trauma I've sustained to it.

Eeeeeeeeee :(
  • franceslynn
    franceslynn Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    - What race(s) are you running?
    Tough Mudder

- What are your concerns?
    Just lasting through the distance and maintaining the cardio bit

- And what are you doing for training?
    Running hills, HIIT, weight circuits, lots and lots of cardio with inclines
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    - What race(s) are you running?
    Tough Mudder

- What are your concerns?
    Just lasting through the distance and maintaining the cardio bit

- And what are you doing for training?
    Running hills, HIIT, weight circuits, lots and lots of cardio with inclines

I am digging the conditioning, but don't neglect the strength aspect.

Building the horsepower (i.e lower reps of squat, deadlift, and unilateral leg exercises like lunges, split squats, 1 leg deadlift, and step ups) sets the stage for being able to "last" for long runs (especially hills).
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am! I'm running Mud Factor on May 17th and I keep thinking I've lost my mind!

Don't worry, you'll find it on the course. :)

Awesome, thanks! At this point I think my biggest concern is actually the mud because it sort of hit me later that I'd get dirty, lol.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm running in the Warrior Dash May 31st, Tough Mudder on June 1st and Run For Your Lives (zombie run) Oct 18th, all in Massachusetts. I'm borderline addicted. Or maybe I do it for the free beer at the end.

The beer is definitely a large part of it for me as well, haha.

PS - I believe "Run For Yours Lives" was disbanded (and only runs in asia now). Am I mistaken?

Run For Your Lives is being continued by the group that puts on The Zombie Run. They have added it as another level of difficulty in their series. They also have a Black Ops race that is at night.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I run a couple miles a few times a week. I did a 5k in March. I am doing a 5k this Saturday and I am doing a 5k the begining of June. My backyard is a steep hill... I am going to start practicing running up and down it - probably next week. (I've been waiting for weather to improve - but time is up, I need to get going). I am not particularly concerned about the distance (It is supposed to be about 4 miles - that's the easy part).

I have really been focusing on counting calories. I figure every single little pound I lose between now and then is one less pound I have to hoist up over those obstacles.

Your definitely right about leaning out. Less excess weight here (the bad kind), the easier it will be.

As far as that hill, many things you can do with it:

- put weight in backpack and run up it (or carry it in front of you)
    - get a 2x4 and run with it up the hill (awkward = hard = more calories burned)
    - farmers walk up the hill (2 weights at side). This will really work your glutes.
    - pulling a sled
    - the list goes on...

Thank you!! Now I can put those 2x4's that have been laying around to use!! (No - not being sarcastic) I have a 5 year old son. He's about 45 lbs. I was thinking he might enjoy some piggy backs up our backyard, too. I can train AND spend time with him.
  • leviclampitt
    Options

Run For Your Lives is being continued by the group that puts on The Zombie Run. They have added it as another level of difficulty in their series. They also have a Black Ops race that is at night.

That Black Ops race actually sounds very appealing.
  • erinbeth85
    Options
    My fiance and I are doing our third Warrior Dash at the end of May (we actually got engaged at the end of last year's Warrior Dash, while we were both completely caked with mud... it was epic!). I'm doing 2-3 runs a week (trying to build distance) and strength training 2-3 times a week. There was one obstacle that I skipped both previous runs (scaling the dreaded wall!), so my goal is to maybe actually do it this year!
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    There was one obstacle that I skipped both previous runs (scaling the dreaded wall!), so my goal is to maybe actually do it this year!

This may help with that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiTZ57xfr5Q
  • Jersey_GirlSpins
    Jersey_GirlSpins Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was just invited to do a Muckfest in June. It's a 5k. I have NO CLUE what I'm doing, lol!

Right now, I'm just doing cardio 6 days a week for an hour to 90 mins, mostly spinning. I did run this week once and was able to run 5 slow miles. I also do Pilates. I'm going to add weight training starting this weekend.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    I was just invited to do a Muckfest in June. It's a 5k. I have NO CLUE what I'm doing, lol!

Right now, I'm just doing cardio 6 days a week for an hour to 90 mins, mostly spinning. I did run this week once and was able to run 5 slow miles. I also do Pilates. I'm going to add weight training starting this weekend.

The transitions (i.e going from running to an obstacle back to running) is the hardest part of these races and really bumps your heart rate up a few notches.

The best way to prepare for this is what you are adding in: weight training. :)
  • Milkingmommy
    Milkingmommy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Doing the Warrior Dash in MN this July. It's our first mud run. We did a couple of Color Runs last year and I am signed up for a few other 5K's in my area within the next month or two.

As far as what we are doing...we are trying to build up our strength. My daughters and I go to the gym every day. M-W-F we lift weights and work on strengthening exercises for core and arms which are woefully weak. T-Th-Sat we use the treadmill, elliptical or bike. We can all run a 5K, so are much more concerned with increasing our strength so as to tackle the obstacles.

Right now we are not too confident that we'll be able to do it, but are giving it the old college try. I am more than a bit nervous and wonder whatever possessed me to do this...but there's no going back now. :)
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Doing the Warrior Dash in MN this July. It's our first mud run. We did a couple of Color Runs last year and I am signed up for a few other 5K's in my area within the next month or two.

As far as what we are doing...we are trying to build up our strength. My daughters and I go to the gym every day. M-W-F we lift weights and work on strengthening exercises for core and arms which are woefully weak. T-Th-Sat we use the treadmill, elliptical or bike. We can all run a 5K, so are much more concerned with increasing our strength so as to tackle the obstacles.

Right now we are not too confident that we'll be able to do it, but are giving it the old college try. I am more than a bit nervous and wonder whatever possessed me to do this...but there's no going back now. :)

Warrior Dash is one of the more gentle courses. Sounds like you got a good plan going but make sure you throw in some grip work (like hanging from a pullup bar for time). You'll need it. :)
  • Milkingmommy
    Milkingmommy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we started doing that this week. Didn't know it would help. We were just curious to see if we could actually do it. Thanks a lot!!!! The advice you've given to all the other members has been a great help and encouragement for us!!!!
  • MyzGina
    MyzGina Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Doiny first on the 26. Definitely not RUNNING. That's not really my goal. I want the challenge of the course. I just want to complete it. And have fun.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Yeah, we started doing that this week. Didn't know it would help. We were just curious to see if we could actually do it. Thanks a lot!!!! The advice you've given to all the other members has been a great help and encouragement for us!!!!

Thanks! :)
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Doiny first on the 26. Definitely not RUNNING. That's not really my goal. I want the challenge of the course. I just want to complete it. And have fun.

Nice - me too!

One word of advice: If you're not running, try to get some long (~ 1 hour) walks in. When these get easy, walk faster, add some elevation (hills), or use some added resistance (a weighted pack).

These will go a long way in adding to your "aerobic capacity" and allowing you to calm your breathing after the obstacles on race day.
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Probably the greatest variable that no one has asked about yet: HOW DO WE MENTALLY PREPARE FOR MUD RUNS?

This is how: http://www.mudrunprep.com/mindset/
  • gallen2O
    gallen2O Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    aghhh man i've been wanting to do one of these for the past months...only because i like mud and getting dirty and because it looks so FUN!!!! there is one coming near me in September, it's just a 5k mud run with boot camp type obstacles.....i dont have anyone do it with so im probably not going to do it :( but it looks so fun!!!!!!! aghhh
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    aghhh man i've been wanting to do one of these for the past months...only because i like mud and getting dirty and because it looks so FUN!!!! there is one coming near me in September, it's just a 5k mud run with boot camp type obstacles.....i dont have anyone do it with so im probably not going to do it :( but it looks so fun!!!!!!! aghhh

Do IT! Aim for an earlyish wave if you're confident on the obstacles so there is more people coming through to help.
    I haven't done a single Mud Run yet, where people weren't willing to help others, whether they know them or not.
    Go have fun! :D