Healthy diet making me constipated?

Options

Replies

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Lots of water is critical,

Very very true. You digestive track NEEDS water to help eliminate. If you're at all dehydrated for long periods of time it can cause constipation.

Are you drinking enough?

Also agree on the fats. There are lots of HEALTHY fats like avacados, nuts, etc.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't know. the only fatty things I eat are milk (1%), cheese, peanut butter, and whatever deli meats. I also eat tuna from a can for protein since I don't cook. I have hamburger once a week with my grandpa since he cooks for me

Are you not tracking on here? If you know how many grams of fiber, you should know for fat. In general, 1% milk and deli meats aren't very high in fat, at all. Hamburger can often be made from leaner beef, as well. Peanut butter's a good one, but you're clearly not compensating enough fat with your constipation.

To be noted, cheese can go different ways. Cheese can lead to constipation for some, and quite the opposite for others. It's definitely a balance, but does provide fats. It depends on soft vs. hard, as well.

You mentioned success with butter. Higher fat dairy, butter, olive oil, etc. are some good sources for additional fat.

ETA to your edit:
    My mother is from the Middle East, so we never had a lot of fat in our diet. I can't even eat McDonald's. It gives me running diarrhea...

Uh, not a lot of fat? No olive oil or tahini?
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Getting plenty of liquids is your best bet for beating this problem long term. Miralax for the short term.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Don't know. the only fatty things I eat are milk (1%), cheese, peanut butter, and whatever deli meats. I also eat tuna from a can for protein since I don't cook. I have hamburger once a week with my grandpa since he cooks for me

Are you not tracking on here? If you know how many grams of fiber, you should know for fat. In general, 1% milk and deli meats aren't very high in fat, at all. Hamburger can often be made from leaner beef, as well. Peanut butter's a good one, but you're clearly not compensating enough fat with your constipation.

To be noted, cheese can go different ways. Cheese can lead to constipation for some, and quite the opposite for others. It's definitely a balance, but does provide fats. It depends on soft vs. hard, as well.

You mentioned success with butter. Higher fat dairy, butter, olive oil, etc. are some good sources for additional fat.

ETA to your edit:
    My mother is from the Middle East, so we never had a lot of fat in our diet. I can't even eat McDonald's. It gives me running diarrhea...

Uh, not a lot of fat? No olive oil or tahini?

To add to this, you should be getting a minimum of 47 grams of fat.
  • s_dash
    s_dash Posts: 6
    Options
    Eating TOO much fiber can also cause constipation.

Read here: http://www.dietaryfiberdigest.com/can-too-much-fiber-cause-constipation/
    And here: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/6-health-risks-of-eating-too-much-fiber.html

Interesting fact about fiber, for most animals in the wild fiber rich foods aren't really considered "healthy", they're actually considered low quality fall back foods and make up the greater portion of that animals diet. We've manipulated our world so much that we're able to intake excessive amounts of fat and protein, which are rare in wild environments, such that we have to force ourselves to eat enough fiber to regulate our digestive system. Kind of funny in a way.

So, double check that you're not eating too much fiber. Definitely double check your fat portions, as a proper intake of fat is also important to a healthy digestive system. And if you're working out, on top of changing your diet, you might still not be getting enough water. There are hydration calculators available online.

Here's one: http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

Not sure how accurate they are though. Good luck with the poo problem!
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 large coffee in the morning, 1 large coffee at lunch, large herbal tea when I get home, large herbal tea before I go to bed, 500 ml of water in the morning, and 1000 ml of water in the afternoon. Large is in the 300 ml mug
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    If you are logging your foods, then go over your diary and see where your fat has been at for the last month. If you have been too low, for the next 2-3 weeks try hitting as close to the max of your macro on fat each day. You can add nuts, avocado, olive oil to do this. As many other have stated stay away from the laxatives. You can drink senna tea in the evenings to stimulate movement.

If I read your post correctly, you are drinking 2 cups of coffee and 3L of water every day. 9 cups of water is great, but you've added more fiber to your diet, try for 12 cups or 4L of water for a couple of weeks.

Basically you have to experiment to find what will work for your body. What works for me (and others) will not necessarily provide the same results for you. You've received a lot of great posts. Determine which once you can incorporate into your lifestyle and try them for a period of time until you find the results you are seeking.

Kudos on sticking to a healthier lifestyle for these 4 weeks in spite of the frustration!
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As someone mentioned, there are parts to the equation. You said you get between 25-30 g of fiber per day which is great, and you drink 3 L of water, also great :) But unless you have enough fat in your diet to help "move things along" you will remain constipated.
    Skip the laxatives and fit your guacamole and feta back in your diet! Fat is not the enemy, it is a nutritionally important component for your diet. The fat doesn't have to come from fried food, but full-fat dairy and nuts are two other excellent sources of fat.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • loosebyjune
    loosebyjune Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It did that too me too until I got used to the diet. I drank Mt. Dew and that helped me like coffee. I added high fiber cereals and flavored oatmeal in the AM and that helped a lot. Post GREEK yogurt cereal is around 16-20% Fiber. Easy, cheap fix. Kroger has it on sale here for around $1.88 a box with Kroger discounts. (5 for 5 etc) GL!

Oh and I am 5'5' currently 131
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    How is your eating with green vegetables? Try adding in more spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage or collard greens.
  • intrepidelephant
    Options
    Everything really fatty in my diet was takeout. Timmies Breakfast sandwiches, Indian Takeout, the All Day breakfast (which took me literally all day to eat with guacamole, sour cream, feta, fried eggs, tomatoes, greens, bread, butter etc.), muffins, Tuna sandwiches from the lunch counters, Ice Caps. The diet was also to try and cut down on expenses on getting everything takeout. I'm eating about 1500-1700 calories. I've always been active anyway. Some running combined daily 1-3 hour walks.

This is a bit typical

Breakfast
    Peanut Butter
    High Fiber Toast
    Orange

Snack
    Green Salad with Balsamic Dressing

Late Lunch
    High Fiber Bread, salami, cheese sandwich

Dinner
    Hamburger/Yogourt/Another Sandwich/Dried Fruit and Nuts (I never sit down for dinner since I'm not usually home til after 8)
  • oh goodness... the subject of poop.

when i eat healthy (mostly fruits and veg with some protein) i poop like crazy.

your poops actually tell you about your health too...

you ultimately want them to be solid without causing you any pain to release.

if your poops are too soft, you need more fiber.

if the poops are floating, you need way less fat.

if the poops are broken up, you need more carbs.

if you are constipated... eesh, like these nice folks said, coffee is a good temporary fix. i'd avoid the laxatives as they can cause tons of stomach discomfort.

you're body will adjust, just make sure that you eat enough fiber like everyone also said. fruits, veg, or metamucil from the store will help. i always aim for at least 50% of each meal to be fiber rich foods and i'm never constipated.

hope this helps.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Juicy fruits help keep things moving. Watermelon and cantaloupe FTW

EDIT: Reminds me of a TV commercial from the late 80's for gum.

"Juicy fruit, is gonna move ya, the juice is soft, it gets right to ya!!!"
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everything really fatty in my diet was takeout. Timmies Breakfast sandwiches, Indian Takeout, the All Day breakfast (which took me literally all day to eat with guacamole, sour cream, feta, fried eggs, tomatoes, greens, bread, butter etc.), muffins, Tuna sandwiches from the lunch counters, Ice Caps. The diet was also to try and cut down on expenses on getting everything takeout. I'm eating about 1500-1700 calories. I've always been active anyway. Some running combined daily 1-3 hour walks.

This is a bit typical

Breakfast
    Peanut Butter
    High Fiber Toast
    Orange

Snack
    Green Salad with Balsamic Dressing

Late Lunch
    High Fiber Bread, salami, cheese sandwich

Dinner
    Hamburger/Yogourt/Another Sandwich/Dried Fruit and Nuts (I never sit down for dinner since I'm not usually home til after 8)

I'm honestly trying to figure out why you say "Everything fatty was fast food" over and over. Okay. So it was. If you really want a "healthy diet," you have to have some forms of fat in it, and enough that the macro does it's job. You're constipated, you're not eating too much, so add some in. Conversely, drop some fiber. It's a balancing act. Don't eat high fiber bread with every meal, or add in more fat. Your choice.

I just don't understand why you keep linking fat with fast food. Fat exists outside of fast food, and if you pooped with fast food, it was the fat content doing it. You dropped your "main source" of fat, so find another one.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I had this problem recently too. Definitely agree with all the advice to drink lots and lots of water. I also started taking a probiotic and also once a day before dinner drink water with phyllium husk (I got the plain kind from Trader Joe's) and this seems to have helped a lot. You can also try a small amount of pear juice but it's very high in calories.
  • intrepidelephant
    Options
    How do I get extra fat into my diet without cooking or processed food/takeout? I quite literally never eat hot food. Nuts?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Before I never used to eat fruits and vegetables. I would generally eat fatty foods. Chinese or Indian Takeout twice a week, wraps, tuna sandwiches (with mayo), all-day breakfast with feta and guacamole, and goodies like cookies and I didn't get constipated. I was 5'6 and 140 lbs.

Now I'm 5'6 and 135 and always mildly constipated. I checked and I'm averaging 25-30 grams per day. I eat whole wheat bread, berries, carrots, beans, oranges. I'm allergic to raw apples, pears etc, but most fruit I'm OK with. I've taking out fried food and sweets. I also drink about 3 l of water per day.
    Don't worry, once you find this type of eating completely unsustainable and not worth the suffering, you will return to eating the fatty foods you like and be able to poop again.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How do I get extra fat into my diet without cooking or processed food/takeout? I quite literally never eat hot food. Nuts?

Nuts, full fat dairy, avocado, etc.

But there's nothing wrong with some processed foods/takeout. In fact, I'd argue that a diet with insufficient fats is more unhealthy than one that has a lot of takeout but appropriate calories/macros.
  • intrepidelephant
    Options
    Anything besides avocado? I have always thought they were kinda gross ):