Nuts and raisins healthy?

Options
So I am trying to lose weight and I am eating pretty healthy. I just don't know whether some of my snacks are good choices for weight loss? I excercise so I know i need some healthy fats so I would rather eat nuts for example than junk. Some people say nuts are so so fatty. I always thought the healthy fats were better than bad fats to eat? I need variety too, i cant eat almonds only!

i usually have

Nuts (unsalted): brazil, blanched almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans
Raisins, jumbo golden raisons, dried cranberries

oh also almond butter (pure 100%) or peanut butter (100% pure)

whats ur opinion?

Replies

• midohiowoodsman
    Options
    Nuts are good for you but they are calorie dense. So just don't "go nuts" and eat too many through out the day. Maybe 2 servings at most. Read the nutritional label and measure out the correct amount. And do the same with rasins!
  • Pensworth
    Pensworth Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    One of my staple snacks at work consists of almonds, cashews, pecans, and sunflower seeds. Altogether I only have about 2-3 oz... but that can take you pretty far. Peanuts are good too. Maybe try dried apricots or other dried fruits? It is all good stuff, just be aware of added salt and sugar. That has been an issue for me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    No food is particularly healthy or unhealthy on its own. You have to look at the whole picture. If it fits into your goals, you're getting a varied diet, and you don't have any medical reasons to avoid it, then you should be fine.

Fat is good for you. You need it to help with cell growth, hormone balance, vitamin absorption, etc. But it's calorie dense, which is why people mistakenly think they need to avoid it. Watch your calories. Watch your macros. And don't be afraid to eat the foods that you like.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Both have fantastic nutrients and are yummy. The only problem I've found with eating foods like that is if you don't measure out your portion carefully, it's easy to get more calories than you intend to. For instance, a 1/4 cup of raisins - well since they're soft, you could potentially cram quite a bit of raisins in that measuring cup and end up with more like 1.5-2 servings so weighing would be more precise. Or just buy pre measured snack packs