Food Addiction

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I never really put much credence into the "food addiction" stuff, but from some of the things I have been reading recently - I am almost certain the topic is way more complex than I could ever imagine, and certainly far less clear cut than certain people on MFP think.

There is a pretty great article by David A Wiss, in this months AARR, that focuses on the link between Addiction (in general) and hormones. Pretty interesting from not only the standpoint of potential food addiction, but how our food/diet can influence other types of addiction.

...According to Heber and Carpenter, obesity-associated inflammation modulated by leptin in the brain may promote addictive behaviors leading to a self-perpetuating cycle of addiction to food, as well as drugs/alcohol and process addictions such as gambling.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21499988

If you subscribe to AARR - the full article is worth a view. Warning - It's about 7 pages long and includes 94 different references so it isn't exactly a breezy read.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Wow people really get triggered when food addiction is brought up - I'm curious as to why some people find it SO threatening? Have yet to see any intelligent debate from people who claim it's impossible.

Can one of these people please provide some scientific studies or other evidence to show conclusively that hyper-palatable foods cannot trigger addiction mechanisms, rather than just shouting about it/being rude/saying it's boll*cks?
    As for your other links, I'm sorry, are we talking about rodents or humans, confused

There are plenty of studies using neuro imaging and other monitoring techniques on humans. Look them up on google scholar. And if you are so dismissive about rodent studies you really shouldn't use any kind of medical product, or even toiletries for that matter.
    Of alcohol and other such addictions, which ones made it into the DSM V? Just wondering

There is no such thing - the term is 'dependence' in psychiatry.
    No alcoholic blackout. Have you ever suffered from alcoholism? Have you ever been addicted to drugs? People love to compare them without ever having first hand knowledge.

I have been addicted to drugs and have also abused alcohol in the past. Because I have first hand knowledge can I make the comparison? What difference does it make? The co-morbidity of food-related disorders and other addictions is actually incredibly high, if you look into it.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    In......for reading about people making excuses to absolve themselves of personal responsibility.

It's not an excuse. I find it helpful in dealing with my overeating. Treating it as an addiction has helped me begin to lose weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Short definition of addiction. (from the American Society of Addiction Medicine and not my mate Dave down the gym).

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction

I quoted the above for the definition to then add my statement below and is not directed at you tennisdude200 but this being a general question to anyone that wants to answer it...

So would you say someone that would move money around from accounts to free up funds to pay for their addiction, or sell stuff or pawn things to get money to fuel their addiction, or buy their items that feed their addiction and make elaborate hiding places in the house and garage so their family would not find them, or belligerently abuse family members for over a decade when they attempted to intervene in your life to try to help you from an addiction you would swear you did not have, or become so depressed from the constant struggles you would go through that life just didn't seem like it was worth living so you sat in a chair with a loaded hand gun with the trigger cocked and the barrel in your mouth, crying and pleading to an emptying room that you needed help and no one was listening?? Does any of those constitute that someone may be dealing with an addiction??? or is this just a Disorder for the person suffering these symptoms???
  • kuolo
    Options
    Short definition of addiction. (from the American Society of Addiction Medicine and not my mate Dave down the gym).

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

Addiction is characterized by inability to consistently abstain, impairment in behavioral control, craving, diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships, and a dysfunctional emotional response. Like other chronic diseases, addiction often involves cycles of relapse and remission. Without treatment or engagement in recovery activities, addiction is progressive and can result in disability or premature death.

http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction

I quoted the above for the definition to then add my statement below and is not directed at you tennisdude200 but this being a general question to anyone that wants to answer it...

So would you say someone that would move money around from accounts to free up funds to pay for their addiction, or sell stuff or pawn things to get money to fuel their addiction, or buy their items that feed their addiction and make elaborate hiding places in the house and garage so their family would not find them, or belligerently abuse family members for over a decade when they attempted to intervene in your life to try to help you from an addiction you would swear you did not have, or become so depressed from the constant struggles you would go through that life just didn't seem like it was worth living so you sat in a chair with a loaded hand gun with the trigger cocked and the barrel in your mouth, crying and pleading to an emptying room that you needed help and no one was listening?? Does any of those constitute that someone may be dealing with an addiction??? or is this just a Disorder for the person suffering these symptoms???

THIS ^^^^
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    For kicks and giggles I began reading the first link.

I'm still giggling....

If you want to have a serious conversation, fine. If you're just going to be condescending, just leave and don't come back.
    If you want to have a serious conversation perhaps you should supply some serious evidence.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Food addiction sounds more like disordered eating to me, IMO...
    Hey old man, who asked you? Shouldn't you be doing exercises to workout the new iron man hip?????
    You better get your butt back into the gym soon, I have cookies waiting for you.

I'm there 5 days a week from 1 - 2 pm... you can leave the cookies at the front desk ;)
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Food addiction IS real and is something that needs to be spoken about and not swept under the rug!

hDEFBD3BF
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options

Perhaps you're correct. It's not uncommon when studying new diseases/mental disorders to misclassify them. That's why scientific studies always need to continue. There is always more to be learned.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    "I know this is a very controversial topic, so please look at these links, and let's incite another debate on this topic that nobody wins".

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Do I think food addiction is real? No.

Do I think Eating Disorders are real? Yes.

What are these articles talking about? The answer would be an eating disorder.

Binge eating is a disorder. Not an addiction.

And it is a disorder that stems from chronic extreme restriction. Your body is only looking for homeostasis. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Again, IMO...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This thread AGAIN???
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Hey old man, who asked you? Shouldn't you be doing exercises to workout the new iron man hip?????
    You better get your butt back into the gym soon, I have cookies waiting for you.

I'm there 5 days a week from 1 - 2 pm... you can leave the cookies at the front desk ;)
    Follow the trail of crumbs......that's where I'll be.

Nice...
  • kuolo
    Options
    "I know this is a very controversial topic, so please look at these links, and let's incite another debate on this topic that nobody wins".

Or lets break the mould and actually have some intelligent debate on both sides. You have the choice to perpetuate old patterns or enact some change here.
  • BigVeggieDream
    Options
    In......for reading about people making excuses to absolve themselves of personal responsibility.

I agreed with MRM27, I can't stand anyone with a so-called addiction - Drink, drugs, gambling, food, sex - it's all about will power: Just pull yourself together and get over it!

Someone who's dealt with addiction knows this is easier said than done. Is willpower needed? Absolutely, but it's much more than that. I read somewhere that some in the medical field believe addicts have more willpower than those who are not addicts. The willpower to continually try and retry in the face of repeated failure requires a huge amount of willpower. So don't accuse these people of not having willpower.
  • vjohn04
    Options

Or lets break the mould and actually have some intelligent debate on both sides. You have the choice to perpetuate old patterns or enact some change here.

be my guest. there are a few threads per day on this topic. I'm sure we need quite a few more. Why don't you go start a some?
  • vjohn04
    Options
    This thread AGAIN???

exactly.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    Do I think food addiction is real? No.

Do I think Eating Disorders are real? Yes.

What are these articles talking about? The answer would be an eating disorder.

Binge eating is a disorder. Not an addiction.

And it is a disorder that stems from chronic extreme restriction. Your body is only looking for homeostasis. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Again, IMO...

And regardless, no matter how it is classified, whatever name is given, the person suffering requires help. Psychological and physical. It is up to the individual suffering though (personal accountability anyone??) to realize this and acquire the necessary help.

Anyone who says they are helpless is fooling themselves.