Eating Healthier, But.....

Options
ptsmiles
ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
Over the last 4 weeks I have been eating a lot more fruits and veggies than I normally had been. I've also been experiencing more gas. Is this fairly normal when starting healthier eating? Will my body eventually adjust and stop. Sometimes the gas pain is painful. I've tried gas-ex and it hasn't really helped. I read that peppermint tea can help. I'm going to try that. Any pointers?

Replies

• mniakm
    mniakm Posts: 12
    Options
    Overall, your calorie intake is lower therefore it is possible you will have less stools as often as when you ate more foods, even though they may have been refined/processed. When a person eats less overall, even though you are eating healthier, you can become a bit constipated. This would happen to me too when I would eat healthier. Try this: metamucil fiber drink/psylium fibre every other day to help regulate your digestive system AND give it some time. Your body will eventually adjust. Good luck and great job on eating healthier!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Increasing your fruit and veggie intake (aka fiber) does cause gas. This is completely normal. Your body isn't used to having to process so much fiber, so there isn't enough beneficial bacteria in your intestines yet to deal with it.

It might take some time, but your body will adjust on its own.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It is nice to hear that it is normal..although embarrasing. lol
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Try eating slower, taking smaller bites and chewing more. It may help to reduce the gas :)
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    if you get painful gas (we call it getting vapor locked LOL) get up on all fours, and stick your butt up high, and go down on your elbows. you can also lay on your left side, curled up in a ball. it worked for me while i was pregnant and my insides were all mooshed up, it should work for you not pregnant :wink:

try some probiotics or some beano?