Calories

Options
I can't seem to even reach my 1300 calories a day goal with food. Every night when I finish it tells me my body is going to go into starvation mode, I have never been a snacker. My question is is it better to just stay under my goal, I am working out and only reaching about 1000 calories, or to fill in the calories with a can of soda or something like that? The scale isn't moving I am honestly willing to try almost anything.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you eat "diet" food or fat-free dairy? If so, simply switching to regular versions of things can easily add a couple 100 calories without increasing the volume of food.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Don't fill up the rest of the calories on junk food. Just eat bigger portions of what you're eating now. :D
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Assuming that your calories are accurate, that you have no medical reasons to avoid soda, and that you're getting enough vitamins and nutrients in the rest of your diet (including protein & fat), yes it is okay to have a can of soda to boost your calories.

Barring that, look for calorie dense foods to add to your diet. Nuts, nut butter, full fat dairy, Greek yogurt, ice cream, cheese, full calorie dressings and sauces, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, dark chocolate, avocado, seeds, fruit juices, protein shakes and smoothies, granola, granola bars, etc. It should be relatively easy to boost each meal by a few hundred calories with some pre-planning.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Try eating normal food.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not junk food - calorie dense food. Nuts, full fat dairy, nut butters, avocados, etc...

Also make sure you're accurately logging. Your diary is locked so it is hard to guess what might be in there - but if you aren't weighing or measuring your food you might be eating more than you think.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Try eating normal food.

Yeah. If you have 200 calories left, why not go eat a bowl of cereal? Cheese? Ice cream? Peanut butter?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Not junk food - calorie dense food. Nuts, full fat dairy, nut butters, avocados, etc...

Also make sure you're accurately logging. Your diary is locked so it is hard to guess what might be in there - but if you aren't weighing or measuring your food you might be eating more than you think.

If you really want to have some junk food ... have some junk food.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Even though you have to create a calorie deficiency in order to lose weight, you still must eat enough, especially when exercising in order for your body to burn calories. If you haven't done so, set-up your profile in MFP, it will give you a good starting point. Track everything and buy a food scale if needed. It is very important that you get to the correct balance or you'll be stuck for a long time.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Are you actually tracking your food accurately? If so, I find it pretty unlikely that you're full on 1000 calories. Unless you are diligently weighing (for ALL solid food) and measuring (every liquid) absolutely everything (including condiments and cooking oil), you are probably eating more than you think...possibly a lot more, if you're not losing. It is really easy to underestimate how much you're eating if you are not weighing and measuring accurately.

It's way more likely that this is the case and you are accidentally eating at maintenance than anything else, so this should always be the first question that is asked...way, way before anyone jumps to 'you need to eat more!'
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

If you really want to have some junk food ... have some junk food.

I totally agree - eat the junk food if you want and it fits your calories but it isn't the only option there is.